5.0 out of 5 stars This will be my "Spring Cleaning"
This book was a delight to read. Natalia's endearing style of addressing the readers as "Ladies,.." makes for an especially personable tone. (She does say at one point that men are also welcome to join in!)

Published on April 17, 2009 by Susan Schenck

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but lacking...
+1 Star for Personality: This book definitely takes the "girl's best friend" approach. Natalia Rose is cute, sassy, and personable. Her conversational writing style makes this book a quick read, especially for those who are new to the health-food dialogue.

Published on July 28, 2009 by R. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but lacking..., July 28, 2009
R. Harris (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)

+1 Star for "Easy-to-Read": I finished the book in about 2 hours. It's an easy read, full of little stories of success and fun ideas related to your becoming healthy. There's a lot of hope in each page, an explanation for why you feel the way you do, and how you can beat that bloat, stop that constipation, live a life full of energy, etc, etc. The Receipes are even fun to peruse, as Natalia's comments are squeezed in.

+ 1 Star for Decent Concept of eating: The test of any detoxification/diet-specific/change-your-life-by-eating book is the recipes. I've tried some doozies in the past, but this book actually has the best juicing recipe I've ever tried. The Green Lemonade is fantastic. The salads are good (CAUTION: see my note below about stevia) and she mixes raw with cooked vegetables to the health of the reader. She supports the concept of a mix of mostly raw/some cooked foods is the optimum way to good health, and it's delicious to try.

- 1 Star for Lack of Sound Information: The nutritional jargon is kept to a minimum, and any specific buzz words/nutrition vocabulary is given an everyday example to make it relatable - the definition of Alkaline vs. Acid is wrapped up in a story about 7th grad science class, and detoxification is given broad, sweeping, feel-good meaning. This is fine, if you're looking for it, but as Natalia is not a doctor, nor an RD, but a nutritionist, I was hoping to see some sort of research included in footnotes to support her nutritional advice. There is none of this, it's simply "take Natalia's word for it", and as she doesn't have the credentials behind her, I don't feel comfortable with that. Be cautious of those who think they have the answer and can't show any proof of it other than a few promotional client accounts. In fact, in one case specifically, she discounts all sound advice and research and advocates not eating breakfast. Big red flag. It felt like there were big gaping holes in her book (holes called "research" and "other opinions from those in the nutrition field" and "facts" in the midst of feel-good advice).

- 1 Star for limited menu and STEVIA: Look, I like me some stevia. But this woman puts it in EVERYTHING! I've never seen someone encourage stevia for every dish they make. She has essentially widdled her personal menu down to a few things - stevia, lemons, salads, goat cheese and marinara over vegetables - and she advocates the same thing for every woman. It's like she found a way to keep really thin eating these five things and she says that's what everyone should eat, regardless of supported research or other professionals' views. I have an issue with that. She focuses primarily on healing Candidas, which is a serious problem for many, but doesn't really give any medical explanation, any supported viewpoint.

Bottom-line: Fun read, took away a few tips and pointers, but I would not follow the book to the letter. Hope this helps you!

5.0 out of 5 stars This will be my "Spring Cleaning", April 17, 2009
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)

The beginning of the book builds suspense with comments such as, "You will see results in the first few days, and in one month you will have scaled the heights of what the female body can become--and it only gets better the longer you do it!"

The first section explains the importance of cleaning out on a cellular level and how toxins compromise not only our health but appearance (under-circle eyes, puffiness around the eyes, cellulite, etc). The second section deals with 3 steps to detox: various stages of starving the yeast, making a plan, and gearing up for action and discipline. Part three contains the program: what to eat, what food combinations work (and she has made this very simple!), what to avoid, what to stock up on, etc. There is even a 30-day guide for those that like everything spelled out for them. Part four is filled with recipes.

Part five has all kinds of detox and exercise tips, including handling ten objections of procrastinators. I love the way she handles the "my family doesn't eat this way" excuse. She tells people to gradually feed the family better food, sneaking it in so they won't even notice or feel deprived! She does a great job of handling the "but I'm on vacation" excuse as well. This section also dispels many myths, such as the causes of infertility, body odor, cancer, etc, showing that at the root of all dis-ease are toxins. Even the menstrual period is light and breezy when a woman is cleansed, which I discovered very quickly after going raw.

Interspersed throughout the text are real-life testimonials from women whom Natalia has worked with, as well as nice boxed information about various items such as the importance of alkalinity, herbal cleansers, and raw goat cheese.

I have read hundreds of books on health and nutrition (even wrote one myself) and yet learned lots of little tidbits of info, such as a new brand of stevia that isn't bitter, which brand of enema is best, and the scientific explanation of why I feel so much energy after eating greens.

Since I am a raw fooder, I rarely actually go on the diets recommended by nutrition books, but my size 6 jeans are a bit tight so I think I will do this "spring cleaning." This diet will be easy to adapt since it is mostly raw. I will forgo the raw goat cheese (which I find constipating), eat only a bit of fish, but raw (ceviche), and steam the squash lightly instead of baking it (fewer toxins produced). I'll keep my chocolate treats raw as well. The only hard part for me will be making the juices since I hate juicing, but Natalia holds that juicing is "sacred" and I have to agree. I just don't like the work involved :-(.

