Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on August 10, 2003
This book is excellent for kindergarten and first grade teachers. It's become my math bible. I use it in the beginning of the year more than the school district adopted math textbook. If you ever have an opportunity to take a workshop from Kathy Richardson, go for it. You'll get more from the book after attending one of her workshops.
on August 6, 2003
This is an excellent, if not essential teacher resource for teaching math concepts to young children. As a first grade teacher whose school system is on its third mandated math curriculum in 10 years, Richardson is my life line. Her text informs clearly and concisely the process of concept development in young children. Ways to effectively observe and assess students are excellent and included in each chapter. Activities and lessons are easy to implement, often open ended, engaging, and fun.
on August 19, 2013
Bought this for my youngest for learning number concepts. We homeschool and follow a specific curriculum - and it seems that these days they just don't schedule in enough practice for basic math concepts anymore - they are always rushing to the next topic. I use this to supplement our curriculum and it is excellent. Highly recommend.
on November 9, 2012
Richardson has some better books like "developing number sense " that rehashes this same material plus some more so it might be better to purchase it. However this is a classic.
on September 12, 2006
I have taught pre-first, first, second and fifth. This book has been a super resource over the past 16 years. It is most helpfull at the primary level, but I did use it in 5th grade on occasion. I am now back in second grade. My room had some water damage over the summer and this book is one of the resources I lost. I can't wait to replace it. It helps you introduce all the basic skills at any level. I also find it very user friendly. It has a table of contents by grade level and by skill. It is a staple in my school bag.
on July 31, 2010
This book has helped to make my small math group instructional time more hands-on and structured. Kathy offers great lessons to develop true (not mechanical), number sense in children.
on November 25, 2008
The book came so quickly! I was impressed. The book was in excellent condition. However it was missing the table of contents.
on December 17, 2013
This is a great resource in teaching first graders about math using Unfix cubes. There are blackline masters to print off, too.
on March 26, 2016
Can't say enough about Kathy Richardson....This is an oldie but a goodie!!!
on July 31, 2014
Super book!!! Many ideas to use with the Common Core!!!