4,762 Reviews
 (3,759)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Movie With a Positive Message
I went to this movie reluctantly, mostly because my ten year old talked me into it. I had only seen the trailers and I was expecting an extended version of Spy vs Spy, which I have never really loved. This movie suprised and delighted me. Far from being a sad 3D version of silly one-upmanship, this movie had a lot of heart, and a lovely message.

I especially...
Published on October 20, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty funny
While certainly not my favorite animated film from 2010, this one was pretty funny. The movie is carried well by the zany minions and by Steve Carell and his ridiculous accent.
After a Pyramid of Giza is miraculously stolen, Gru, a villain whose criminal deeds have been undermined from the Pyramid heist, attempts to out-due all other villains by pulling off the...
Published on January 14, 2012 by Derek

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Movie With a Positive Message, October 20, 2010

I especially enjoyed how the main character struggled with the growth he experiences throughout the movie. We get to see him struggling with the difficulty of giving up his old behavior patterns and goals, even though he clearly sees that he could be happier if he let them go. And the difficulty that Groo's only friend has with the changes he experiences as he lets three little girls into his life, and how his friend tries to prevent him from changing, are a great reminder that sometimes when we make positive changes in our lives the people around us aren't always as supportive as they should be.

My son loved the movie too, although not for quite the same reasons I did. He wants a glass floor shark tank for our living room now. I said I'd think about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!!! Worth watching once., October 24, 2010
Georgia B (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Okay, first let me be clear. I in no way wanted to go and see this movie. Why did I go? Well that is what you have to do when you have a 10 year old brother and the parents don't want to take him to see it. Anyway, twenty minutes into the movie I started to think that the movie was okay for younger children, because it was quite a silly plot line (the main aim in the plot is that they want to shirink the moon) and was maybe lacking in some emotion. However, I have to admit by the end of the movie I quite enjoyed it, you really get to see Gru (our villian turned dad),on his journey and see the changing emotions he has to go through, not to mention the decisions he has to make. Some of the scenes our quite touching and some of the dialogue is quite humerous.
Now I just want to mention the cast, there is a very good cast including the very funny Steve Carell, Jason Segal, Julie Andrews, Russell Brand leading the cast but of course I have to give credit to the actresses who played the three girls Miranda Cosgrove who was excellent playing the smart older sister, Dana Gaier as the moody teenager and finally there is Elsie Fisher who at about 8 years old is a natural.
So overall I think that this is a great family movie, the kids will enjoy it more but I enjoyed it and I am a 16 year old girl, however i think that it isnt a movie I would watch over and over again but I think children would.
It is definatley worth a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's a Villain, But He's Not a Bad Guy, July 9, 2010
While not quite as wondrous or challenging as a Disney/Pixar film, "Despicable Me" is still a lot of fun, able to make audiences laugh without having to sacrifice story or character development. It's also one of the few animated films to not entertain the idea of heroes - it merely distinguishes between evil villains and not-so-evil villains, the latter apparently capable of good deeds despite their propensity for hatching diabolical schemes. Such a person is Gru (voiced by Steve Carell), who looks like a pointy-nosed Fester Addams and speaks in a pseudo-Russian accent so delightfully phony, it only adds to his charm. His goal has always been to become the world's greatest super villain, but as the film progresses, we realize that, underneath it all, he's actually a pretty nice guy.

He certainly has the means to be a criminal mastermind; within his vast secret lair beneath his looming black house, he and the goggled Dr. Nefario (voiced by Russell Brand) have overseen the creation of ray guns that can freeze people and blow things up, vehicles that can drive on surface streets but look serious enough to drill through the Earth's crust, flying machines equipped with every missile known to man, and tiny robots disguised as chocolate chip cookies. The problem is, Gru's notoriety has been overshadowed by rival super villain Vector (voiced by Jason Siegel), who looks like Bill Gates in an orange jumpsuit and lives in an obscenely secured white fortress (surveillance cameras, hundreds of missiles, trick doors, shark-infested moats - the whole nine yards). Hoping to regain his status, Gru plots his greatest heist yet: Stealing the moon.

Of course, it will have to be shrunk to a manageable size, which is why Gru needs Vector's extra special shrink ray. Here enters three orphaned girls - Margo (voiced by Miranda Cosgrove), Edith (voiced by Dana Gaier), and Agnes (voiced by Elsie Fisher) - who get by selling boxes of cookies door to door; Gru adopts them, knowing that they can safely infiltrate Vector's fortress. What begins as a simple plan turns complicated when the girls start behaving like the children they are. They run around. They make noise. They touch things they're not supposed to touch. They always want to be read a story before going to bed. Aside from those things, they actually expect to be raised, a responsibility Gru has avoided after growing up with a sourpuss mother (voiced by Julie Andrews). Does he have it within himself to be a dad and a super villain?

