Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change
Price:$19.99+ $3.99 shipping

on February 6, 2008
Firstly, let me say that this game is wonderful, as the title of my review would lead you to believe otherwise. I have followed the DMC series since it's initial release in October of 2001, through the horrendous disappointment that was DMC 2 in 2003, and the controller-shattering goodness that was DMC 3 in 2005, so, it's safe to say that I had HIGH expectations (as most did/do) for this sequel. For fans of the original and the prequel, nostalgia will abound, both in good and bad ways, but for some gamers requesting an NG or GoW experience, well, you're not going to find that here. Instead, you're going to find gorgeous graphical presentations on BOTH systems, well done but sometimes cheesy voice acting, some back-tracking (think classic DMC and you'll get it), and completely offensive (as compared to defensive) gameplay filled with enough challenge to satisfy fan boys and newcomers alike.

My biggest complaint about Devil May Cry 4 is also my biggest praise: Old School. For whatever reason, the developers decided that recycling levels and bosses would be a great idea, and, in theory, it is, because you are using two different characters who play, suprisingly enough, rather differently during a majority of the confrontations . My first thought was that Nero is the "Richter Belmont" stand-in for the "Alucard" Dante, and I wasn't too far off. The possibilities of heavy-hitting, nasty looking combos out of Nero are almost endless, thanks to the inclusion of the whip-like Devil Bringer, whereas Dante, with the ability to switch weapons AND styles on the fly leaves ample opportunity for, we'll call it, ecclectic devil destruction. Seriously, the combat in this game is fast, fluid, and aggressive, and may take some getting used to for newcomers to the series. Don't think that I'm equating it to a Dynasty Warriors experience, but more like NG sans the defensive tactics.

The sound in the game, while not top quality or reinvented, fits the experience perfectly. Techno-Rock + Goth-Classical Music certainly add to the experience, considering the locales, which I'll get to later. If you're wanting a brief summary of the music for this game, just listen to any other DMC soundtrack and you'll be right at home. Also, the voice acting in this game is fabulous, in part due to the recruitment of Johnny Young Bosch as Nero, who, after Trigun, Bleach, and Wolf's Rain, to name a few, has had more than enough time to master the honing of paper characters into vocalized existence. Dante is played by the same voice actor that played him in DMC 3, so not much has changed in that dept. My only complaint comes in the form of the translation from Japanese to English, as some of the phrases uttered by the characters come off as silly, childish, or simply confusing. Outside of this, being a fan, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Graphically speaking, this game is pretty. It may not be Uncharted pretty or Mass Effect pretty, but, for a beat-em up game, they are more than enough to satiate the pixel gods. Character-wise, the game is polished and flowing, with hardly any aliasing, clipping, or tearing involved. Location-wise, the game shines, as each location, although there are few, evokes a distinct feeling once entered and explored. What I'm trying to say is that each locale has it's own vibe, that, if you let it, will suck you in, that is, until the back-tracking begins (again, remember old school DMC). My biggest complaint about the graphical presentation of this game comes in the form of shadowing. In some stages of the game, it resembles the blocky, almost super-deformed style of the original DMC, whereas, in others, the shadows are cast almost haphazardly, not appearing in their natural position at all. All in all, however, the graphics are truly a beautiful aspect of the game that do not hinder the enjoyment level of this game in many ways.

Overall, this game is a must buy for any action-adventure fan. Notice that I did not bash the game for the 20 minute install time (PS3 Only) or the fact that, in essence, this game is DMC 1 Redux. If you loved, missed, ranted, or raved about the old style of DMC, well, then you're in for a suprise, as Devil May Cry 4 delivers on all fronts with a retraced but enhanced formula that, while good and bad, has influenced games like God of War and Ninja Gaiden since the series' original inception in 2001. In the immortal words of some guy I'll never meet:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The latest in Capcom's Devil May Cry series, DMC4 introduces some new elements but keeps a lot of the styles and conventions that made Devil May Cry popular in the first place.

The story this time revolves around Nero, a member of The Order of the Sword, a group of holy knights that protects the world against demons. Nero sees Dante, the hero of the previous games, kill the holy leader of their order in the middle of a crowded sermon. After fighting Dante - the story's introductory battle, which ends in Dante leaving with a smart remark - Nero must protect the city from the incursion of demons that have overrun it. The mystery of the occurrences and the truth behind Dante's purpose runs deeper as the story progresses.

