5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book for fans....
I just got my copy this morning, I have to say this is one of the nicest game companion books I have purchased over the years. Being a Diablo fan since the original game I knew I had to pick this up and it doesn't disappoint, Blizzard has a knack for making great collector items.

Published on December 19, 2011 by R. Bunds

2.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary Lore Ruins Shadowy Heaven/Hell Feel and Creates Subpar Fantasy Setting of Been-Dones
Looking over the stretch of Diablo to Diablo III, Reaper of Souls merely two days out, I'm shocked into reviewing this item given the long fall of this once-great franchise. I should have realized after reading this book that I would despise the story and lore the third game added. And in looking at this book we find what's consumed the franchise, namely style over...
Published 5 months ago by Paramo

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book for fans...., December 19, 2011
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)

The cover of the book itself is a textured relief design, it's in a matte type finish and looks great. The red band you see around the book comes off and their is actually no text on the outside cover itself. The inside of the book is where it really shines however! The pages of the book have been rough cut on the edges giving them the appearance of old weathered pages, they also used a weathered yellow appearance on the pages themselves completing the ancient tome look.

The books contents are presented by the great man himself Deckard Cain, without spoiling to much of the content I will say it runs the gamut of all things Diablo. The villains, the heroes, lands and lore of Diablo's world and even hell itself is covered. Including Deckard's personal notes to his niece. And of course some of the fantastic artwork of the Diablo world is presented as old sketches.

In the back of the book was also a nice little surprise. Inside the hardcover was a envelope attached to the book sealed with a wax seal style of sticker. Inside this envelope was a small map of the Diablo world, with the same rough cut edges that make it look very cool, was a nice little extra.

Overall this book is a terrific buy and a great gift for any fan of the series, terrific job Blizzard!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great appetizer while waiting for Diablo III, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
Released before the game itself, this book is like a preface to Diablo III. Deckard Cain let us re-visit the Diablo universe, telling us the story so far.

-The physical book:
Epic in all possible ways. This hardcover is decorated with awesome textured artwork and the lack of any title (except the removable red band) make it look even more like it came right from the game. The 148 yellowish pages are thick and they have been roughly cut on the sides and to give that ancient book look and feel. As a bonus, they included an unfoldable map of Sanctuary secured in an envelope behind the back cover. This map is also roughly cut and is made of thick canvas-like paper. Overall, the quality and the presentation of this book could not be better. It's one of the best looking book in my library right now; I even gave it the honor to sit on the same shelf as my precious H.P. Lovecraft collection.

-The content:
Narrated by Deckard Cain himself, we are told the story of the Diablo universe in a narrative and personal way. Everything is in there, from the creation of the universe itself to the destruction of the Worldstone by Tyrael. We can also enjoy great descriptions of the heroes of the High Heavens and the minions of the Burning Hells. While reading it I could almost heard the voice of the famous item-identifier himself in my head. Never revealed before information is accompanied by great sketches, illustrations and side notes for his niece, Leah. It took me around 2 hours to read it from cover to cover. Note that I paused there and there to admire the finely drawn demons and angels.

Now, this is a must-have for any serious Diablo fan or anyone that can appreciate a well-made fantasy book. The only downside to it that I can find is that it made me even more impatient for the release of the game itself! Buy it without hesitation. I guarantee you will 'Stay a while and listen' to it ;)

Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan of the series then you'll most likely enjoy this., December 18, 2011
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
It has great art and good writing. Informative about the characters and parts of the story that have not been shown in the Diablo III game. I really enjoy having this and I got it for all of my friends that are fans of the Diablo game series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, nice looks sad that there is a bar code printed on it., February 5, 2012
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
This book is awesome for fans of the game who want more lore. I would give this book a 4.5 if I could.

The book itself is made to look "sort of" like a tome from the game. It has roughed up edges and it looks really nice. The pages are yellowed but are extremely crisp and heavy. The book has lots of yellow and black art, but not much color I.E. tome example. The red banner that is on it comes off very easy and is just decoration I assume. The barcode is printed on it, but ALAS if you remove it the bar code is still printed on the book. :( It has a map in the back in a envelope with a fake wax seal. The map is nice and thick and well done. Roughed edges make it look a slight bit more realistic.

The book reads much like a textbook recounting pieces like textbooks and chapters of topics. The very end has a note from Cain that gives the book a good finish. Overall if you like the game I really think you will like this book... else I think you are better off getting a story based on this book. The lore is accurate as far as I can tell. Talks about all the angels, demons, wars and locations in detail. Book is around 150 pages long and mostly text. If you are looking for an art book, this is not it.

Still, this book fills in a lot of information that may have been missing from the games and fills in the gaps about the events and people in the game. It reads very well for not being a story. Each piece is long enough to keep you interested but not bogged down like a droning school text book. I am sad this wasn't included in the collectors edition but as a stand along side piece it does well... though I still wish it went deeper into some aspects.

Pro's
Fast Read for Fans
Pretty Book/Tome
More Insight to the Game World

Con's
Barcode printed on book :(
Wish the delved a bit deeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Review, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
I'll keep it simple: this book is a great value when considering its quality and depth of information. As another reviewer said, the intermixed artwork flows seamlessly with the style and presentation of the journal, and there's even a neat little extra included on the inside of the back cover (it'll be up to you to find out what that is). If you're a fan of the Diablo universe, this would be a great addition to your collection of Sanctuary lore.

The only thing that I found particularly annoying about the overall package is that the red bit included in the image of the front cover is actually completely separate from the book (i.e. not attached). It includes the title of the book on the front and a brief discription of the journal's innards on the back, but it seems its main intention was to be used as a bookmark. I found it somewhat annoying to fumble around with every time I opened the journal, so I simply removed it as it was very easy to do so.

I thought it would be useful to include that information because the picture provided with the item is somewhat misleading, but it should in no way deter you from purchasing the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is good toilet reading material, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
If you enjoy reading on the can, buy this book. It will take you on a journey slaying demons while you slay some of your own intestinal demons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost couldn't put it down., May 2, 2012
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
I was actually surprised by how much I liked this book. It was very informative and did a great job of piecing everything together between all three of the games. It answers a lot of questions I've had as well as points out some details I missed while playing the game. I loved it and I'm thinking about reading it again. If you're a fan of the Diablo games you'll definitely want to check this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have for Diablo fans, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
I really love this book. I love the way it looks "old", with pages ripped, the yellowish paper... I liked reading it too. the story is interesting, it's not boring whatsoever. It makes easy to understand things that happen in the game series (it explains a lot of things in the games, like the sin war and why the demons infest the world). It's not a strategy guide, it's not a bestiary. It is a book about history. If you want to go deep into the world of Diablo, go for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
This book is excellent; I haven't yet finished it, but the craftsmanship itself is worth buying. The edges of each page has a burned look to make it look like an actual manuscript. The art is excellent, book is easy to follow and the it's well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) (Hardcover)
Really enjoyed it, it made me realize the lore in this series was way more in depth than I originally thought. Zero regrets purchasing it

Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge)
Diablo III: Book of Cain (Deckle Edge) by Deckard Cain (Hardcover - December 12, 2011)
$35.00 $24.28