Many animated films have scenes stolen by the antics of their supporting characters. "Despicable Me" is no exception; here, we have Gru's minions, a multitude of yellow ball-shaped one- or two-eyed creatures of unknown origin that speak fast, high-pitched gibberish and are a bit accident prone. You look at one and just can't help but want to punt it across a football field. It would probably be able to take it, judging by the hilarious physical abuse they all endure throughout the film. They're goofy, broad, and given the best sight gags, so naturally, they thoroughly upstage all the other characters every time they appear in a scene. They're even given their own epilogue segments during the end credits, which have little to do with the actual story but deftly take advantage of the film's 3-D effects.

Ah yes, the 3-D, seemingly inescapable these days. It's a process I admittedly have mixed feelings about. Sometimes is works beautifully (Disney's "A Christmas Carol," "Avatar," "Alice in Wonderland"). Sometimes, it's either an unnecessary gimmick ("Clash of the Titans," "My Bloody Valentine 3-D") or a total disaster ("The Last Airbender"). I'm glad to say that it works for "Despicable Me," especially during a scene at a boardwalk amusement park when Gru and the girls ride a roller coaster. There's also the moment when Gru makes an emergency landing in the middle of the street; the point of his shuttlecraft juts out from the screen, which momentarily made me think it would poke out my eye. Still, if you have the choice, go for traditional 2-D. Aside from paying less at the box office, you won't have to bother with the glasses, which can often times be a distraction.

Regardless of the dimension involved, "Despicable Me" is a delightful film - funny, sweet, and a triumph of animation and visual effects. Kids will enjoy it for its bright colors and physical humor, and this will almost certainly include Dr. Nefario's demonstration of a gun that emits a foul-smelling gas: "It was supposed to be a DART gun!" Gru exclaims in frustration. Adults will like it for its subtler touches, like a sign that reads "The Bank of Evil (formerly Lehman Brothers)." Everyone is sure to enjoy its good-natured spirit, especially when it's coupled with scenes of Gru's minions. Mark my words: They will be remembered long after memories of the plot have faded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watched it over and over again!, February 22, 2011
I love this movie! It was so cute. My daughter loves it. She never gets tired of seeing it, and I have to admit I love seeing it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3D Review by a 3D Connoisseur, April 19, 2011
Keith Niemeyer (LaCrosse, WI USA) - See all my reviews
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

There are about 32 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer, another 11 around 25% and 4 more that exceeded 25%. At least 10 of the 32, 10% effects were just a nose sticking out. The in-screen 3D is fairly consistent but has a SLIGHTLY shallower depth of field compared to other 3Ds. All in all, well worth watching multiple times.

*** Entertaining with a comical & a feel-good story line - Crisp graphics ***

MY 3D RATING = VERY GOOD (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried, and I enjoyed my first digital 3D movie, July 10, 2010
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)
I had seen the various teaser trailers for "Despicable Me" and it looked okay, but it was not until I saw the trailer that suddenly introduced three little girls into the mix that I was actually interested in going to catch this in the theater instead of waiting for the DVD. The little yellow minions were certainly cute enough, but it was the whole idea of how the character of Gru, a nefarious villain who is plotting to steal the money, ends up having to take care of those three little girls that got me interested. After all, these are computer animated little girls, which means they have those great big eyes. Well, in turns out, that Gru has hatched up his evil plan to steal the moon because the villain down the street, Vector, has been stealing Gru's thunder (well, actually, Vector stole a pretty big landmark). The three little girls, who live in a local for-profit orphanage, have been going door to door selling cookies. Gru turned them away, but Vector loves cookies, which gives Gru an idea that involves the girls and cookie-robots for this wacky new moon race.

One of the things I found impressive about this movie is that Gru's voice never really sounded like Steve Carell, and the same can be said for Julie Andrews as his mom or Kristen Wiig as Miss Hattie. An animated film where the voices do not conjure up the actual actors and actresses is rather refreshing. But the voices are really secondary to the main strength of the movie, which is that it is pretty much non-stop comic cuteness. I loved the fact that each of the minions has his own name, even if I could not remember the names or really tell any of the minions apart, and it was nice to see that the two-eyed and one-eyed minions all got along with each other in complete and utter minion harmony. This is one of those madcap movies that throws little jokes and gags in at pretty much any opportunity. Meanwhile, the closer Gru gets to his goal of stealing the moon, the more it becomes obvious to us that the bad guy is having his heart stolen. I had my expectations of how it would play out, and all of my guesses turned out to be wrong, and most of what directors Chris Renaud (the Oscar nominated short "No Time For Nuts") and Pierre Coffin (the U.K animated short "Gary's Fall") came up with was better. I laughed and I cried, which is pretty much as good as it gets at the movies.

