5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution of Anberlin - or - Vital & more? Yes, please!
Published 15 months ago by JonnyFive

3.0 out of 5 stars It's eh.
I bought it at the pleas of a friend/diehard fan, and also because I had a music giftcard lying around, and this album was cheap at purchase. It's decent, but it's not amazing. Only a few songs ended up going on playlists I actually listen to. The amount of songs in this cheap album is great, but not many are ones I'd listen to over other songs I love. I feel like the...
Published 10 months ago by Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution of Anberlin - or - Vital & more? Yes, please!, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
As a casual/more recent Anberlin fan, I'm assuming the long-timers can write me (and this review) off now, as it's clear to me that newer Anberlin releases are different than the older material. This is as it should be, I suppose. Bands evolve and change, and... it seems many times the early fans of a band/artist begin to drop off as a band begins to sound & become different than the early material. Me, I haven't heard a lot of early Anberlin, coming in around Cities... but it doesn't seem to me they've changed too drastically... and I will say I REALLY like what I hear on this record. I'm glad I waited on Vital, as this release is EVERYTHING from Vital plus a lot of extra goodness. And... at the moment it's under $5?? If you're reading this review and it's still at this low price, just click on Buy It Now. To me, this is what hard rock should be. First and foremost, MELODIC. The tracks on this run from heavy and hard rocking to slower and 'brooding' without being cheesy. The lyrics are not (overly) cliche and well done. For any that could be considered so, the singer(Stephen Christian)'s exceptional voice makes it work. Truly an excellent vocalist. The production is interesting and uses a fair amount of effects and studio tricks without overdoing it. It keeps each track fresh and interesting. All in all, an outstanding collection from Anberlin and EASILY worth the discounted cost. Bravo, Anberlin and producer Aaron Sprinkle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Anberlin album that hits the mark!, October 17, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
I am big Anberlin fan, already owning quite a few of their CDs. However, I put off buying Vital, knowing that Devotion was coming out soon and would include all the songs from that album in addition to some new ones. I must say, I was not disappointed in the least.

I enjoyed all the tracks on this album, especially "Other Side," "Innocent," "Dead American," "God, Drugs, and Sex," "Take Me," and "The Unwinding Cable Car." The first part (aka Vital 2.0) has a great mix of hard, fast-paced anthems and softer, heartfelt melodies. Per usual, Stephen Christian's vocals are mesmerizing and adapt perfectly to the changing atmosphere of each song. As for the second part of the album, I'm not usually into live music recordings, since screaming fans can be quite distracting during and between tracks. However, these songs took me by surprise. The live audio was edited very professionally, but I still felt like I was at the show (which makes me even more excited to see Anberlin in person later this month)!

All in all, whether you're a longtime fan or just discovering Anberlin, this album is a must-have. Great, great music-keep it up, guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (Audio CD)
After listening to the previews, there were one or two songs that caught my attention, but I figured to go ahead, as I haven't been disappointed with any of Anberlin's albums yet. I'm sure glad I bought the entire album, it's fantastic. The sound clips don't do it justice. I wonder why Anberlin doesn't get the attention they deserve, this is truly quality work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, buy it while you can!, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
Okay, I actually skipped out on buying this when it was released as "Vital" but, I saw it for 5.99 and said.. "Hey, why Not?". It ended being on of the better purchases I've made. 31 tracks for 6 bucks, You really can't go wrong. There are some gems on this album, But the reminiscent tracks from their previous albums during the LIVE Session are really cool. "Impossible" "The unwinding Cable Car" "Breaking" "A Day Late" are more torn down versions of the songs, but I really dig them. All in all Devotion is awesome. The original "Vital" was awesome... I'm glad I got around to buying it. Get it while it's 5.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freakin' Awesome!, November 1, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
I went ahead and bought Vital when it first came out, because I didn't know Anberlin was going to release this afterwards. So it was a few extra dollars than I intended on spending, but it was TOOOOOTALLY worth it! Vital was already amazing to begin with (and probably my favorite album so far!) but the new songs found on Devotion just make it that much more amazing to listen to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit, October 26, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
An absolute hit from a band that continues to make records better and better as each year passes. Just great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 5 bucks I've ever spent on music, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
This record is one of my top six favorite from Anberlin. The B-sides are a great addition to the original album as well. The extra few tracks add a bit more diversity (some being heavily electronic while others are stripped down acoustic masterpieces) as well as increase in total playtime.

The second part of this album is from a live show. I'm not a big fan of live albums, but this is the first one I've enjoyed from start to finish.

For less than 5 bucks, it's a no-brainer. You can't go wrong with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anberlin At Their Utmost Best, August 5, 2014
This review is from: Devotion (Audio CD)
Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. One of my ALL-TIME favorite albums...ever! This album is not just kick-ass, it redefines "ass." This has some of my all-time favorite Anberlin songs. You can't go wrong with "Dead American" or "I'd Like to Die (Live)." I have no idea how I'd Like to Die was a bonus track - arguably the most beautiful, haunting love song ever written by the band...

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and listen to this album., August 5, 2014
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
Pick any Anberlin album and you will not be disappointed, but Devotion is particularly satisfying. The expansion of the dance beats and synthesized instruments on the album is surprisingly welcomed, especially when mixed with the hard charging guitar riffs that are prevalent on this album. This is the type of rock music that is so hard to find in the current popular music scene.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, June 11, 2014
This review is from: Devotion (MP3 Music)
This Album is solid, but not as great as some of the others. It's still worth adding for any Anberlin fan.

Devotion