As mentioned, the main character is Nero, not Dante. However, for the most part, Nero is similar to Dante and Vergil - a white haired pretty-boy in a long coat with a sword and a gun. Nero has three main weapons - his sword, the Red Queen, his dual-barrel revolver, the Blue Rose, and his glowing demonic arm, the Devil Bringer. Each has its own purposes and abilities. The Red Queen is used for most of the game's combat. Besides combo attacks and the like, it can also be "revved up" like an engine (the sword's hilt resembles a motorcycle's handle) to increase its damage. The Blue Rose isn't as damaging as either of the other two weapons, but can be used to wear down enemies - particularly bosses - from a distance. The Devil Bringer is used for throws, but also functions as a grappling hook for use in certain areas and against large enemies. Fans of Dante need not fear, as he is playable as well in parts of the game, using the weapons and styles he possessed in previous games.

DMC4 has a lot of callbacks to old games - moreso than the others do, anyways. The presence of the female leads from DMC 1 and 3 ties connections to those games (the other ones simply acted like they weren't there, similar to Bond Girls) and the introduction of the almost hilariously sexualized Gloria adds a new face to the series. Despite the difference in character styles, Nero and Dante play fairly similar apart from a few differences. This makes Nero familiar to fans of Dante, and Dante familiar to people who have played only this game and played Nero. Finally, the difficulty options are classified as "Normal" and "Devil Hunter", the latter being for people who have played the previous games and are used to the difficulty level established by it.

The graphics are phenomenal in this game, especially in the cutscenes - this actually leads to some parts where the in-game fighting seems drastically overshadowed by the cutscene fighting. As a whole, the game is very nice to look at, with plenty of cool effects to add to the stylish combat system that DMC loves. The sound is pretty good, with a rock-and-roll soundtrack during fight scenes, but it's nothing particularly exceptional. On another technical note, while the installation on the PS3 version does take 20 minutes at the beginning, I noticed almost no loading time during the rest of the game - the entire thing was smooth and seamless.

The gameplay, style, and graphics in this game are all fantastic. Capcom definitely knows what people want from a DMC game, and 4 delivers. The only mitigating factor is, even with the "normal" difficulty level, DMC4 can still get insanely hard at times (outside of combat as well as in it). But, as a whole, DMC4 is a solid package with a lot to love, and if you're willing to invest the time and effort it's worth it.

9/10
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2008
Okay, so we rented this game, and I was a bit leery. I haven't played any of the previous DMC's so I don't know the back story or how much fun they were... but this game was a trip! I am a button masher, I admit it, if things are coming at me with swords, or guns or whatever, my instinct says "Mash all of the buttons and hope something happens!" the good thing about this game is that it works! I was flying all over the place an destroying the bad guys.

So why not a 5 star game? Well the story was a bit convoluted, and the critters I was demolishing with my sword and demon arm were fairly repetitive... but it was a blast. The graphics were very good. The music was heavy metal-ish which didn't bother me because it felt like it went with the game.

Is this a must buy? Not really, but I would at least rent it for a fun time.

Note to parents - There is some language in here I would cringe if my 6 year old heard... and there are some cut scenes that appear to have a lot of sexual innuendo (one actually looked like a lesbian scene) and boobies do bounce on the overly large breasted women in this game. You have been warned.
88 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2016
While I would have loved to get the SE version, the moment I got DMC4 when it came out, it had always been my favorite. The first was pretty decent, though Trish creeped me out, 2 was a bit depressing, and 3 was too frustratingly hard despite having the best story behind it. (And I'm just partial to Vergil.)

Despite Capcom and the creators hardly giving us any straightforward answers to big questions in this fandom, (I personally don't think Nero is Vergil's child, but that's just me) the game play (with Nero at least) is really interesting and fun to play and different from the other games. Dante is a bit more limited and feels like you're playing as a slab of rock which was kind of sad.

With beautiful artwork, incredible characters, and despite a questionable plot, DMC4 personally ranks highest amongst the others. (Not counting that tragedy that was the reboot....)
Devil May Cry 4 is a game of contradictions. For every instance where the developer improved the DMC formula there is an opposing area where things have remained untouched since the original game dating back to 2001.

I'll begin with what players will likely notice first about DMC 4 - the graphics; simply put they are gorgeous. Throughout the game the player will be treated to an assortment of environments from urban to jungle and even arctic. Each area is rendered beautifully and I found myself stopping to admire the scenery several times. However, as much as the environments have improved graphically there is one glaring issue, they're still pre-rendered static backgrounds. Just like the original DMC on the PS2, the backgrounds provide no interaction, other than a few props like chairs and benches nothing in the environment can be affected by the player. No matter the level of destruction you render on your opponents - and some of the combos in the game are fantastically destructive - you'll never scratch the environment around you.

The pre-rendered backgrounds also present another problem - the camera. Although certain environments do allow the player to adjust the camera for a better angle of the action around them, many areas do not. You'll be stuck with the same fixed camera featured in games like Resident Evil. I can't for the life of me understand why Capcom loves these fixed cameras. The frustration of repeatedly failing to make a jump or accomplish a given task because of the poor camera is only amplified when you're faced with fighting multiple enemies. Often times you'll be completely blind as to where your enemy is, resorting to mashing the attack button in hopes of escaping the area alive. The camera in short is simply not up to par with the attention paid to the graphics.

The game includes 2 playable characters - Nero and Dante. Both have their unique weapons and combinations though Dante is clearly the more diverse character with access to far more weapons than Nero. Here again the graphics for the combinations are spectacular. The unfortunate part of the combo system is that it's mostly centered around a single button. There are some slight deviations based on what character your using but nothing very diverse.

As I mentioned the game features 2 characters. At some point in the story you'll switch control from one to the other. Without wanting to spoil anything I'll leave out most of the details, suffice to say though that it marks a huge disappointment in DMC 4. One you do advance far enough into the game to switch characters be prepared to travel back through the exact same landscapes only in reverse order. You'll be seeing the same environments and inexplicably battling the exact same bosses that you just defeated. I feel as though Capcom finished the game and realized that it was far to short to sell as it was and made the player trudge through the game again just to artificially lengthen it. To make matters worse you'll be fighting the exact same bosses a 3rd time before the game ends.

The music and sound effects in game are merely passable. There are moments where the soundtrack is actually quite good and fitting for the cut-scenes. However, when in combat the exact same terrible heavy metal track plays over and over again. It's aggravating having to listen to the same song time and time again.

Speaking of cut-scenes Capcom included an abundance of them throughout DMC 4. They are generally quite good in terms of graphics and voice acting, however, the love story infused with a generic betrayal/revenge subplot falls flat. I found myself caring less and less about the confusing story as the game progressed. It basically boils down to "kill the bad guys, save the girl". Nothing revolutionary here.

Aside from the revamped graphics and some slight online implementation in the form of leader boards and achievements there isn't much new to the series. I keep reading in various articles how western developers are pulling ahead of their Japanese counterparts and I think games like DMC4 are a prime example of why. Instead of changing the more trivial and frustrating aspects of the game Capcom has only wrapped them in a prettier layer. I lost count of how many times I stumbled into a new area in the game and was sealed into the room by a "ghost web". The only way to proceed was to destroy the enemies in the area. Why is there a need to even have something like that? There are many other ways Capcom will test a gamers patience as well. A confusing layout to some of the maps, random mazes that have no logical reason and don't fit into the game are everywhere. It seems like Capcom just threw these things in to lengthen the game. The worst part is that you'll have to clear these areas and mazes more than once since you're forced to play back through the same areas you cleared.

Devil May Cry 4 is worth playing and die hard fans of the original game will likely be satisfied but there are far better games out there. Try before you buy, even at a discount price, it may not be worth admission.
on April 21, 2016
I've been a huge fan of the first Devil May Cry game since it came out when I was 9- it's probably my favorite childhood game. I beat the original game on DMD die mode about a year ago for the first time, and to celebrate I decided to get the HD Collection and DMC4 to see how the sequels measured up. I played them all in order and beat each one, except DMC4 because my PS3 is currently bricked (so know going into this review that I haven't beaten the game yet). I wasn't a fan of DMC2; it was pretty generic and mildly entertaining at best, plus it was extremely easy. DMC3 was much better in terms of enjoyment and difficulty and I liked it nearly as much as the original game.

As for DMC4, I found it a lot of fun... but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Devil May Cry or DMC3. It was just too easy, compared to the other two- not that it was the same experience that you get with DMC2, which I felt I could have played in my sleep... I'd call it about average for an action game in terms of difficulty- maybe slightly harder than average. There were a lot of fancy new mechanics (most of them involving Nero's demon arm), and while they were sort of neat to begin with they started to feel a bit stale after a while and I started to miss the simplicity that the combat had in the original game. If the game had been more difficult and less focused on style alone, the extra mechanics might have been really cool, but as it was they felt sort of useless after the initial novelty wore off. I also did not like Nero as a main character nearly as much as Dante; his serious, moody character really cut down on the campiness that I enjoyed so much from the first game- in my personal opinion, a Devil May Cry game is best when it doesn't take itself too seriously. I don't count off too much for that, though (DMC3 took itself extremely seriously but I didn't really mind)- I don't know of anyone who plays any of the Devil May Cry games for the riveting plot.

That said, I still enjoyed playing the game very much. The core gameplay mechanics are as intuitive, fluid and fun as ever, and while I'm not a big fan of the way the series started prioritizing flashy moves over real difficulty, I must admit that the flashiness does have its appeal. The grading system seems to be more difficult this time around; I had a very hard time getting "Stylish" in combat and received lower grades on easier difficulty settings than on any of the previous games. The graphics are good, and the plot isn't awful except that I found Nero pretty hard to care about. If this wasn't a Devil May Cry game, I wouldn't have complained nearly as much, and its biggest failing is really just not measuring up to the previous games in terms of difficulty. Originally I was going to give this game 3 stars, but after writing the review I've realized that most of my issues with the game have little to do with the game itself and a lot to do with the expectations set by previous games. As such, I've modified my rating to 4 stars.