The main criticism I have is that while Natalia recommends eating fish, she doesn't point out which fish are especially to be avoided (the larger ones, such as tuna and swordfish, which are higher in mercury). Other than that, this is a great book and even though I will miss my curried almonds and macadamia nuts, I actually can't wait to get on this diet and try many of the recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A diet plan that actually delivers!, January 24, 2010
flo (oakland, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm just starting the third week of Natalia Rose's detox plan, and I have to say I love it. I did it last year for about four weeks and lost 15-20 pounds; this time I'm not weighing myself, but my pants are definitely fitting better. Besides helping me get closer to the "sleek" body Natalia promises, I notice other consistent results. I have more energy, and I do feel healthier. I also never get bloated or nauseated--my body is at ease.

I've tried other plans that give me such good results--namely Gittleman's Fat Flush plan, but this plan is remarkably easy to follow. As other's have said, I feel as though (with the addition of some "safe grains" Natalia mentions and more fruits occasionally) I can follow this plan for life. Like the Fat Flush, this plan consists of mostly vegetables and a few proteins (eggs, wild non-predatory fish) and virtually no fruit, no grains at all (save for a few safe choices like buckwheat, millet, or quinoa, if you must). But unlike some other hardcore detox plans, Natalia understands you may need some dark chocolate after your dinner and a few glasses of wine with it.

For best results, if you are low-energy like me, make sure you find away to get those vegetable juices in the morning--it really makes this plan work. And please, don't believe the bad reviews about the green lemonade until you've tried it yourself! If someone had told me I would be leaving my old standby carrot juice behind for a blend of primarily kale and romaine (don't forget the lemon, ginger and stevia) I would have scoffed for sure. Now it is my favorite breakfast drink and my slimming body loves it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Detox for Candida, January 19, 2010
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)
Having recently read Raw Food Life Force Energy, by Natalia Rose, I was excited and eager to read her latest effort, Detox For Women. The former is a 21 Day plan, the latter four weeks, to get you detoxed and glowing with living food energy. The newer book for me, was just a little bit less accessible.

Detox 4 Women focuses on getting rid of Candida, a problem Rose had seen growing rampant among women in her practice. In doing this, she eliminates fruit and nuts permissible in her former book. She allows some animal products which I don't agree with and incorporates the the principles of proper food combining which I think is great. Her tone is very girlfriend's guide and she is excited about what she's doing which gets you excited. Her flexibility on animal products as well as red wine and chocolate might ease some people into the program who may otherwise feel overwhelmed.

It's basically green juice for breakfast (she includes her own favorite recipe for green lemonade), a big salad at lunch with the option to have something cooked if needed, such as a baked sweet potato or steamed veggies, and a more flexible dinner including another salad with some cooked fare. I find this doable and reasonable and I'm gearing up to give it a go myself.

I am, however, not thrilled with the omission of nuts and fruit. Raw Food Life Force Energy seemed more balanced to me and also more doable as a permanent way of eating, however I do get where she's coming from with the Candida issue and temporarily giving up foods that feed yeast or are harder to digest is completely understandable.

Both books contain recipes, chapters on movement, breath and psychological well being. Her method reminds me of a very worthwhile book I read years ago called Fit For Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond (proper food combining, avoiding processed foods, minimizing animal products, maximizing food from the plant kingdom, rebounding, etc).

I'm on the fence about which book to recommend. I like them both, but lean heavily toward her earlier book. If you have Candida, or suspect you do, go for Detox 4 Women. It wouldn't hurt to read both of Rose's books, especially if, like me, you are inspired by that "you can do it!" vibe and encouraging words. Both are very appropriate for New Year's Resolutions and I think they would work great for some internal Spring cleaning as well, carrying on into permanent change beyond detox.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, May 31, 2009
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)
I followed the program for 25 days, and then fell off the wagon for one day. I had a food show to go to and it was for work. There were a lot of vendors there and I had to try all of their different products. I was soooooo sick for the next two days. My body was in shock. I was feeling wonderful for 25 days, and the minute I stepped off, I could tell.
While I followed the program (which is not hard), I really saw a difference in the way my clothes fit and how I felt. This will be a life long thing for me, you just follow a few simple rules, and to be honest you dont miss the junk.
I am glad I found this book...it really helped me.

2.0 out of 5 stars not really a lot different than her other books, September 13, 2009
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)
I own the other books of her and was excited when I saw that there was a new book by her.

Unfortunately I have to say I am quite disappointed, as this book is basically a re write from her other 2 books and there is hardly anything new in it.
She seems to have changed her attitude towards fat and grains. In her earlier books she was still using olive oil for the dressings now she prefers organic butter (which
is great as I love butter). Her grains have changed from kamuth to millet and buckwheat. This sums up the changes. The majority of the recipes are also the same.
This book is maybe more spiritually charged then the previous ones.

