Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

75%
25%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 30, 2008
I am not familiar with Snares however I stumbled across this record looking for some modern jungle and Amen break based music, and that is exactly what I found. If you dig Plug's 'Plug EP's 1, 2 & 3', Aphex Twin's Drukqs, Soundmurderer and some of Squarepusher's more frantic works you will definitely 'get' Detrimentalist. By 'get', I mean Detrimentalist is not an easy listen at first, but the more I listen to it the more I get it. The track Gentleman reminds me stylisticly of Plug's track 'Here It Comes'. Koonut-Kaliffee is the most 'accessible' track in my opinion. Bebikukorica Nigiri sounds like jungle on top of a Nintendo video game sound track. Very strange. Overall worthy of several listens. Great programming.
on June 28, 2008
I'm sure someone will write a better review on this but I had to be the first since I can't believe no one else has. Alot of the songs on this album are amazing, namely tracks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Like nothing i've ever heard before, besides other Snares stuff. Sure I hear familiar sounds and beats from other Snares stuff on this one, but this album as a whole is more my style than several of his latest albums (classical kinda stuff, you know). The important thing, I think, is that I don't hear any other artist's (except maybe Aphex Twin) or genre's formula on this record. Largely in its own vein, as Snares mostly is, it is the best new record i've heard in a long time.
If you're not familiar with Snares, this is an accessible place to start I would think, although my mind may be warped from listening to so much of it. For those on the fence about Snares, its like the Snares album Dollmaker, but a little less dark, more low-fi sci-fi sounds, and even more stuff to keep you on your toes. Plenty of D&B but nothing like you've heard unless you've listened to Snares before.

GET THIS if you are sick of the same old drum-n-bass/jungle and want something with a little more going on, or if you're already a Snares or Aphex Twin fan, or if you just want to hear something like you've never heard before.

And for those of you who have never heard of Venetian Snares or Aphex Twin ( I don't know why you're looking at this), this album sounds like Nintendo soundtracks over complicated drum tracks with heavy (and light) bass, along with a dozen other tracks going on simultaneously. If that sounds like noise to you, then this album is not for you, but trust me, its more melodic than it sounds in print. My girlfriend won't listen to it because she says she's not a "druggie". Well I would have to say you almost have to have done drugs at some point, or have some screws loose, to get the most out of this music. But it would be enjoyable otherwise I would imagine.
88 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2008
We can always count on Aaron Funk to punish us at least once a year. If you're not familiar with Venetian Snares, it's time for you to open up that hole and crawl out. Seriously. Winnipeg (Canada) based Funk is a prolific champion of the edgiest of genres - from modern-classical orchestral arrangements violated with breakcore to noisy IDM sprinkled with clicks and cuts. Among the collection of labels, he has managed to span some of my favorites - Zod, Distort, Sublight, Hymen and of course, Planet Mu. Detrimentalist is Funk's twentieth (!!!) album, in which he steps away from classical themes sampled and revisited in My Downfall (Planet Mu, 2007), and brings back the early drum'n'bass loops only the way Venetian Snares can. Planet Mu describes the release as "Venetian Snares' 332nd official studio album of disgusting ejacutronic rave horn." After a couple of rotations the intelligent design behind complex time signatures stands out from the imitators' attempts at making [whatever]-core simply for the sake of it. The first two tracks, Gentleman and Koonut-Kaliffee set the tone for the entire album, and the grind never stops. The cover art is sprinkled with an array of neon green aliens, robots, skulls, wingdings, guns, cassettes, and other demented and detrimental paraphernalia. And ducks. My favorite track is Eurocore MVP with ragga vocal samples, Funk's staple bass rips, drilling Amen breaks and an obligatory snare rush. This is breakcore at its finest. Keep it coming, Funk... We're listening... For similar styles, check out Bong-Ra, End.user, and my new favorite, Igorrr.
on November 11, 2008
A return to form for not only VS but for the genre. If you like your drum-n-bass extra-fast, nasty, glitchy, laugh-out-loud astonishing and practically un-danceable (meaning, if you liked 2004's "Infolepsy") this is your record.

Intact are the trademark touches: the video game blips, the movie/TV clips, the crunchy bass stalking, the insane drum juggling, the pitch-bending neck-snappers...all of the things that, when you hear them, you know exactly who's destroying their gear.

If the last couple of records made you wonder if he was turning an art corner, fear not: VS brings the heat you know him for here.
on November 4, 2008
I've always thought VS as this crazy genius...
And I am a total believer~!!!
This album was absolute genius~!! Through out the whole album I found myself just totally getting into the music.
If you like IDM, DnB, Breakcore, or any experimental electronic music, this is must have album.
on September 7, 2008
This album is super dope. A lot more fun than the recent classical stuff, this is some phat jungle styles. This hasn't left rotation since I got it actually and it's only getting better with each play. Recommended.
on June 11, 2011
This album makes me feel like I have the strength of a bear... A bear that has the strength of two bears.
on December 28, 2012
i purchased this album like 4 months ago and it didn't really strike me as anythig amazing untill repeated listens and odd enough seeing some of thetracks preformed live on u tube videos.. for example at first i hated the 3rd tracks main vocal sample but after seeing it live i completely changed my mind--the second track is prob one of my favorite snares songs ever---this albu, is ,ore versatile in its approach which is different for a snares album being that most of funks albums or ep's are centered around a distinct theme--this album is looser and not as serious (not thar his serious work is not good)--this is a must have--