Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Destination Truth: Season 1
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on April 10, 2010
My husband and I have been fans of this show since it began, and have been waiting forever for it to hit DVD. We can only hope the rest of the seasons follow shortly.

There are a lot of reasons this is my favorite show. For one, I've always been a fan of Cryptozoology, but this show manages to be informative and very funny at the same time. Unlike other shows on the topic (Monster Quest, Is It Real?, ect.), Destination Truth manages to respect the subject matter without taking itself too seriously. Host Josh Gates is a fantastic host. He knows his stuff, but makes sure to have fun on the journey. This show also stands out for putting the spotlight not just one the Bigfoot, Ghosts and Sea Creatures of the world, but on the towns and people that pass these legends on. Each episode informs us not only of the creature being looked into, but the area, culture and people who live at each location. It is like the best of travel, cryptozoology and great comedy. Josh is helped in his adventures by a team of researchers, specialist and other companions that bring their knowledge as well as their personality to each show.

With each episode generally highlighting two investigations, most of which take place internationally, the sights and sounds are always fresh and exciting. I would also note that fans of SyFy Channel's Ghost Hunters would be excited to see Jay and Grant (as well as others from their show) appear from time to time to offer their expertise. And even the seeming little details, like transportation or what is on the local menu, help to keep this show on my must see tv list. I am so glad the SyFy Channel has supported this show and hope it stays on tv for a long time.
on February 3, 2010
So glad this is finally going to be released on dvd. This show is great, I wish more people watched it or knew about it. Its basically following a small crew of people around the world, led by Josh Gates, trying to find and prove or disprove the existence of cultural mythological creatures. At first I dismissed this show as being too sci-fi or geeky which is not the genre I am generally interested in. But this show is really so much more then that, though they do spend a lot of time showing the investigation into these creatures, its also about the journey these people take. The local people they meet, strange foods, unexpectedly convertible airplanes, its all about the experience of traveling off the beaten path and letting go of preconceived notions. Sure none of these creatures probably actually exist, and they rarely find solid evidence (save for the yeti footprint that was pretty cool), but at the end of the episode you are still satisfied with new information about both a creature and a culture. Also, it has to be said that Josh Gates is a great host; he's funny and charming and quick to poke fun at himself, the crew, and the the absurdity of some of the situations they find themselves in. It would not be the same show without him. Even if this "monster hunting" isn't generally your thing I would give this show a chance if you love quirky humor, wit, adventure, or travel.
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2012
Over two years since this was released. Where are the rest of the seasons? I realize that we live in the days of streaming video feeds, but some of us like a hard copy of our favorite shows. You know, with behind the scenes footage and commentaries? Let's go, guys.
77 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2010
This show has been one of my favorites for a while and I'm glad it's FINALLY being released on DVD. This show = Ghost Hunters + folklore/urban legends (and the occasional ghost hunt). Joshua Gates and his crew travel the world seeking to find evidence of different creatures and spirits from all sorts of different civilizations and cultures, including the Chupacabra, Yeti, Bigfoot, Gnomes, Aliens, and even an Island of Haunted Dolls. Some episodes reveal little to no evidence, while others reveal exciting experiences (the randomness makes it more interesting.) The show maintains a scientific methodology by heavily researching their cases (even rendering 3D models on the computer to make the creatures more lifelike!) If you're a fan of legends, mythology, and sci-fi, then this show will surely interest you. I will definitely be the first to purchase this DVD set.
on May 11, 2010
I had seen Josh on Ghost Hunters so I was aware of his humor so I thought I would give his show a try. I am so glad I have because its my favorite show, only drawback it isn't on very long. I was b blown away by the groups trip to Japan & the haunted forest. That by far made me a true follower because looking at Josh's face after he saw a ghost was priceless. That show has sent me to look further into this part of Japans sad history there. this is truly a great show. A must see,
on May 26, 2010
We don't get Syfy channel in deepest darkest New Zealand, but I had heard interesting things about this series and thought I'd give it a go.
While it wasn't 100% what I was expecting, the humour more than made up for anything the show is lacking.
Josh Gates is charismatic, and the show introduces legends not well known, and countries that are ill explored.
A very light, paranormal show.
Very enjoyable and recommended!
on May 15, 2010
While I love the 2nd and 3rd seasons more, my mom gave me this for my birthday and it was fun to revisit where it all started. I do think Josh and his team have it a bit more together in future seasons though. Josh really makes the show fun and entertaining!
on May 15, 2013
I really enjoy this show, I can't seem to get enogh of Josh Gates and crew on there wild excursion to exotic and creepy places to try and discover the truth behinds myths and sometimes paranormal places. Josh is such an entertaning figure, with his quick wit and timely sarchasm he can sometimes make you forget that what they are doing is extremly dangerous and very remote if something where to go wrong. I have almost purchased every season, and they are all great. I recommend you watch some other episodes from other seasons before you make a decision on this show as there was a liitle bit of a learning curve from season 1 episode one to season 5 episode 7. I love them all but if you only want to watch a few I recommend Season 2, Ep. 11: Haunted Forest/Aswang" , Season 3, Ep. 1 "Haunted Forest/Alux" : Season 3, Ep. 3 "King Tut's Curse" : MY FAVORITE Season 3, Ep. 4 "Ghosts Of Chernobyl" : Season 4, Ep. 14 "Ghosts of Antarctica", They are all great but these where definitely some standout shows.
on April 5, 2011
I know, I know. The show hardly shows any real proof of the existence of the paranormal or beastly creatures, but for some reason I find the show entertaining. Josh Gates adds his travel experience and comedy relief as the adventurers circle the globe trying to find proof for the show. Sure it gets frustrating when they act like something is there and nothing shows when they come back to the cliffhanger. I'm still giving the show a chance.

Down the road the show will run out of ideas or monsters, but until then try and enjoy the series. I look forward to buying the DVD's when they come out for the other seasons.
on April 7, 2015
First of all, allow me to say that I am a confirmed skeptic when it comes to cryptozoology. I'll believe in the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, Champ, and their various cousins when a body turns up. Don't get me wrong. Like the famous poster in the X-Files, I want to believe. I just need more proof than a fuzzy photo or a cast of a large foot. However, this show really isn't about that, even if it is the underlying premise.

No, Destination Truth is a travelogue. It's a very entertaining show hosted by an extremely likeable and charismatic host that is filmed in many interesting and exotic locations worldwide. We get to see the landscapes, meet the people, and occasionally be introduced to some very unappealing yet edible delicacies. We see the massive stone pyramids of the Yucatan and Cambodia. We traverse the mysterious, murky rivers of Africa and South America. We dive on shipwrecks, scramble through caves, and thrash our way through dense vegetation ("Back, back, back...Snake!"). And we get to all of these exotic places in some of the most questionable and unreliable methods of transportation ever devised. Plus, we get to hear the local villagers warn Josh that he will surely be eaten by whatever monster is lurking in the neighborhood. Surely.

It's all very enjoyable, and it's a shame it only ran for five seasons. Unlike many series, this one never deteriorated in quality or entertainment value. The very last episode in Season Five is every bit as good as the first episode in Season One.

So buy them all if you want to see the world courtesy of a very entertaining host and crew. But don't expect to see the Giant Peruvian Mountain Walrus; that's really not what the show is all about.