Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on March 9, 2008
This book covers global development from colonialism, to 'de-colonization' to globalization in a truly holistic sense. With a background in economics and a special interest in food systems, McMichael is truly informed in his analysis of the global power structure and how it has developed through time. Not ignored are studies of inequalities of race/ethnicity, gender, and class on a global scale.
The book is slow reading, due to density of the subject matter and large amounts of facts and terms. However, this only serves to intensify and broaden the learning experience as you move through the book. It moves chronologically through time, offering case studies, further reading at the end of each chapter, and questions to promote critical thinking. This is one of the most fantastic books I have ever read, and he is one of the most informed, passionate, honest, and blunt professors I have had.
The book itself is a textbook, and should be read as such. Some accuse him of political leanings, and though surely he may have them in his personal life, his abilities to display just the facts is noteworthy. Every future CEO, Banker, Politician, Lawyer, and member of the Global South would benefit from reading this book.
on November 26, 1997
McMichael avoids the classic pitfall of falsely dichotomizing his development themes into modernization and/or underdevelopment theory. Nor does he leave us in the postmodern paralysis of absolute relativity. His straightforward and readable style reveals the entire postwar development project and its consequences, as well as the rise of the globalization project now under way. McMichael underscores his points with case studies and acutely observes the cultural phenomena and localized resistance of our times. Development and Social Change brings the sociology of development to the edge of modernity and the end of our century, in a vocabulary and style open to laypersons and sociologists alike.
on November 18, 2000
I completely agree with Mr. Jones' review. I can name countless books that offer strong arguments and good research. I can also recommend many books that are written with such clear and graceful style that they are a pleasure to read. McMichael is one of the few authors who can manage to combine these two aspects. I thank him for making it both easy and interesting for me to learn about this field of study.
on July 13, 2014
There's writing through out the whole book, but it gets the job done for my class.
on August 21, 2014
Great information!
on October 31, 2011
this was a required textbook.
less expensive than campus book store.
like most textbooks, informative.

all aspects of the transaction were satisfactory.
on February 26, 2011
This product wasn't clearly labeled according to edition on the Amazon page so it was a later edition than I had hoped for (9th edition) but I took that risk. I also was hoping that with expidited shipping I would recieve it sooner but it took about the full 6 days (business days and there was a holiday inbetween so i got it in about 9). But the book was in great condition so overall glad I bought it.
on September 26, 2011
The book was brand new so there was nothing wrong with it. It came on time as well. I recommend getting this book from this cite.
on June 9, 2009
Thanks for my book, I know I will do more business with you all. Good job
on December 12, 2012
i purchased this book, but cancelled the class that I was supposed to use it for. book is out of date and i never used it. hard to resell.