5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, Highly Recommended!
Published on November 19, 2010 by Debra L. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Following Dante's Footsteps
Published on February 3, 2012 by Gardener

3.0 out of 5 stars Following Dante's Footsteps, February 3, 2012
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
Devil's Lair is a well written book. When you read this book, you will learn several arcane things about a knight's armor, books, horses, and other topics that are characteristic of the 1300's. The main drawback of this book to me is that the author expects the reader to be a Latin scholar, or at least have a working knowledge of Latin. There were many passages in this book, some rather long, that were in Latin and there was no translation provided by the author. Some of the passages were apparently germane to the plot, but because I don't know Latin, in some cases it was difficult to follow the plot. After this happened several times, I felt less like a reader and more like an outsider looking in.

If a new edition of this book was issued with these Latin phrases translated, I would give this book 5 stars. Without the translations, which caused difficulty for me to read it and enjoy it, I give this book 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, Highly Recommended!, November 19, 2010
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
The Devil's Lair is an ambitious book that does not disappoint. It is loosely based on Dante's Inferno and has a cast of fantastic characters full of flaws and redeeming qualities alike. The cast includes William, the holy friar, Gionvanni, the poet, Nadja, an epileptic girl and Marco, a Knight Templar who has lost his memory. Nadja is their guide and she lets her falling down "dreams" show them the way. Each character adds to the missing piece of the puzzle and the pilgrims venture on.

Their quest is to save the world from pestilence that is slowly killing everyone. To succeed, they must find the Holy Grail and take it from the Devil. Along the way they each must face their own demons and that's where the author's brilliance shines. Mr. Wisehart clearly is a master of languages, English, Latin, and Greek. I found some of the words he used challenging, but it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the story. I would caution readers to have a dictionary handy though.

I couldn't put the book down especially when the pilgrims started their descent through the layers of Hell. The author allows you feel their fear and trepidation the further into Hell they go. Each level of Hell is full of vivid characters and incredible descriptions.

All in all this is a fantastic book and I commend Mr. Wisehart on such an incredible novel. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance!, March 16, 2010
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
It is often so hard to find new fantasy novels that exemplify the brilliance of the genre. But, author, David Wisehart, has brought us a wonderfully dark epic that should not be passed up. The novel, based off Dante's Inferno, is a remarkable piece of literature. This book is not just for fantasy fans; it is also a piece worthy of any history fanatic's personal library. I am always looking for fantasy novels that try to re-invent or challenge the conventional ideas of the genre, and Wisehart does just that with Devil's Lair. I truly believe the author is a brilliant writer, and I cannot wait to read what else he has in store for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book, December 31, 2011
MaryAnnReads (North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
I almost never give five-star reviews. I couldn't give less for this book, though. A well-written and entertaining yet challenging historical fantasy, "The Devil's Lair" is as close to perfect as any book I've read -- indie or traditionally published -- this year.

The characters are a mix of historical figures (William Ockham, Petrarch, Giovanni Boccaccio) and fictional (Nadja and Marco). The setting is stunningly vivid. The action is intense and the dialogue is natural. Wisehart is unafraid of Latin (and I was glad I studied it in high school so many years ago) and fifty-cent words. I had to look up a couple of those words, in fact. Good. I'm frankly tired of books written to the skill level of a third-grader. This book is written for grown-ups.