This was my first movie in digital 3D and to my surprise I survived the experience without having my head blow up like it does when I see totally hand-held camera movies like "Cloverfield." The only downside was going out in the bright sunlight after wearing "dark" glasses for a couple of hours. On the one hand I have nothing specific to which I can compare my digital 3D experience, but it was nice to actual enjoy thinking that objects were about to hit my nose as opposed to seeing a 3D move in 2D like "My Bloody Valentine 3D" and being annoyed anytime a patently obvious 3D gimmick pops up on screen. I guess I find the visual tricks a lot more fun in an animated film than in a horror flick. I might be willing to try a non-animated digital 3D movie next, although those all seem to be CGI dominated films, but I guess that is to be expected. Apparently they can turn anything into digital 3D, but I am not sure if I am ready for the technology to be applied to "Gone with Wind," "Casablanca," and "Citizen Kane," although it cannot possibly be as bad as colorization. Anyhow, I liked the 3D experience way more than I had anticipated and for the rest of you that went gaga over "Avatar" or "Toy Story 3" in 3D, all I can say is that my sense of wonder this time around probably made me bump the rating up higher than I might have if I had seen the movie in 2D, but it was definitely a key part of my wonderful experience today.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first 3D bluray, and the 3D looks amazing on my 3D HDTV, March 16, 2011
This is a childrens movie for the most part. There were a few scenes that made me laugh, but all in all it was made for the little ones (as most animations are). I bought this for my 8 year old son and he watches it over and over again. Any child aged from 4-12 would watch this movie at least 15 times. GREAT movie!
As for the 3D feature.... I was blown away by the quality of the 3D. It really impressed me and if you have the equipment to view a 3D bluray at home, i would highly suggest getting this movie. It has the WOW FACTOR. 5outof5

****to view a 3D bluray you must have a 3D HDTV, 3D bluray player, and the stereoscopic 3D glasses to match your display****

4.0 out of 5 stars The Grinch Who Stole...The Moon, January 20, 2011
Forget about producing and directing films with real people...let's make cartoons! I mean really...I'm not saying it's easy, but take Despicable Me for example. You take a guy (Chris Renaud) that worked in production on some relatively successful animated releases over the past couple of years and team him with a guy (Pierre Coffin) that's worked in production on some pretty unknown animated releases, get Steve Carell to be your lead voice, and voilà! You make half a billion bucks (to date) with your first go-around in the director's chair for a full length animated feature. Sheesh. Did I ever go into the wrong business!

The story is old as the hills but it works yet again. Show a bad guy the value of family and love and maybe his heart will grow to appreciate all that is good and what he's been missing in the world. The Grinch, Scrooge, Darth Vader and now...Gru.

Steve Carell is Gru and Gru is a supervillain that will not be outdone by up and comer supervillain Vector. So Gru tricks three orphan girls into helping him with a diabolical plan. Sounds evil, right? Nah. G-rated stuff (oh, that is unless you ask the MPAA who gave the movie a PG. PG? Really!?! The MPAA these days will make Winnie the Pooh look like Freddie Kruger if you give them enough time). No, there is no need to fear, parents; the only evil in Despicable Me is that it made a half a billion dollars and I wasn't involved in the making of the movie.

Despicable Me is really funny, heartwarming and great for the whole family. Add it to your cart; it will be watched over and over again by the kids (until Despicable Me 2 comes out in 2013).

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enteraining Movie For The Entire Family in 3D, January 22, 2011
Having just installed a new 3D TV I have been on a random buying spree trying to acquire 3D movies. This one had received some good reviews so I decided to add it to my collection as a 3D demo disc.

Well it turned out the movie has not only some good 3D moments, but is also fun to watch even though I'm way past childhood. The movie is whimsical, light-hearted and full of fun; a good family movie. We'll be watching it again soon!

It was interesting to note that some of the best 3D effects occur as the final credits roll so be sure and keep your glasses on and watch the final credits.

I can recommend this movie for both the movie and the 3D effects.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest animated movies this year, November 2, 2010
Jinny (Danville, VA, US) - See all my reviews
My kids & I thoroughly enjoyed this film! I laughed til I cried! Definitely one of the best movies we saw this summer! I can't wait for it to come out on DVD; it's at the top of our Christmas list!

Despicable Me