If you're a hardcore fan of the earlier games, you will probably find this installation disappointingly average in terms of difficulty, but other than that there's really nothing wrong with it. I would recommend this game to anyone who found the earlier games too difficult, as well as to long-time fans of the series who don't play it solely to get their faces smashed in every time they aren't perfect.
While the fourth DMC didn't showcase so much our beloved Devil Sparda son Dante but the new character but with the same smart a$$ attitude and skills to go with it Nero it is still a entertaining and fun game to play and worth getting for any gamers library. The graphics are a little dated obviously but again the gameplay is iconic DMC and the story and characters also make this an exciting game too. While I already had the game previously for my Xbox 360 sadly a friend who I lent it too ended up cracking the disc(no idea) and I had to get a new copy but still for the price not that much of a headache. So for newcomers to the series I suggest getting the DMC HD collection then this game and finally the reboot DMC to finalize your collection.
55 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2013
I won't go into a massive in-depth review because, honestly, you can find better ones elsewhere. The short and sweet verdict I have for you today is that Devil May Cry 4 is a funsauce game and worth every penny of the $20 I payed to buy it here, if not necessarily the $60 it originally sold for. You'll often find players complaining about the switch to Nero rather than Dante as a main protagonist, the lower number of weapons and bosses compared to Devil May Cry 3's impressive lineup of both, or the repeating environments in the second half.

The only items of those that are *actually* problems are the repeating environments and the bosses. The entire second half of the game suffers for the fact that one is simply made to backtrack through all of the areas from the first half of the game as a different character (in this case, as series protagonist Dante rather than DMC4 protagonist Nero), with very little in the way of new material to make up for the repetition. Rather than the impressive roster of fun and unique boss demons given us in DMC3, were are given a series of four main bosses that repeat over both haves of the game, along with a few (mostly in Nero's section of the game) that only happen once. To be fair, the bosses in this game *are* are pretty awesome, even if most of them don't feel as unique or inventive as those of its immediate predecessor.

I believe this flaws are balanced out by the overall quality of the game; DMC4 is a very fun, if somewhat dated, action game, and it is my humblest opinion that the lineup of non-boss enemies (excluding the hated Blitz) is the best in the series. Whether one is playing through the game's twenty story missions or just ripping it up in Bloody Palace (a timed survival mode where one gains more time to fight with by dispatching enemies quickly and stylishly), whether one is yanking all enemies into combo range as Nero or busting out insane, convoluted multi-weapon/multi-style combos as the iconic Dante, Devil May Cry is seldom so fun to blaze through as it is in this title. That the visuals and soundtrack both stick out as amazing (despite the craptastic shadow effects that stick out like nobody's business in the jungle area) are only the icing on that cake.

I recommend Devil May Cry 4 almost unreservedly. I just wish it hadn't been so lolrushedgottagetitout4newsystem. It could have been something truly amazing if they'd taken the time to make it so.
on August 7, 2013
Devil May Cry 4 is a nice installment in the series, and it has everything one would expect from the DMC franchise. Flashy, anime-style combat, guns AND swords (like peanut butter and jelly, they just work well together), tons of monstrous demons and last but not least, the classic Dante, with all of his corny jokes, innuendo and lighthearted devil-hunting style.

This game excels in making the enemies huge and detailed, the battles intense and satisfying, and the scenery lush and vibrant, whether in a frozen gothic castle or a demon-infested jungle. They really pulled off the difficult task of creating a sequel with enough new things to make it interesting and unique, while at the same time holding true to the roots of the series.

Dante is present in this game, but for all intents and purposes this game revolves around Nero, a newcomer to the series. Although his revolver and sword don't have the same variety and flexibility as Dante's, he is still a solid character and I would love to see him in more games in the future.

This game has a few bad points, but they are so small it doesn't even make an impact on my rating. I found the game to be a little too short, and I wish there were more missions. Also about halfway through the game, you end up retracing your steps and visiting the same locations over again.

Final verdict: Awesome, great story with hidden and surprising elements, classy combat, near-perfect graphics. Buy this one, it is worth it!
on February 17, 2015
One of the best brawler, hack-n-slash game every. Second to Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. If you love to do custom combos and have it recorded for youtube, this a game to get. Also recommend the Devil May Cry Collection for PS3 with the other 3 previous titles. Not sure why Capcom didn't bundle all four on one disc. FYI, this game comes with no trophy functionality despite what's listed on the Greatest Hits version.