5.0 out of 5 stars The best game of the year for sure.
If you are considering picking this game up do not wait as it is more of a modern masterpiece then a game. From the start you can tell there is a lot going on and nothing can prepare you for what will unfold in a dark but vibrant setting filled with a looming feel that things are always not as they seem.

Like I good book that you cannot put down I found myself...
Published on August 24, 2011 by Josh

2.0 out of 5 stars Good try at a great game
Published 20 months ago by Scott Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game of the year for sure., August 24, 2011
Josh (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

Like I good book that you cannot put down I found myself forcing myself to stop playing instead of feeling that I had played enough so if you have concerns that this title will not live up to the original Deus Ex, you can lay them to rest. The story couldn't have stayed truer to the Deus Ex series and Square-Enix/Eidos Montreal have done what no publisher is willing to do these days and that is to make an amazing PC game.

So if Ubisoft, EA (Especially BioWare with ME3 on the horizon), Activision/Blizzard, Rockstar, 2kGames, Bethesda or other major publishers are paying attention look at what Square-Enix has done here and see how it is that you make a game for the PC.

When you release your next PC game, look at Deus Ex Human Revolution on the PC:

49.99 with 10% off on pre-order
No install limits, internet connection required, phoning home or any other anti-consumer DRM
On Steam and Retail stores
Not a console port
No Games for Windows Live or Origin etc.
Runs at first launch with no issues

If it doesn't meet these points just don't bother releasing the PC version because Square-Enix, Valve and dozens of Indie developers will continue making games many others, including myself want and will gladly spend my money on those games instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immersive, thought provoking and just plain awesome, August 26, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is beautiful. Granted not perfect, but it would be unrealistic to expect much more from a game of this magnitude. The technical constraints, I can only imagine, were numerous. The story is fantastic, extremely engaging, and to anyone with at least a grade 5 level of intelligence, enormously relevant in today's society. The gameplay is tight - despite occasional AI glitches - and thoroughly immersive. The sheer amount of options at your disposal when customizing your character is astounding. I found myself taking forever to choose where I would use my praxis points, as almost every decision you make in Human Revolution has a direct impact in your experience - in other words, it's fantastic. Rarely have I found myself so drawn into a world, a game, the way I have with Human Revolution. If you're a fan of engaging stories, intense action and Rpgs in general, then do yourself a favor and buy this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phenomenal Game, August 28, 2011
Jonah Anderson "east sider" (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Eidos Montreal faced a daunting and almost unthinkable task - creating a sequel to the original Deus Ex that wouldn't fall short and disappoint like Invisible War. Like many fans of the original game I anxiously awaited to see if Eidos would deliver on their promise or fall flat on their face. I even built a new computer specifically so I could play Deus Ex: Human Revolution when it was released. Finally, the moment of truth arrived and just after 2 am I finished downloading the patch from Steam and away I went. Before I realized what time it was the sun was rising and I was not even close to be sleepy so I continued playing well into the morning finally taking a break in the early afternoon. The game is phenomenal and Eidos has produced one of the best games of recent memory.

The original Deus Ex fell into what the early Star Trek and Star Wars franchises faced, a limitation of the technology at the time the product was released. I still love playing the original to this day; it is one of my favorite games. It is a game that one can enjoy over and over simply because of the choices presented to the player in how they choose to accomplish the goals set forth in the game. Unfortunately, after playing Human Revolution, the original now feels like the old Star Trek and when I do return to playing the game it will remind of what could be while I am playing what was available for the time.

I feel one of the strong points of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a return to the gritty cyberpunk setting of the original game. In contrast, Invisible War presented a very different atmosphere about that sorely detracted from the game. Invisible War also suffered from a lack of length and being way too easy. With Human Revolution there is a return to the gritty steampunk setting that many have described as being set in the fashion of Blade Runner, an assertation I don't disagree with. I can only hope Eidos continues on with making more games as it will be tough to play the original after the masterpiece they have put forth.

For fans of the original game you will notice many easter eggs from characters such as Bob Page to companies such as Versalife. at the same time Human Revolution takes us deeper down the rabbit hole with the shroud of mystery surrounding Adam Jensen. If you hack one of the computers at Picus you will see a couple of familiar, and important characters, who show up in the original. the very first code you receive, 0451, which is the code to Sarif's elevator is also one of the first codes you recieve in the original, which goes to the comsat building by the helipad outside of UNATCO headquarters.

Some people have complained at times the game felt too much like a maze when you are in the city hubs completing missions and side quests. A quote in the mystery scene after the credits role I found to be particularly illuminating. It occurs when one character says, "When Ariadne led Theseus" which made me think of Inception by Christopher Nolan. As you are aware mazes play an important part of Inception. Another important concept is the idea that an architect (Eidos) creates a dreamworld (the game) and then the dreamer (the player) fills it with their subconscious. in this instance Eidos has presented us with a game but it is up to us to fill up with and bring it to life in a way that directly reflects upon what is in each of us who play the game. Could Eidos have been influenced by Inception, possibly, but I just thought that was an interesting thought.

