4.0 out of 5 stars Cutting to the Chase
I am an adult player, I am not a farmer or a troll, and I am not someone who's on Torment Level 10 (or whatever). I just like the game, have since Diablo I, and that's about it. I'm also aware that a lot of younger players are writing reviews here, and feelings are riding high. But I want to say what I think, without taking too much time about it:

1. I love...
Published 9 months ago by Nuria

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not 40 dollars good
I played through the original Diablo 3 game and just finished the expansion. The original game was riddled with problems and many people were angry about it. Over the last year or so, Blizzard did a great job LISTENING to the people that play Diablo 3 and the game has completely turned around since then!

Things fixed in original Diablo 3 game through patches...
Published 10 months ago by ted

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not 40 dollars good, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)

Things fixed in original Diablo 3 game through patches (you paid for these when you bought the ORIGINAL game, not the expansion):
-No more auction house!
-Items drop for your character (stats you need)
-Improved legendary drop
-Legendary drops have fun attributes
-Increased customization ability (no more being stuck to one build for your class)
-Reduced reliance on magic find to get legendary drops

These changes were all great and the gameplay is vastly improved with them.

However, that is all with the original game.

For the expansion, you get:
-1 new playable class (crusader)
-1 new act for the campaign (act 5) including 3 new boss fights that is roughly 2-3 hours depending on difficulty and how thorough you are
-Adventure mode
-New skills for your character (some of which are very fun)
-New loot

So when you separate the changes for the old game versus the new stuff from the expansion, it looks a little different. In terms of amount of content, the expansion seems more like a small DLC package than an actual expansion.

Story: 2/5
It's good but it is "few and far between." You get fed a tiny piece of story now and then, but most of the time you spend grinding on the gigantic maps trying to get to the next area. What little story there was, it was interesting. But there was not nearly enough to denote a 40 dollar price tag. In short, 3 new boss fights and just a bunch of grinding in between. They threw in some mini side quests but I don't think they add much to the game. They even reused some of the old models for monsters from the original game. The campaign just felt rushed in terms of story and more created for long term grinding playability. Would not recommend for the story.

Gameplay: 4/5
It's much better, but once again, it was better in the original game too after all the updates! The new act is full of big levels and lots of monsters, so if you love running around, killing things, and finding loot, it's perfect. It can be too big and a bit monotonous at times though for the average gamer.

Adventure mode is just trying to give you a carrot on a stick to replay old quests and give you a goal while you grind. It is nothing special. You just might get a prize for doing the same thing you were going to do anyways.

TL;DR - A 20 dollar game with a 40 dollar price tag. The new content is minimal, considering you get 1/4 of the story content of the original game for 2/3 the price of it. This expansion is definitely set up for the hardcore fans who just like to run around killing things aimlessly and hoping for loot. If you are playing it for any other reason than that (STORY), you can skip this title until it's cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cutting to the Chase, April 2, 2014
Nuria (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)

1. I love the game, and I think the expansion is great, although it's far harder to keep up with, and I did have to give up "Torment" level (one). I like the way the characters are developing, and I like the sense of community in the game, with people to talk to and a greater feeling of connectedness overall. I'm really quite happy with the expansion, EXCEPT:

2. Okay, you've heard it before: THIS for $40??? One act only? I was astounded when the game ended abruptly, although many allusions were made to future expansions. But will each of these be only one act and cost $40? That's pretty outrageous.

As to the "adventuring" concept, the point needs to be made that not everyone wants to just kill demons without any story line whatsoever. Seems like a cop-out to me.

This is one of the greatest adventure/RPG games of all time. I hope Blizzard doesn't blow it.

And that's about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the $40, that's for certain.., April 9, 2014
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
The improvement's made are a good start, but I don't feel like it fulfilled my needs especially at the $39.99 price point. What you're essentially paying for is a new Act & Crusader class.

But If you're like me and didn't love the Crusader class as much, than you've just paid $39.99 for the new Act which was by the way a very short one. All the other improvement such as drops etc were available in D3 already..

