5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best
Published on May 5, 2005 by Invictus

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay.
Published on September 16, 2011 by nibur

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay., September 16, 2011
This pomade provides good hold considering its water based formula. The smell is also better than other american crew products. If you want something stronger though, you might want to try Star Wax | Premium Pomade, Original, by Star Pro Line - 5 fl. oz. Jar (Latest Generation), which is also based on water and has a pleasing fragrance. I usually use both and alternate between them depending on the hold I prefer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Pompadours!, March 10, 2012
Glad I bought the smallest size available, 1.75oz (great trial size and price by the way, wished more brands would make this size), cause it didn't really do what I wanted it to do. Advertised as a pomade with "medium hold and high shine", I was hoping it would have enough holding power for me to style my medium hair-length in a pompadour, but it didn't. I would say it's a product with low hold. It did however live up to the "high shine" since it produces a great sheen. I also liked that it washes out with water unlike many traditional petroleum based pomades. Overall, I think it's a good finishing product for shine and for flattening out the few flyaway hairs you have after styling. But if you're looking for a more serious pomade with holding power and that's washes out with water, you might consider some other pomades sold on amazon.com such as Layrite, Suavecito or even Monkey Brains, though those pomades will not have a great shine to 'em.

1.0 out of 5 stars deception galore, September 13, 2011
ok, so i buy american crew pomade, this exact product shown, around once a month, usually from great clips, publix or walmart. It's an amazing product.

So i see it on amazon for a discount and i figure, hey ill place an order. It arrived today and it's NOT american crew pomade unless they totally changed the product since the last time i bought it (about a month ago). It has a different label than displayed and the product itself is noticeablely different. The label says american crew on it but there is a speedometer on the face of the pomade.

It does not smell like the american crew pomade you find in salons / stores, this product smells a bit more like plastic. It is much more translucent with a white / yellow color and a different consistency. The REAL american crew pomade is almost clear. Also one of the two pomades had small specks of dirt around the inside of the lid.

I'm not sure where this stuff comes from, if it's authorized by american crew, or if it's a cheap chinese knockoff, but it should be investigated. I'll be contacting amazon for a return and american crew about an inferior product labeled with their name being sold on amazon.com.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., December 5, 2013
Upon receiving my 2-pack of this "American Crew Pomade," I immediately wrote a quick review for the seller, CB Select, and said everything was fine, and that I was glad to get my usual hair stuff at a great price. My mistake: I should have waited until I opened the individual containers. Whatever this is, it's not American Crew Pomade. As I look over reviews posted by others, I see that I'm not the first to have some questions about the authenticity of this product. (My other mistake: not reading far enough in the reviews.)

Authentic American Crew Pomade, which I've used for years, is crystal clear, smooth and glossy, with a clean, complex fragrance. The product I received is opaque, waxy (like very soft beeswax, probably not by coincidence), and has a much duller, more cloying scent. It does work well enough to get by, and I'm going to use the product until it's gone. But -- whether this issue is a result of some lack of quality-control on the part of the seller, or a deliberate falsification -- I'm certainly not ordering from this seller again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must be a knock-off, June 29, 2012
I ordered this pomade and it is a different texture, a different color, a different feeling in your hands and no shine at all. This stuff that was sent is nothing like the Crew pomade you get at Target. I bought this from one of Amazons' suppliers because it was cheaper,every time you save a quarter you spend a dollar.!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars "...Past their optimal shelf life (expired), improperly transported, diluted, contaminated, or even in extreme cases counterfeit, August 20, 2012
You can NOT return this item!

I've been using crew pomade for years. I really like the pomade. I saw it on Amazon for a lot cheaper, and purchased it. Both came out all yellow and chalky. Nothing close to the crew pomade that I've been using at all.

I contacted American Crew (contact.americancrew.com) first to see if they'd replace this product. And after reading their email response below, I tried returning it. So, $22.87 goes in the garbage.

Hi ***** ,

Thanks for contacting regarding American Crew. For your future reference, we do not actually authorize the sale of our products online, at large retailers like Target or Walmart, pharmacies, or grocery stores. The products that you see at these locations are called "diverted products". These diverted products are purchased from a third party without our consent. Often times these products are past their optimal shelf life (expired), improperly transported, diluted, contaminated, or even in extreme cases counterfeit. Please only purchase at salons or beauty supply stores to ensure you are getting genuine, quality American Crew products. We are unable to guarantee the quality or authenticity of diverted products and cannot be responsible for their performance, ingredients, or adverse reactions. To find a location near you, please visit our Salon Locator at [...]

Have a great hair day!

Best Regards,
******
800-598-2739
American Crew, MOP, Abba, d:fi, Roux

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, May 5, 2005
Invictus (Griffin, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Having wild and uncontrollable hair as a woman is a well-documented problem, but what about if you're a guy? After years of using cheap gels that left flakey residues in my hair, and/or smelling feminine, I was introduced to American Crew in the little brown jar by a stylist. I now swear by this stuff. Even on my knappy head (I have very thick wavy, but not curly, hair) American Crew keeps my hair in place and natural-appearing without lookling like I'm using Brill's Cream. A thick dime-sized dab is enough for keeping my short haired coiffure in place and de-poofed all day. The trick is to work it in while my hair is moist from the shower but not dripping wet. Yes, it costs way more than gels but it's worth every penny. One 4 oz jar lasts me about 6 weeks. The other benefit to American Crew is the smell - my wife absolutely loves the way my hair smells.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work's Well, November 20, 2008
Rawim (Palmdale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Over the years I have used lots of hair care/styling stuff over the years, from just letting it air dry to super hold gels. I had heard about Pomade from back in the day and thought it would be worth trying. I had been using Brylcream for a while but the little dab just didn't give me as much control as I would of liked.

This does a better job of providing hold with flexibility. It has a pleasant smell and rubs into you hands and then rubs right into my hair. If you don't use too much it doesn't give you the super slick wet look but it gives you a little shine and nice classy hold.

Price wise I know it seems a little high, but you do get the two jars which should last for quite a while, of course depending on how much you use. And you don't have the hard hat stiffness of gel, or the looseness of a cream. I have now become a very big fan of the product and will continue to use it as long as I can get it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pomade Available--For Men AND Women!, October 3, 2006
These kinds of products are so hard to judge. So, trial and error has been my main form of selection over the years. Stumbled on this one and came out very well. It's an opaque, almost colorless pomade, nice and thick and a little goes a very long way! I have short hair, with lots of tecture cut into it and American Crew Pomade for Men( LOL, it's great for the ladies too!) is NOT heavy to your hair despite its thick appearance. Just use a small, dime sized amount at first. If you need more, i advise a little at a time. Applied right, your hair will take on any shape or direction you want and oh, the shine!! Beautiful, lustrous shine will help bring out your natural hair color and even heighten the effects of colored hair. Washes out very easy when time for that comes. Has a very masculine scent, but don't let that deter you, ladies! I'm telling you--this one has them all beat and I've used many brands. Price wise, I might hold off on it if I don't absolutely have to have it, but then, Amazon seems to be offering it at some very good prices!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure it's Pomade, April 13, 2013
I bought this Pomade and received it timely and in good order. When I opened it, I questioned whether or not it was pomade based on the color. I've been using American Crew Pomade for many years and I've never seen it be milky white. It also did not have the smell or texture that AC Pomade has. Also, it has had no good effect on my hair. So - this is not a knock on authentic AC Pomade, it's more of a knock on me for trying to get it on the cheap and ordering through Amazon and receiving what I think is a cheap imitation.

American Crew Pomade