Overall this is an excellent game that should be enjoyed for quite some time until they come out with the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game, Made Better by Steam, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Augmented Edition [Download] (Software Download)
Regarding Steam:
I'm not sure where these "Steam trolls" are coming from. Anyone into PC gaming knows Steam basically saved PC gaming. I bought it retail for the physical art book, but was thrilled that it used Steam. Steam *adds* value to a game. DE:HR has been patched a few times already since release. Steam patched it automatically as soon as I signed in. I can also install it on my netbook- rather nice since it HAS NO DVD DRIVE. The complaint that you can't "resell" or "share" your games is selfish, as you pay far less for games digitally. It's a trade-off - no used game market, but much cheaper games. Basically, these people trolling about Steam are in the vast minority of PC gamers - when a game is announced as being on Steam, people are thrilled. Ignore the trolls.

Regarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution:
Enjoying this game immensely. It is a lot like the first game - mostly in the good ways, occasionally in the clunky ways. It's not that the game does any one thing that no other game has done - it's that it does so many things, so well, all at the same time. One major improvement over the original game is the 3rd person stealth system. It may sound less immersive, but it makes stealth much more *playable*, whereas in the first game it was an exercise in frustration. Overall the game is great. A separate team made sure the PC version was a proper PC game, not a "port." It supports newer Direct-X 11 features, and you can configure just about everything, it even lets you customize the field of view in the options, something more developers need to do. They are patching the game quickly to fix any issues that pop up, too, and have already cut the load times in half. In any case, GET IT. It has something for everyone, and is one of the few games you can truly play your own way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, Great Download, Great Price, August 30, 2011
I'm not sure why other people seem to have problems having to download this game twice, once from Amazon and once from Steam, but when it downloaded from Amazon for me, Steam installed it from the Amazon files just fine, I only had to download it once. I'm not quite sure how Amazon managed to price this so low compared to other vendors, but I just couldn't be happier with the price and download experience. Yeah, as with all games that use Steam I'm a little miffed because I hate having my software managed by a third party, but I've come to terms with Steam and have even found myself enjoying the ability to download and play my games on any system I log onto, even if I've long since lost the disc.

Now for the game itself. This game is spectacular. It's choice and open play make it almost as good as the original in my mind. I loved the cutscenes and found it to be a great mix of cinematics and gameplay. The graphics are not breathtaking but they're good and I didn't see too many bugs that are common in more graphically intense games. The only real negative thing I have to say about the game is that I hated the boss fights, with broke with my sneak and hide gameplay choices.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good try at a great game, January 16, 2013
Scott Larson "trinsic" (Santa Rosa, California) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
What ever Deus Ex: HR was, it was not a continuation of the Deus Ex Franchise. I knew that coming in and thought I would try it out. I think they did a great job with the UI and the graphics. I dont like the point system they used to replace the canisters you needed to find to upgrade your bio mods, it simplified it too much The story elements and music (compared to the original Deus Ex) doesn't even come close. Its a pretty cut and dry story with not much depth. The first one had a lot of philosophical dilemmas and their was a flow between each decision you made. DE:HR seems a bit more corporate in his view points and the sound track is a complete waste of time compared to the original which was by far the best game sound track I have ever heard. Another thing don't like about developing company is they were silencing alot of constructive feedback about the game before it was released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, June 6, 2012
Aside from a few problems*, it's without a doubt a GREAT game: awesome graphics, awesome story, INCREDIBLE voice acting, really fun gameplay.

*Problems:

- A lot of people complain about the AI, that sometimes can be kinda retarded. Indeed, sometimes enemies do stupid things, but it's not enough to detract from the general experience in my opinion. I'd really like to see a game like this in 5-10 years to see how awesome the major the AI advancements would be.

- Bugs: there are some, and they might break your experience a little bit, like a character I was supposed to talk to get a secondary quest and couldn't for the love of god, or the occasional graphical glitch, but again, at least for me it does not detract from the whole experience.

All in all, if you like stealth gameplay (although you can go Rambo-style), futuristic/cyberpunk environments and a well-told story, this is the game for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, November 8, 2011
Pros:
-Action/RPG done right
-Go stealth or guns blazing
-Immersive story, very good voice acting
-Great graphics even on a DX10 card
-Smooth menu navigation, controls
-The AI doesn't cheat, gameplay is consistent and fair

Cons:
-Some back-tracking
-The "feel" of the levels aren't varied (always dark, gloomy, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, October 6, 2011
With great story and gameplay Deus Ex give us a delightful play time. This game shows us how to make a immersive game. I recommend this game to everyone who likes sci-fi + rpg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deus Ex lives up to the Human Revolution, October 5, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Could not ask much more of any game.
Graphics are good and the gameplay is smooth.
I would certainly recommend this game to anyone.
You can play this as a linear game or take your time and explore, the rewards are certainly there for the explorers.
Overall I would rate this game as a 9/10 with only Far Cry 2 getting a higher score from me.

Rate and Discover Movies