5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Restaurant Cookbook / Memoir Buy it Now.
`Desserts by the Yard' is by Sherry Yard, possibly the most prominent pastry chef in the United States today, as the Executive Pastry Chef to all of Wolfgang Puck's many restaurants, a winner of the best pastry chef award from the James Beard Foundation, and the author of the James Beard Award winning first book, `The Secrets of Baking'. When I reviewed her first book, I...
Published on November 7, 2007 by B. Marold

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes in this book don't work!
Let me start by saying I'm an experienced baker and that I actually liked her first book, but unfortunately some of the recipes in this one don't work. I would recommend anything from Nancy Silverton, Karen DeMasco, Claudia Fleming, Emily Luchetti, Lindsey Shere and David Lebovitz. One thing this book has are pretty staged pictures and interesting ideas, so maybe buy it...
Published on August 17, 2012 by Baking Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for chefs with some experience, July 28, 2013
Jo N (Queens, NY) - See all my reviews
You can never be too old to learn more about baking. This book is beautiful, interesting, and very informative. Better techniques, new ideas-- some are too complicated for my skills, but there are many that are actually easy. I made a batch of choc chip cookies that actually yielded an empty plate before I could rescue any for my husband! My friends started wrapping them up in napkins and taking them home. I could hardly believe the response!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cook book, June 18, 2013
This review is from: Desserts by the Yard: From Brooklyn to Beverly Hills: Recipes from the Sweetest Life Ever (Hardcover)
I loved her other book allot, so I bought this one as well. Its a pretty good cook book, however, there really isn't that many deserts in it I would make, just not my cup of tea I guess. The other book covered the whole spectrum of A-Z baking and this one was more about her journey in baking, I have found some desert components I will probly make and use so its not a total loss. I also enjoyed reading about her baking journey and got something from that as well. The recipes are a bit eclectic , kind of like a bit from this part of the world and a bit from this part of the world, and no real rhyme or reason to it as far as I could tell. Not that that's a bad thing, it isn't, unless your looking for specific type of baking, say French or Italian then I wouldn't recommend this book for you. However if you love baking and want a crash course in multiple baking cuisines then this book is a good place to start. One last ting, its not a good cook book for people who don't have an advance background in baking , its no a good baking book for beginners, however it is a good read and will help you understand Sherry better and how she got were she is today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, March 10, 2013
This is one of the most beautiful written and visual pastry books I have ever seen. I bought another for a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Commonly used in our house, April 28, 2013
We love this cookbook. From the Campton Place pancakes to her Chocolate Chip Cookies this cookbook is absolutely amazing. We only had one recipe that did not turn out well but I will pin that on my lack of experience rather than faulting Miss Yard on her abilities which are always complemented by anyone who has had the joy of eating her food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Baker, Beautiful Results, June 27, 2011
I actually borrowed this book from my local library, but will be ordering a personal copy from Amazon.com. I do find that the review discussing the poor binding on this book is true. The book in my possession appears brand new, yet the binding is falling apart. That is very unfortunate.

Last night, I made the pretzels, cornbread and Brooklyn-sized black and whites (minus the frosting, as there is only so much time in one day). Everything turned out fabulous. While I do believe that I made some of the simpler recipes, even the pretzels, which require a fair amount of prep and inactive time, were easily made following the clear instructions in the book. Having been to Germany many times, I would say that while these guys beat my local German owned bakery, they unfortunately can't compete with my favorite local bakery overseas. This is to be expected given that food grade lye is used in preparation of those guys, and that just simply isn't going to happen in my kitchen. So, they are as good as they are going to get, and absolutely gorgeous. I topped mine with some pepitas to get the seasonal feel, as they do in Germany. Yum.

The black and whites make not as many giant sized cookies as the recipe purports, but even without the fondant frosting, the cake of the cookies is irresistible and so tasty, that they may not survive my household long enough to see frosting.

The cornbread with the honey and butter glaze is out of this world. My husband grew up in Texas and Tennessee, and doesn't like cornbread. He sure didn't seem to have a problem with this one! It was wonderfully sweet and moist. At first, I was concerned about all of the glaze - with the water I thought it would be too much and make the cake wet and slimy. But, it was absolutely perfect.

I had previously purchased Rose's Heavenly Cakes and found those recipes to be very authoritarian regarding technique and ingredients, with a lot of expensive ingredients demanded and less than positive results. I have found this book to be truly worth the time and expense.

Thank you Sherry Yard. This one will have a space on my shelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best cookbooks, April 12, 2009
while some of her recipes are complex - i.e. some that require yuzu a half lemon, half grapefruit- most are fairly simple and come out beautiful! :) Great recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars love this cookbook, November 21, 2010
This is a great book by a great pastry chef. I made the devils food cake and it was the best chocolate cake I ever made!! The illustrations are wonderful!!

4.0 out of 5 stars not so clean condition, October 8, 2014
dirty dust cover, food spills on side of pages

4.0 out of 5 stars Book was a little beat up but the book is great!, January 26, 2014
Content is the same. There is that old adage "You get what you pay for" and I did. The book was used and a little worn/torn when I received. It was delivered quickly. Sherry Yard is a great pastry chef whose desserts are not only beautiful but delicious. Love her stories too.

3.0 out of 5 stars More like a baking book for chefs than the average homebaker, September 28, 2013
I regret buying this book, simply because most of the ingredients mentioned this baking book are way too expensive! Some of the recipes are easy to follow and delicious.

Used & New from: $8.97