I highly recommend this novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much Latin without translation, January 19, 2011
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, but there is a definite problem with it. There is Latin in the text, which impacts the story, that is not translated. The book would have been much improved if the author had included footnotes or in text translations. The tale is a good one, and the story interesting, but there are blanks in it because of these Latin passages that are not translated. I suppose since this book is only available as an eBook that the author may not have had the degree of editing that goes into most print books. If you know Latin by all means read Devil's Lair, but if you don't you may want to pass on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost Interest After Rape, December 15, 2013
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
I wish there was a disclaimer for people who don't find rape entertaining, and I never would have purchased it had I known. I got about 28% through the book and was very engrossed in the story until the rape scene where all interest went out the window. I'm glad I bought this when it was free.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Medieval tour-de-force, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
This is why indie writers rule. A mainstream version would have featured token character development then a quick descent with lots of demon-bashing and one-liners, the whole thing culminating into a made-for-TV movie starring Brendan Fraser (talk about a descent into hell...). Wisehart surprises on a number of fronts. First, over half the book is above-ground. This facilitates deep character development, exposing each's fatal flaw and potential for redemption. Such complex characterization only enriches their underworldly adventures, as each must face his or her ultimate challenge. Second, he is a master of the period. The phrases, philosophies, personas, and overall zeitgeist are thoroughly medieval. The kindle dictionary helps a lot, but not with the Latin. Third, and perhaps most importantly, the story shows how evil is not some external oppression, but the logical conclusion of our own weaknesses. In his words, "We are not punished for our sins, but by them." This bridges the gap to this distant mirror, spurring self-reflection and a vicarious journey for the reader. All in all, it is a wonderful read on many levels, no pun intended.

2.0 out of 5 stars How did this get 4 1/2 stars?!?, February 2, 2012
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
I am not sure if I read the same book as previous reviewers!! This storyline was disjointed and very scripted, with characters making decisions and forging relationships without any real background for them. Further, as one previous reviewer mentioned, there is TONS of Latin that is NOT translated, and which appears to be integral to the story (maybe here is where the holes in the story came from!!) I mean, PAGES of Latin!!
Generally, unless you are an avid fan of Dante's Divine Comedy, as well as other classical poets such as Virgil or Petrarch, then you most likely will not enjoy this book. Oh, and bring along your Latin translator, as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, new twist on a very old idea, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Devil's Lair (Kindle Edition)
Devil's Lair got me interested from the very beginning, but the author couldn't keep the pace of intrigue and excitement throughout the book. The characters are strong and I enjoyed watching them debate with themselves and their faith about descending into Hell itself, but once the company actually descended into Hell, the book started to loose steam. Granted there are some exciting bits, fighting Medusa and confronting Satan, but Hell mostly seems rather boring. Pale descriptions of the various tortures in the underworld did not leave a firm impression of the agony of Hell.

There is also too much Latin without translation. I could have plugged the Latin into Google for a rough translation, but I am too lazy and the author should have provided it. When I saw Latin, my eyes would skip a good portion of the page.

The author clearly did his research. This was not a book written without love of the subject nor without knowledge of Dante, authors of antiquity or major events in Italy circa 1350. Props to him for genuinely caring about his work.

Good for a weekend read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book, September 30, 2010
Rebecca Forster (Palos Verdes Estates, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Devil's Lair
Devil's Lair is by far the best book I have read in years. The premise is intriguing. A holy friar, a poet, a beautiful epileptic girl and an amnesiatic Knight Templar set out to reclaim the Holy Grail from Lucifer. Using Dante's Inferno as their guide through hell, they come face to face with their own loves and lusts, disappointments and demons even as they move toward their Godly task to save the world from the pestilence. Yet it is not just the inventiveness of this story that sets Devil's Lair apart, it is the incredible craftsmanship shown by the author. It is evident that he loves language - English, Latin, Greek. It is evident that his grasp of Medieval history is impeccable (or so it seemed to me). It is evident that his understanding of the Church, the superstitions and the science of the time is beyond reproach. But it is his natural storytelling ability that quite simply makes this book a work of art. Not once was I distracted by Mr. Wisehart's knowledge. Indeed, he drew me in with characters so well drawn I felt I was walking beside them; time and place to exquisitely communicated that I was lost in both. I am not usually a fantasy reader. I don't often pick up historical novels. I have just begun to read Indie authors. I am so glad I took a chance on David Wisehart. He is an incredible writer, an amazing storyteller, an author who I hope writes many more books and gets the recognition he deserves. Don't miss this one. Highly recommended.

Devil's Lair