If you don't have her other books, this is a very good buy.If you have the other books, spend the money on something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars the key to success!!!, April 13, 2009
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)
Natalia Rose and her book have changed my life. Natalia uniquely made me feel as though she was talking intimately with me on a one on one basis. The amazing part of that intimacy is that every woman who reads the book will feel that same way. Embarking on this journey has permanently changed my relationship with food. It made me realize that I have the power to feel amazing and transform my life. The greatest part of all is that no matter what your diet was prior to reading the book, Natalia brilliantly shows that through the correct transition foods it is almost impossible to get overwhelmed. This program uplifted my spirit, calmed and centered my mind and made me feel so much more confident about my body. That is a wish that most people only dream of, not realizing that it is a possibility. Natalia has given all women the extraordinary blueprint for making this dream a reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)
I've tried all kinds of diet out there, water fasting, master cleanse, juice fast, superfood, 100% Raw, etc.. nothing works. And they were all very difficult and painful to do.
Plus I feel terrible after. This diet is so easy to follow and it works for me. I have candidiasis in my system and always have pimples, terrible skin, constipated, allergies, tired all the time.
I'm on it for over a month now and I see and feel the improvements! I would recommend this book to any ladies out there. I lost weight even though I don't need to.
I don't need to sleep as much and can get up and go even when I didn't sleep till midnight. no more breaking out, still waiting for all my acne scars to heel, but people complimented me that I have beautiful skin already just after 3 weeks! She's what I've been looking for all along. No sugar at all is difficult but manageable. It's been a month now, but I'm afraid to eat anything with sugar. I'm afraid of feeling like what I've used to so I'll keep going with this diet as long as I can. Holidays are coming up, but I'll do my best to stay on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Detox to Follow for Women! It Works!, September 12, 2010
This review is from: Detox for Women: An All New Approach for a Sleek Body and Radiant Health in 4 Weeks (Paperback)
After doing much research on going raw I was so confused. My Mother and I were having so many health issues and we knew it was most certainly our diet. It's just so hard to know what's best. Raw seemed the best choice but difficult to adopt long term. Plus, after trying it for a few weeks we were plagued with gas and bloating and were basically miserable. After reading 3 of Natalia's books so far, we have come to the conclusion that this is the perfect way to eat....for a lifetime. My Mother and I have gone through the 4 week detox and are still going strong. It's so easy to follow, makes perfect sense, and we never feel deprived. The food is oh soooo good. It contains a nice balance vegan/raw with that of cooked veggies, raw goat cheese, 68% dark chocolate, goat's milk ice cream and occasional high quality eggs and fish. To us it seemed like the most appropriate and sane balance.

Another reviewer made mention of the expense involved. Well....any new diet or lifestyle is going to incur an initial expense to some degree. If you are overhauling most everything you are currently clogging your cells with, than yes, it will require you to buy new kinds of foods. The juicer can be purchased for about $100. We opted to buy a lesser expensive L'Equip 306150 Mini Pulp Ejection Juicer, Gray brand from the mostly positive reviews. So far it has preformed wonderfully. You can also check out your local buy out or thrift store and see if they might have one for less. The rebounder is not essential as Natalia also recommends yoga, dance or walking. It just depends on what you like to do. I did purchase a rebounder at my local Walmart for $30 after a few weeks into the program. Walking has been our mainstay though and I'm now adding back weights. The lymphatic dry brushing($7 at Walmart) is a fabulous inexpensive way to help your body cleanse and is again optional but highly recommended. The probiotic and anti candidia products are also highly recommended but optional. I only just this week purchased the probiotic Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS Probiotics Supplement, Vegetarian Capsules, 60-Count Boxes (Pack of 2). The program worked without those things. It's just that it would enhance the cleansing. We also did not have the colon hydrotherapy. That is expensive, but, you can also do an at home enema if you would like, and she gives instructions as to how to do it. These things are all mentioned as being highly beneficial to the cleansing, but they are not essential if you are on a budget or just don't want to. Now, if I had cancer I would most certainly be doing all of these things regardless of expense.

The results....I have lost 10lbs and my Mother has lost 20ls(I'm closer to my ideal weight than she)and many of our ailments have improved. Our skin is becoming increasingly firm and glowing. Cravings are gone too! If you have health problems and/or are considering going raw but can't quite fathom it or have had troubles adopting it completely bc of bothersome side effects like gas or bloating, READ THIS! Natalia helps you to understand why, as a woman especially, you may be having trouble eating all raw. We have learned so much about how our bodies digest foods and what combinations digest best for the most optimum nutrition and cellular cleansing. We highly recommend Natalia's book(s) for optimum health and vitality.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to her word, May 4, 2009
M. Brock (Bowie, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Detox for Women (Paperback)
This is the second Natalia Rose book I've read and I thought it might just be a re-hashing of her previous ones, but it isn't. She focuses on the problems women have with infections, weight gain, etc. that tend to be gender-specific. I am on Day 4 of the 30-day plan and I already feel and see a difference in my complexion, my sleep, and my weight. I'm sold in the importance of this plan.

$16.99 $11.79