5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Hip Hop
This album is real. Modern day radio rap doesn't talk about problems in this world, they talk about girls and money. This album talks about the real stuff like racism, and oppresion. This album is one of the top hip hop albums ever in my book, a must own for any hip hop fan.
Published on December 29, 2004 by Trevor G. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars what is that song?
I believe that this album has it's share of good tracks. The way he express reality realy makes that person think on life. I'm not sure if I can remember correctly,but there is a song on one of his albums that I liked. I can't remember what the title is, but I do remember that in the chorus he says: "this is the days of old". If there are any one out there that knows what...
Published on April 13, 2002 by Eric M Dailey

5.0 out of 5 stars This album in one word: CLASSIC!, October 19, 2006
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
Paris is easily the most underrated MC out of the west coast. He can rap his a** off, his production is superb and he talks about things of substance. He can bring it to you on an Mc level with a track like Scarface Groove. He shows his frustation with the radio playlist on This Is A Test. He drops political and social gems on tracks like Panther Power, Ebony, Brutal(speaks on police brutality), The Devil Made Me Do It, Brutal(dope but he kind of sounds like LL on the second half of this song), The Hate That Hate Made, Escape From Babylon and Wretched. The bonus track mixes are a nice touch. DJ Mad Mike flexes his turntable prowess on I Call Him Mad. Paris gives it to you on a jazz tip on Mellow Madness. As for filler there is none. Bottom Line: Paris is one of the most underrated and most lyrically prolific emcee of all time and this album is proof of that! He doesnt waste time trying to be a studio gangster instead he is more focused on spreading knowledge through the music and that I can respect. If you like Dead Prez, Public Enemy, The Coup, The old Ice Cube etc then you're going to love Paris because he is right up their alley. Standout Tracks: SCARFACE GROOVE, PANTHER POWER, BREAK THE GRIP OF SHAME, WARNING, BRUTAL, THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT, THE HATE THAT HATE MADE, I CALL HIM MAD, ESCAPE FROM BABYLON and WRETCHED.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE DEVIL MADE HIM DO IT!!!, March 16, 2007
How did I find out about Paris? I was up north and I went to FYE and saw his second album(Sleeping With The Enemy) staring me in the face. I picked it up, listened to it, and fell in love with the whole album. I bought the rest of his albums from Amazon and lets just saw I dont regret buying them at all. If you love political hip hop then you must support Paris. Listen to this album and you'll see why he was intentionally kept away from us. Standout Tracks: SCARFACE GROOVE, THIS IS A TEST, PANTHER POWER, BREAK THE GRIP OF SHAME, WARNING, EBONY(this color called ebony), BRUTAL(somewhat sounds like LL in the second half of this track), THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT, THE HATE THAT HATE MADE, MELLOW MADNESS(on a jazz tip), I CALL HIM MAD(DJ Mad Mike was on fire!!!), ESCAPE FROM BABYLON and WRETCHED. Filler:NONE! Bottom Line: Paris gives you what you want from this excellent debut. Political and social commentary just the way you true lovers of hip hop like it. Make this album a definite part of your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Oakland., December 17, 2001
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
The most underappreciated hip-hop album of all time. Flowing political lyrics. Bumping East Bay funk. Jabs against "pop rap". The Black Panther 10-Point Platform. Amazing turntable work by Mad Mike.
But most importantly...
Seen the original Planet of the Apes? Remember in the end how Cornelius reads the sacred text that Dr Zaius had been keeping secret, "Beware the beast man, for he is the devil's pawn..." ?
You have to hear how Paris splices that speech and incorporates it into the Devil Made Me Do It!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paris Represents Conscious West Coast Rap, August 29, 2003
rodog63jr (bronx, N.Y.C. N.Y. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
At a time when Almost all West Coast Rap was about gang-banging, cars, etc. Paris took it to another level. His "Panther Power" showed that the ideology of the Black Panther Party was far from dead in Oakland. Paris, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, and X-Clan represented the level of Black consciousness in Hip-Hop in the Late 1980's and Early 1990's. This is a underrated album.

5.0 out of 5 stars keep it ol'school, April 14, 2002
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
this one of the most bomb records that have ever hit the rap scene. Not about all the ... that new cats be coming with.
keep it real and people will buy it. had the 1st record in 1992

5.0 out of 5 stars Collectors item !, April 10, 2009
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
I have this CD since 1990, along with a whole other bunch of hip hop classics. It has been years that I didn't listen to it, untill today......and man it blew me away again.
It's the combination of energy, lyricism & beats that just gets you energized. Too bad that Paris just never earned the respect he deserves. For me he is on the same level as Chuck D and KRS-1.

This CD stays with me 4 the rest of my life !

5.0 out of 5 stars best rap album of 1980's, December 15, 1998
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
paris is the best. all his albums are superb with this being the best. i think that those people who think that all his songs after this album are rubbish need to understand the message in all his albums. his rap is much better than ice cube or any other rubbish rappers.
guerilla funk is the best as well. sleeping with the enemy is good as well. unleashed is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn, That S@#$! Was DOPE!!, February 11, 2012
Richard A. Mcrae (Dallas, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
Damn, Paris is racist!! But good! The lyrics are slammin' and the beats are jammin'. Other reviewers are right -- this music is a message to the people to go take this White House back by decree! We need to get up and take our country back! November 2012!! I'm with you Paris -- The Devil Made Me Do It.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD just plain kills, September 3, 1998
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
This is without a doubt one of the best rap cds of all time. I bought it when it came out and lost it soon after. I spent over five years searching record shops until I finally found one tape a few months ago. He sucks after this, but any true rap fan must own this cd!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star rap star, November 17, 2001
This review is from: The Devil Made Me Do It (Audio CD)
Im in to punk rock but i will say that this cd is great. I dont like that i have the money cars ect. He is poltical correct in his lyrics and has a great style in his raps. So i would say if you want some hard rap political stuff pick this up

Devil Made Me Do It
Devil Made Me Do It by Paris (Audio Cassette - 1990)