Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 25, 2007
All the steps have to be run on Axis 1.3 and eclipse 3.0 to make this book useful. Most of the steps won't work on Axis2 and eslipse 3.2. The readers need to have good knowledge on Axis2 to make the steps work.
on March 4, 2007
Honestly, my first impression of the book's content was disappointing; however, I stayed with it and the book proved very helpful. If one wants a handy quick start, I'd recommend it strongly. Despite a less than stellar command of the English language and its usage, the author does well explaining things through illustration and example. The book follows a logical progression from installation to deployment, and beyond. If you are new or just want some additional information/insight about Apache Axis, buy it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2007
This book is very concise practical and to the point book. The author doesn't waste his time in talking about abstract details of web services. He goes right to the practical implementation of web services using Axis in a very tutorial way. Itz good for people just starting on webservices and want to get to know in a quick fast and practical way.
on January 9, 2007
I find this book very good. In the first chapter the author explained the structure of SOAP/XML which is the most fundamental part of Axis, and as the book go on, he provided examples that are very easy to follow and learn.

The way the author layout the content of the book is excellent!

I'm waiting for the author to come up with a book on AXIS2, and I'd be the first one to buy it.
on December 29, 2006
I have read the first 40 pages of this book and I am convinced that this will be a great book. The author uses very simple, easy to follow language which make it a great beginner read.
0Comment0 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2006
The recipies in this book assumes you are using the Eclipse environment. There are lots of screen shots of Eclipse user interface. Now if you are not an Eclipse user but simply want to learn Axis, this book is absolutely the wrong choice for you.

The secret to learning Apache Axis is to read its user manual.
22 comments9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2006
This book may be useful to someone with no background in web services, Axis, SOAP, or developing software. It is structured as a walk through of implementing a specific example in a very specific way using very specific tools. It is very light on background information and is not useful as a reference.

If you don't know how to get from step 0 to step 1, this book may be for you. If you are already at step 1, it probably isn't a good choice.
0Comment1 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2006
With all the 5 star reviews here I really had my hopes up for this book. I really, really wanted to like it and, to some degree, I did.

This is a very short book. I'm not complaining, I remember the day when excellent technical books were only 200 pages. However, these small outstanding references were kind of like Unix tools - they covered one subject and covered it well. Mr. Tong, on the other hand attempts to teach us Tomcat, Eclipse, Axis, and PKI in a 165 page book.

While I personally didn't need the tutorials on Tomcat, Eclipse, or PKI I thought they were very well done. Unfortunately I didn't feel this way about the Axis portion of the book. When reading the information about Axis it mostly seemed to me to be:

1. Do this.

2. Now do this.

3. Press enter.

4. See, it worked.

OK, so it worked. I still have very little understanding of why it worked or what other options Axis has to offer.

I also felt the book gave the impression that Tomcat-Eclipse-Axis were joined at the hip. I would have prefered to learn the workings of Axis so that I would be comfortable using it on WebLogic or WebSphere. Maybe using Netbeans as my IDE or maybe just using a command line. In my opinion, Mr. Tong does not deliver this kind of Axis understanding.

Lastly, I'd like to comment on the grammer used in the book. It is clear that Mr. Tong is not a native Engling speaker. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Tong certainly speaks English better than I speak a second language. However, I believe editing by a native English speaker would improve the readability of the book. I didn't really have any big problems understanding the text but the grammer does make it hard to read. In many cases I had to read a sentence several times to get the point.
22 comments20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2006
I actually learned Apache Axis 1.X by reading this book: the easiest book to read and learn.
0Comment0 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2006
This is perfect book not only to learn axis but also to webservice. I don't see any other book explains clearly the concept as this. I just read the first 40 pages of the book only and I ordered it and just waiting to get it.
I read other books (J2EE Webservice) that are very elaborative but doesn't do the job. This is concise book but enough to take your knowledge level on web service to higher.
I believe a new Author (Next to my favorite author Herbert Schildt) is introduced to the Techies and really he rocks ! I sincerely thank the Author for this book.

Drawbacks :
No explanation on working with other 3rd party or opensource tools.
Nothing covered on any tools intergration with Castor or other XML Binding.It only deals with Axis default.

If they give the PDF version along with HardCopy and Software CDs for this price it would be nice.But this comes too thin book.
Still I would recommend other to buy this one.