Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on April 4, 2013
345 pages of shrieking, straight-jacketed lunacy, just a gorgeous horror theme sure to make you wake up in the middle of the night after reading it, half-sure that there is something spitting and growling, planning to jump you from under the bed as soon as your eyes close in the dark. It's had that effect on me each time I've re-read it. This is Bob Larson's sedate 1980s' BOOK OF ROCK, were it written by Stephen King on uppers, screaming at his typewriter. A masterful work of seething paranoia.

Chapter 2 opens with a bang: The essence of a hellish arena rock concert. Godwin beautifully captures the press of flesh, the claustrophobia, "the mind boggling mess of vomit, blood, urine, discarded clothing, broken glass, cigarette butts and joint 'roaches,' empty food and drink containers, and hundreds of liquor bottles." (p. 33--hmmm, reminds me of my dorm days on weekends....)

Beginning Chapter 3, "Demons in the House," running through Chapter 10, "Punks, Peace and Politics," Godwin runs the formulaic laundry list (a la Bob Larson's BOOK OF ROCK and the various Dan/Steve Peters' books) of rock acts: Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osborne, Black Sabbath, Doors, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rolling Stones, rounding up all the usual suspects of nubie-oriented boys' bands, but Godwin invests his examples with far more colorful invectives than more sedate authors like Larson, Peters Bros., Jacob Aranza--"Punk Rock is music made to worship death." (P. 242) Chapter 11, "Rocking For Jesus," takes a shot at Stryper, centered on the still on-going argument against THE BEAT. The balance of the book thereafter is a call to purge the rock influence, which is, again, a Godwin take on the formula with other period anti-rock juvenile writers.

The best part of the book, however, is Appendix A, as by "Elaine" (pp. 342 - 345), who states that she personally "attended special ceremonies at various recording studios...for the purpose of placing satanic blessings on the Rock music recorded. ...Placed demons on EVERY record and tape of rock music that was sold."

Godwin claims to have been a rock music addict and hauled his band's PA system in his van, but like Michael K. Haynes (THE GOD OF ROCK, c. 1982), Bob Larson, and other motivational writers/speakers of this genre, he doesn't provide any verifiable documentation to support that he was a working musician.
on March 20, 2006
1. "...the frequent screams punctuating most Rock tunes ALL come from the homosexual penetration of the male." (page 204)

2. "Punk, Heavy Metal and anarchy are the same thing. No one's in charge. No one gives orders. The rules are simple: there are no rules. If you see any orderliness or decency about you, destroy it. That's the political side of Punk/Metal. The way outright Paganism has crept into the picture is an even scarier development. Now the Punks don't just dance together, they kill together... There aren't many rapes at Post-Punk concerts, because the people have become asexual." (page 266)

3. Commenting on Venom's Black Metal LP: "I can't express in words just how evil this record is. BLACK METAL is not just a put-on. It is music made by real satanists praising their Lord." (page 172)

4. "Easily fifty pounds overweight, Ozzy's belly threatens to split his tight, sequined pants when he jumps and squats in concert. His double chin flops up and down when he sings while his long, greasy hair hangs round his fat face like a golden halo. He's missing some teeth in his lower jawbone... His nasal, tuneless singing style sounds like a raccoon caught in a leg trap." (page 95)

5. "[I]n 1977, [Keith] Richards, a hopelessly addicted junkie, had his ENTIRE BLOOD SUPPLY transfused with a fresh eight pints by a Florida doctor flown to Switzerland especially for the occasion... Richards has allegedly undergone this operation several times, replenishing his drug decayed body with the fresh blood of innocent donors." (page 47)

6. "I have personally met a great number of the Rock stars. They have ALL agreed to serve Satan in return for money and fame... I attended special ceremonies at various recording studios throughout the U.S. for the specific purpose of placing satanic blessings on the Rock music recorded. We did incantations which placed demons on EVERY record and tape of rock music that was sold. At times we also called up special demons who spoke on the recordings -- the various backmasked messages." (page 343)

I defy anyone to find a better book about music than "The Devil's Disciples". Jeff Godwin left me impressed--and I'm still reading the book! I completely recommend this book. Also, all crazy capitalization in the quotes belongs to Jeff.
22 comments23 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2015
My sister gave me this book in the 80's as a gift because of my taste in music. Before reading it I was into Zeppelin, The Doors, Hendrix etc. I have to say that by perusing this book I discovered some really great bands, such as: Sabbath, Merciful Fate, Venom, Dio and a whole host of others.

The writing was just short of comical but, unfortunately for the religious community, it had the opposite effect for what it was intended. I am now a grown up computer programmer and after listening to all these bands that Godwin warned about, it would surly disappoint him that I am not killing children or holding animal sacrifices.
on May 1, 2013
If you look at indie rock today-Two Door Cinema Club, Miike Snow, Phoenix-the songs don't talk much about sex. There is rock music that isn't saturated with sex in the same way that ACDC was.
on July 17, 2007
I read this book some twenty years ago, when I was at high school, and I'll never forget it. An absolute kitsch classic, it is truly not to be missed. One of the most hilarious parodies of Fundamentalist Christian hatred of rock music ever written - EXCEPT THIS GUY IS FOR REAL!

Seriously, if you were into old school hard rock and metal, you will laugh long and loud, as you re-experience the hysteria that was the 80's.
0Comment9 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2014
This book is a freakin' joke; if the author did half as much research on these bands, as he did on Hitler to have a basis of comparison, he would find himself misguided. This fool needs to invest in some Alprazolam and calm the F down. Taking quotes from lyrics of songs and close-mindedly grading them, is like becoming suicidal because a blind kid called you fat. This 350 page rant HAS to be a product of some idiot confusing his vitamins with estrogen pills. <sigh> some ppl just need to be saved from THEMSELVES.... I'm going to go blast Ozzy's 'Crazy Train' because I'm positive this guy was on it.
0Comment5 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2014
Bought this as a gag gift for a friend that is a metal head. This book is just plain silly.
on December 2, 2014
Even through the eyes of someone who absolutely hates it, Rock still Rocks!!!
on July 12, 1998
Upon reading the first couple of pages I thought to myself..."this is some of the most hilarious satire I've ever read". As I read on, I realized that this guy is actually serious. Jeff Godwin believes that everyone from Abba to Zappa is involved in a worldwide satanic conspiracy to take over the world. This guy really needs to get a life. He actually quotes supermarket tabloids like The Globe as sources for this book. It is poorly written, but if you enjoy a good laugh, check it out.
0Comment13 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2002
I believe that it is an undeniable fact that the lyrics of music affect the spirituality, emotions, and possibly actions of their listeners. Mr Godwin places all rock & roll into one group. He includes christian rock music in this group, putting an exclamation point on his obvious ignorance. I withold my opinion of specific music, but I fail to see how any christian can try to Biblically attack music that completely and obviously praises Jesus Christ and God. A person can dislike the sound of it, but to say that it's evil is absurd. I would give him Biblical passages contradicting many of his interpretations represented in this book, but I only have a 1,000 word maximum here, and it would take more than that just to list the references. My suggestion to Mr Godwin is to actually listen to some of the music at which he is "casting stones".
0Comment14 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse