4.0 out of 5 stars A nice general book
Published on March 27, 2003 by Aimee

3.0 out of 5 stars A non-threatening primer
Published on January 28, 2006 by B. C. Stanford

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice general book, March 27, 2003
This review is from: Devotions For Dating Couples: Building A Foundation For Spiritual Intimacy (Paperback)
I like this book and recommend it as a starting place. My boyfreind and I are both strong adult christians with a view towards marriag and family. We attend church and consider God a foundation to us. However we were both a little shy about starting out to pray together, or read the bible together and so on. This book is a nice start. It is not overly heavy; each reading is short. It is not deep into theology nor does it preach. It is a nice easy starting point for us. Also I come from a more full-faith background while he is more consertive; this book has walked a nice middle ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, June 17, 2004
Well, I don't know about not getting anything out of this book if you've been a "long time" Christian. Aren't we always supposed to be learning, seeking truth?
Anyway, for any couple that feels they are ready to explore their individual spirituality with each other, this is a great way to start.
My favorite part about this devotional was that each of us can do our devotionals on our own (which is great when you're not married/living together and can't necessarily nail down a time to be together every day of the week with work and school to balance) and then at the end of the week, we can discuss it together. This gives you time to really explore how you feel about the week, where you are spiritually, and where you'd like to be.
I have another devotional which I didn't particularly care for because it does not include any guidance questions. In "Devotions for Dating Couples" I love that guidance questions get us started, and then we continue the conversation into what we really enjoyed, learned, and how we can help each other.
When I bought this book, I really didn't know what I was buying... it was so much better than I thought it would be!
* The week is set up so that you can do one devotion each day for five days, and the sixth day has questions to ask and discuss. The devotions are also very short and not as time consuming.
**Buy two books so that you can each write comments, underline, and do the devotionals alone, then you will have your thoughts handy on Saturday (or any day of your choosing) to discuss the week!
God Bless!

3.0 out of 5 stars A non-threatening primer, January 28, 2006
B. C. Stanford (Yuba City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My girlfriend and I were trying to find a book that would just help us get in the habit of doing devotions together and praying together, and for the most part, this book did the trick. While some of the topics covered will seem old-hat to people that have been raised Christian or been Christian for years, they sometimes serve as a nice "refresher course" - something every Christian needs now and then.

Overall, I felt this book was very non-threatening, and a good way to accomplish the goal we were trying to meet. If you're looking for a way to introduce devotions in to your relationship without making it seem like a chore or a source of conflict, this book is a good bet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Devotional!!!!, January 2, 2012
This devotional is unique in the fact that most other couples devotionals are for married couples. This one can be applied to those who are dating and already want to strengthen their spiritual walk together. Great topics of study across the chapters and I LOVE the way it is set up. I have recommended this devotional to every couple I know who is looking for a more meaningful and spiritually strong relationship. FIVE stars all day long. My girlfriend and I loved this devotional and everyone I have recommended it to has as well. Strongly recommend you try this couples devotional before buying one for married couples if you are in a dating relationship. However, the topics and the spiritual depth involved do require an intimate and open relationship in order for both of you to come out stronger. This devotional is meant for a dating relationship that is on course for marriage, not for a casual dating relationship. I would recommend this devotional for anyone who is looking to further and strengthen their long-term relationship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devotions For Dating Couples, February 18, 2003
Doug Marino (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
My wife-to-be and I could not wait to consume the incredible insight from this devotional book. We especially loved the blend of deep spiritual thought with the "bottom shelf" practical application. This book is a must read for all dating couples, who are serious about finding THE ONE. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where are the other books like this? For DATING couples?, December 3, 2010
this book was fantastic. i am an "experienced" Christian while my boyfriend of two years is more of a newbie. this met right in the middle and was an excellent guide to reminding (or teaching) both of us that creating a relationship with God first and each other second (pyramid diagram style) is the way to go. there are nightly short lesson chapters that you read and each week has a theme. there are 3 questions after each nightly study with 3 verses that apply to the teaching and at the end of the week there is a summary of the weeks teachings and more questions. it really gets conversation flowing and is a very centering book. i love the writers. the are funny but relative.

i am desperate for another book like this one. one that isn't for engaged or married couples but is something we can do together so that we're holding each other accountable. isn't that what a Christian relationship is all about? write another book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Applicable for Every type of Couple, September 15, 2009
K. Fu (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
My boyfriend and I have been using this book for the last 1.5 months and we have really learned a lot. I think what makes this book different from a lot of other couples devotional books is that they stress that each individual needs to be strong in their own walks with God before their relationship can be centered around God.

The book goes spends a week focused on different characteristics of God that we should exhibit in our daily lives through every type of relationship with people. Then at the end of the week, it directs us to meet with our opposite to talk about how we can push each other to grow and how we can exhibit that same quality to each other as well as others. I think it's really important to be able to be strong individually and then as a couple.

The book was great and I'll look for more from this author in this style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digging Deeper...Together, July 15, 2005
This book has been amazing. My boyfriend has gone to church all his life and I started in 7th grade, we're now Freshmen in college, but we've know eachother for about 6 years and have been dating now for 2 years. I have always been slightly intimitated by his praying and his knowledge of the Bible but this has really opened up lines of communication that have enabled us to dig deeper and to honestly want to encourage eachother in our quite times as well as keep accountablity. Some of the Saturday discussion question have really allowed us to be real and to trust in eachother on a whole other level. We are still working on the book but it has already helped us to continue in our desire to glorify God in our relationships both with one another as well as others around us and to also hit home base on some topics that are never discussed. I'd recommend it but make sure that you pray about it and that it is something that God wants for the BOTH of you to do. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Useful for it's Audience, March 12, 2003
This book will be very helpful for many, since much of it focuses more on spirituality and 'discipleship in the grind' (prayer, forgiveness, simplicity) than on theological issues (i.e., the "Calvinism" vs. "Arminianism" debate). There are, to be sure, theological assumptions made by the authors, but they tend to take a backseat, because the aim of the book is to facilitate discussion between you and your dating partner to provide opportunity for understanding and growth. When I went through this book four years ago, I was a high-church Anglican, and my then-girlfriend was a Baptist - you can't be much farther apart on the spectrum! But this book provides fairly common ground for a couple to engage each other, despite potential differences.

The book dives head-first into some issues (within the parameters of its scope), while it merely visits the outskirts of others, such as grace, which I think could have been given a more full-orbed treatment. For instance, the original Greek word for grace, 'charis', comes from the root 'chara,' (joy) and is linked etymologically to the word 'chairo' (health) and I suspect 'ma_kari_os' (blessed) and, obviously, 'eucharisto' (the Eucharist). It often means 'gift,' as it does in the first chapter of the holy apostle Paul's letter to the Ephesians, and in when the 'charismata' (gifts) of the Holy Spirit are mentioned. The implications of this are delightfully helpful for our discipleship and our understanding of God, but are neither mentioned nor explored. There are a few other areas where I could raise this same complaint, but I might be asking the authors to chart out more spiritual territory for the reader than they felt needed to be covered.

I would tend to agree strongly with the reviewer below that this book can be somewhat simplistic at times. The simplicity of the book is, conversely, one of it's advantages, because if you haven't had the advantage of picking up technical terms or language specific to the history of the Christian Faith you'll be more comfortable here. In addition to this, short attention spans and busy schedules are accomodated by the length of the devotionals. Just a two to three page reading each day, with five to ten questions at the end of the week fostering discussion about the readings and relating them to your life. The questions aren't aimed at having the couple regurgitate doctrines, but tease out the inner and outer spiritual life of each person in the couple as an organic thing.

Depending on your circumstances, you might want to give this a spin, even if you're not a young Christian. The first and second chapters I didn't get anything out of, so a moderately well-read individual may need to wait a bit to come across a practical, simple insight which they hadn't considered. My ex-girlfriend and I found the format of this book helpful (particularly the questions for discussion at the end of each week), in particular because she wasn't used to either maintaining a steady devotional life (especially not the kind of devotional habits Anglican Christians have, such as common prayer and contemplation) or being engaged with theological themes. I would expect others to find this book useful, as well, but couples who are more widely read, who openly communicate with each other about their theological/spiritual reading, and who have a common devotional life may want to look elsewhere.

In the spirit of alternative recommendations for those who think they wouldn't be well served by "Devotions for Dating Couples," I might recommend reading through C.S. Lewis' "The Four Loves." We find that reading fairy tales and romances together - i.e., The Little Prince, anything by George MacDonald, the Irish story of the knight in The Ebony Tower by John Fowles, or other older epics and fairy tales - is wonderful for cultivating a shared faculty of wonder.

My wife and I are both Orthodox Christians, and during our engagement we went through Paul Evdokimov's "The Sacrament of Love," and the chapter on marriage in Alexander Schmemann's "For the Life of the World," guided by our spiritual father. He also recommended Phillip Sherrard's "Christianity and Eros," which I admit to having only browsed, but I thought I'd include it on the wisdom of his recommendation. I hope that's helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great study!, March 16, 2006
My Boyfriend and I are almost through this study, and we have learned a lot about God, and about each other through it. It is great doing something like this together and being able to keep each other accountable. I recommend this to any dating couple who wants to grow closer to God and to each other!

Devotions For Dating Couples: Building A Foundation For Spiritual Intimacy