5.0 out of 5 stars This book is good.
Published on June 19, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful textbook
Published on June 18, 2009 by S. Mueller

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful textbook, June 18, 2009
This is one of the worst textbooks I've ever used (bachelor's degree, master's degree, working on 2nd master's). The writing is not the worst, though it's not very lively. My attention wanders after about 4 pages and by 10 pages I want nothing more than to do anything but keep reading. But read on I must, because it's a long book and it's determined to overlook no detail, no matter how peripheral.

It's definitely packed with data, a fault, not a virtue. In its zeal to be comprehensive, it spends page after page on disproven theories, unproven theories, half-proven theories, and even theories nobody has cared about for decades. (I know, because I was working in cognitive AI in the 1980s when some of those theories were already history and many of the rest of them greeted with a Spock raised eyebrow.)

Everything is jumbled together so the student ends up in the state of "buzzing confusion" often used to describe a newborn infant. Case in point: the author seems enamored of Jean Piaget. Piaget asked good questions. He also got many wrong answers and his research methodologies broke nearly every guideline laid down in an early chapter of this very textbook. So does the reader get a summary of Piaget's major ideas, with a focus on those that have proven useful, with a side mention of the mistaken details? Nope. You get play by play detail. Pages of Piaget, followed by pages of research that disproves him. After wading through all that, the reader has to flip back and forth to figure out on their own what might be worth remembering and what not. It doesn't help that the author phrases every statement of Piaget's theory, proven or not, as though it were true, and often qualifies statements that summarize research that clearly disproves him, e.g., "So, Piaget may have been wrong about ..."

The study guide and questions are no help. They focus on the details of who did what and when as much as or more than the ideas themselves. They find disproven theories worth memorizing as much as validated ones. Worth knowing if this were a history of the field. Incredibly confusing otherwise.

Ironically, the text's focus on distracting side detail gets in the way of learning in precisely the ways it criticizes when discussing effective strategies for teaching.

A very frustrating book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is good., June 19, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Child Development (Hardcover)
I am currently using this book for my Early Childhood Education(ECE)Diploma studies.This book has detailed and comprehensive topics and theories on Child Development.It also provides lots of pictures and graphics to enhance your understanding of what you read.This book is a must for anyone studying ECE or for those teaching children and wish to know more about Child development.

4.0 out of 5 stars Required for School, June 8, 2013
CopperJP (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
We actually used this in my Master's program. I thought it was comprehensive and easily understood. I think I got a lot out of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! Access card is not valid without a course ID, October 3, 2012
K. Partello "Gamer Girl" (Walnut Creek, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Warning! Danger Will Robinson! Do not purchase this edition of the product unless you are sure your instructor is able to provide a "Course ID" for the mylab access card. I just spent time with the live chat on the website and was told it is not valid without a course ID. What this means is that you will pay extra for something you can not use. My instructor is checking on this but you can bet I will be contacting Amazon for a refund if access is not available. Thank goodness I purchased from Amazon because they also said that since I opened the seal on the access card it was non-refundable despite the fact that the note about the required course ID was NOT printed on the OUTSIDE of the card but only disclosed after opening the product. Can you feel my anger and frustration radiating through the screen? LOL.

*Just a note: This review is no reflection on Amazon... they ALWAYS stand behind their products... this review is for the product only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Child Development, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Child Development (Paperback)
Child Development
the text was for Uni and exactly the book I was instructed to get. very happy as staff supported me with tracking the process of the text arriving to my home. fantastic

3.0 out of 5 stars Child Development, October 2, 2013
It is certainly filled with information not the most exciting book you will ever be required to read, but I don't fall asleep trying to get through a chapter either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Child Psych text, June 21, 2013
I used this book for a child psychology course, and I really enjoyed reading the textbook. The book flows well, and is easy to understand. This would be a great reference for any parent-to-be to have on hand, but make sure you have the latest edition, as research in child development is constantly evolving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good resource, July 13, 2013
Well written, easy to follow. Good case studies and chapter summaries. A little hard on American schools and economic policy, but overall a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Book, January 17, 2013
While overall the textbook is helpful and clear there are areas where they could have gone more in depth or seemed to have left out some information.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Childhood/Adolescent Developmental Psychology Book, December 31, 2012
I used this textbook for my Childhood/Adolescent developmental psychology class that I took this past semester, and overall it was a pretty good book. I read the majority of this book, and pretty much every subject was well covered except for a few certain areas that my professor generally filled in extra notes for during lecture. The tone the author takes with this book is a nice breath of fresh air - instead of focusing on being completely formal in her writing, Berk tries to lighten up the mood by introducing personal anecdotes and other language that makes this subject more approachable. For the most part, when she does this, it succeeds. But I would almost have liked if she had used it more because certain parts of the book do seem to drag on (although this seems almost necessary with the pure amount of subject matter covered).

This isn't the BEST textbook I've ever used, but it is certainly a very decent example of how to write an approachable and useful psychology textbook. 4 stars.

Child Development (with Milestones Card) (7th Edition) (MyDevelopmentLab Series)
Used & New from: $3.95