Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Blake Shelton Discover it Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on June 2, 2008
This volume by Evans and Sapanaro was a textbook in my collection development class. Given the very pragmatic approach of my instructor, I'm not surprised she selected this book.

First of all, collection development can be a very politically charged responsibility, especially in a public library. While this book may not give you all the nitty gritty details of how to deal with every situation that can threaten your library or your career, it can certainly provide helpful introduction on how to write a comprehensive and useful collection development policy that will guide the selection and deselection process, and insulate your library from a public relations fiasco.

In chapter 2, the authors provide a thorough but not overwhelming chapter on different approaches to assessing the information needs of your patrons, depending on the library you work (i.e. Public, academic, special library). Thankfully, they spare you from the fine grained details of research methods and statistical methods. In fact, they recommend hiring a consultant to help out with such procedures, since it might not always be practical to hire such a specialized staff member full time.

Chapter 4 provides a hefty and substantive overview of how to select materials for your library and how to evaluate these materials. Other chapters discuss the unique issues of evaluating and selectings serials and electronic resources.

While just about every chapter appeared to have very useful information, some noteworthy (personally speaking) chapters address legal issues, fiscal management, and deselection.

If you have been assigned this text consider yourself lucky. If not, it could be a good supplementary text. Professionals new to collection management will probably find this text to be a useful resource. Veterans of the field might not find much in this text, but it could serve as a good refresher to collection development practices.
on February 5, 2013
This was exactly the book I needed for my Library and Information Science Class.
So much cheaper than elsewhere...and it arrived as stated!
Thankfully, UNT gives textbook information long before the classes begin.
on June 27, 2010
I was assigned this book as a text for a collection development class. I thought this book provided a very good foundation for the subject; it was clear, straightforward, and easy to read, with the 4 main types of libraries represented. I don't know that I would recommend it for someone who has years of experience in collection development, but if you're new to it, this is a great resource.
on November 15, 2013
This is a great text book if you are working on your MLS. It is easy reading, easy to understand. I used it many times to answer questions about how to set up and develop your library.
on August 1, 2008
Covering the spectrum of what is involved in true collection development, this is an essential resource.
on March 18, 2010
I purchased this book because it was required by my professor. I am pursuing a master of science in library science. This book is being used for my collection development and management of knowledge resources class. I have read about 6 chapters in the book so far and it is very informative.I would recommend it.
on September 17, 2010
The book was in great condition but as missing the CD that goes in the back of the book. I need it for class so that was a major disappointment.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2009
I am glad I ordered from this co. I received the book on time.
on June 9, 2007
The book is full of information so it is reather heavy reading. The book also contains lots of useful website addresses.