Maybe I'll change my mind, as I haven't played much of adventure mode, but so far I'll leave it a 3/5, I think it would've been more appropriate at $19.99 or $29.99 at the very most..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great expansion., March 27, 2014
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
Great additions like level 70 cap, some new abilities for your characters, adventure mode, nef rifts, new act V and a new crusader class. I am enjoying the new content and this is a fine addition to Diablo III which has 4 amazing acts. The only beef I have with this game is it is still online only DRM even for single player. Also many of the "new" features were already supposed to be in the game orgionally or in patch 2.0 but were chopped out to add features to try and justify the 40$ price tag for this "expansion". Overall I am happy with my purchase as I love this game but feel it is way over priced for what content is added to the game and the online only DRM still really boils my pee as there is no reason to have it with no auction house and BOA items, gold, gems etc. Overall a great gaming experience and a wonderful series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Internet connection still required for single player, August 24, 2014
Petik (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
One of the biggest issues went completely unresolved with the expansion pack. It is Sunday evening and I want to get a couple of hours of single player gaming in...well that's not going to happen. The wait to log in to battle.net is ~55mins. Not acceptable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
I am 76 years young and enjoy this game so much that the timer tells me I have already played it 105 hours. My hand and eye co-ordination has also improved immensely, which us old folks can sure use. Thank you for a fun game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diablo III 2.0: A Casual's Perspective, May 15, 2014
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
Like the title says: I am not a huge fan of Diablo.

I grew up playing Diablo II and enjoyed it. In fact, I loved playing all Blizzard games. I think each one is just as great as the one before it, but I am, honestly, a casual fan. I do not practice theorycraft (mathematical analysis of game mechanics to discover the best strategies) that only the most hardcore players partake in and I believe those are the same type of people that review the latest Blizzard games and criticize them to the Burning Hells and back. Which is not bad, of course. I would be the same way if I was just as die-hard as they were, but sadly, I am not. To me, the appeal of Blizzard games is that they have addictive gameplay that is simple-yet-complex and anyone that has even the slightest interest in gaming can easily play and enjoy themselves greatly. That is a winning formula in my eyes. With the latest release by Blizzard, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, I believe the formula is refined to near-perfection and it easily makes it the best Diablo yet.

"You must be crazy for thinking Diablo III is the best one yet," says my devoted Diablo friend, "Diablo II is effortlessly the best one". And you are right in thinking that, my friend. Diablo II is a highly-regarded game and it was a blast to play, but I believe Diablo III takes the groundwork from its predecessor and expands on it in a fun and satisfying way, while the expansion, Reaper of Souls, crafts it to near-perfection. I'm sure by now most of you devoted Diablo gamers have already read this review and gasped at my claims that Diablo III is the best one yet, but I am aiming this review to you and the likes of my kind, the casual fans of Blizzard's highly popular games. So read on my friends, both casual and hardcore.

To my passionate Diablo gamers, I think we can agree that the original Diablo III was not the best it could be, especially after 11 years of waiting. I played the release-date version of the game and liked it for what it was, but it could've been a lot better. I believe the auction house was the main source of my dislike for the majority of the game. The gameplay was strong but the auction house hid the best loot behind a pay curtain, which is something I am completely against.

To my casuals, this is how it went: The original release of Diablo III was a good game, but you pretty much had to pay actual dollars to get the best loot in the game, which is an ultra-important part of the game. It sucks having to spend $60 on the game itself and find out that you can't really enjoy it unless you pay more money to get better gear in order to be the powerful warrior you are and die less often. Before the release of Reaper of Souls, Blizzard finally fixed their mistake and released a free patch called "Loot 2.0" that removed the auction house and improved the loot system, allowing even the most casual of gamer to easily score big on gear and have fun kicking some demon ass with it. This improved gameplay, coupled with Blizzard's amazing production, makes Diablo III one of the best Action-RPG games on the market.

To my devoted gamers, I'm sure you already know about the expansion, Reaper of Souls. I'm sure you know all about the new features: Act V, Crusader class, Adventure mode, Nephalem Rift, raised level cap, Mystic artisan and more. It would be a dishonor to try to review this expansion to you, because in all honestly, I haven't experienced even 10% of what the expansion has to offer. I can say that I am currently playing as the Crusader and it brings back memories of rolling as a Paladin in Diablo II, making it easily the funnest class in the game, in my opinion.

To my new players, you do not need the expansion in order to enjoy all the content the updated Diablo III provides, but it does help a lot. The expansion gives you another class to play as, another act to adventure into and tons of content to keep your demon slaying going on into the near future. If you're a first time Diablo player, I highly suggest getting a few friends together and and experience Diablo III together, it is a game best played with others. If your friends don't have a computer good enough to run this game or prefer consoles more, Blizzard released Diablo III for consoles last year. Or you can wait till they release the "Ultimate Evil Edition" (Diablo III + Reaper of Souls) in the summer for both previous-generation and current-generation consoles. But worry not, no matter what platform you play it on, Diablo III is always fun.

In the end, I believe Diablo III has improved and expanded so much since its release two years ago. It evolved from a game that I liked to a game that I love and I can easily give it the 5-stars it earns. It's simply a must-buy for all who want a great adventure with friends. But before I end this review, I would like to say to my like-minded individuals, don't be intimitated by the reviews from gamers that play these games passionately, they are only expressing their opinions of the game, both good and bad, because they play the same game we play but on a deeper level. They dedicate so many hours to these games and would like to see it be better than it once was. If it wasn't for these vocal individuals, we wouldn't have the game-changing patches that improve the game drastically. And if you do end up liking this game more, they will be the people that will guide you into a deeper understanding of what makes Diablo so enjoyable. Until then, have fun slaying some demons.

3.0 out of 5 stars About as Bare Bones as You Can Get and Still Call an "Expansion", March 26, 2014
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
Reaper of Souls improves Diablo 3 but still leaves me wanting. For an expasion pack it is also extremely light on content.

RoS provides you with one new class, a new act, "adventure" mode, and "rifts." Adventure mode and rifts essentially exist to fix the extremely lackluster state this game was in during its Vanilla launch a year and a half ago. I suppose that's progress, but buying an expansion just to get the game into the state it should have started in just feels wrong.

Anyway, the "rifts" have been described in promotional materials as being truly "randomized." Not really. It's the same maps as always, just with different lighting and random enemies inside. The rifts basically accomplish the same thing as Torchlight 2's random maps do, except way more poorly. It doesn't flatter RoS that TL2 doesn't require an expansion, only costs $20, and has been out for over a year and a half now.

The Crusader class is interesting for a little while but basically its a standard Paladin with a few Cleric-y or Mage-y tweaks. Maybe like a City of Heroes "Defender" character used to be. If you play this class, expect lots of long cooldowns in the 20, 30, and even 60 second range. You could play the Crusader.. or again you could play TL2 and just download any of dozens of player made classes for free. Nothing the Crusader does is especially unique for this type of game, except to the extent that the class feels like it was created for WoW rather than a hack and slash.

The music has improved slightly for this outing, but doesn't touch Diablo 2 for atmosphere. It does at least sound better than the shoes in a dryer that marked the Vanilla version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much improved over D3, August 8, 2014
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
I recently purchased this, I delayed do the negative reviews claiming little content but my experience was different. That and my disdain for Bliz creating a bot market( The AH) and profiting off of it while players suffered in a hyper-inflating economy.
It took me about 8 or so hours to complete act 5 but I missed over half of the events. The events I did see were cool and I can't wait to track down the others. I wasn't rushing it but wasn't clearing everything either, sometimes I would screw around.

The most important thing is your difficulty setting. Being almost 2 years since I last played and remembering nothing I thought I should start on normal. Honestly that setting shouldn't exist. I don't like leaving a game once I get into the content I'm pretty sure I upped to the next mode after the first boss and I shouldn't of stopped there either. The last few zones I completed in expert and it was much better I wish I switched sooner. I beat Malthael on my first attempt with a few close calls without reading about him.
A few mobs had too much HP, I think they need to increase their DPS and drop HP to add more skill and less grind. I was a dps sorcerer and didn't feel squishy at all. Definitely starting my crusader on master mode.

Loot 2.0: it's great, It's almost impossible to get gear for your follower though... There are too many items and a lot of legendary items that don't have unique bonuses, hardly makes them legendary.
Paragon levels: I'm assuming this crap was to add to the "end game" pre-expansion, pretty lame grind fest addition.
Story: not enough of it but I liked it. the "twist" after beating Malthael was lame. Each follower has their own story event which was pretty cool.
Crusader is boring
Overall worth $30 nothing more but I'm still sour about their AH profits at the cost of playability.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good luck staying connected to the server, August 24, 2014
Ed Erdman (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac (Video Game)
What a pity. This COULD have been a 5 star game. Lots of fun to play if this is your thing. The problem is, connecting to the Blizzard servers and staying connected. I CONSTANTLY and I mean CONSTANTLY am dropped and often find it difficult to get back on as well. The problem is, when this happens you lose what you've done since the last checkpoint. This means having to do the same things over and over and over and over and over again until you can finally reach a point without getting dropped. The plus side is you get a lot of experience and find lots of loot. The downsize is you are doing the same thing over and over again. It's very frustrating.

And my system is fine I can stay connected to other online games including those by Blizzard such as WoW or StarCraft for hours at a time without issue - it is this game.

The way it is, I doubt I'll ever be able to finish it it's so bad. What a shame it COULD have been a lot of fun!

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PC/Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Windows 7 / 8)
$39.99 $30.50