5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing resource.
Published on February 13, 2008 by A.W.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Include Essentials
This is a nice work book if you need to learn relaxation and mindfulness, but it shouldn't be sold as a DBT workbook as it leaves out thought distortions entirely. DBT is much more complex than learning to relax.

As a patient who has been through DBT I know that you need to learn how to reprogram thought patterns that cause stress and anxiety so that you aren't...
Published 18 months ago by JenB

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing resource., February 13, 2008
This review is from: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation & ... Tolerance (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) (Paperback)
I've read a lot of self-help, pop-psych books targeted at dealing with strong emotions. Most of them seemed true & helpful at the time I was reading them, but fell apart when I tried applying them to life. This book is not only easy to use while you are using it, but it is easy to recall later in the day, or the week, or even a few months later, and easy to use the techniques. I even find myself suggesting techniques to friends who share emotionally-distressing situations with me. Later, my friends report that it was some of the best advice they've gotten.

I also have Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook), which seems to be the same general idea, but didn't seem to be as helpful for me. I just wish that therapists trained in Dialectical Behavior Therapy were more widespread and easier to find. Highly recommended book for anyone who is working on dealing with overwhelming emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides sensible and realistic ways to help yourself, August 3, 2007
Carla Blair (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I picked up the DBT workbook to learn how to help a good friend who suffers from bi-polar disorder. It improved our interactions with each other, and in working through the exercises I discovered practical ways to thwart depression and manage my own emotions. This book's for anyone who suffers from depression, anger, anxiety or just wants to have a little more control over their emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASIER TO USE THAN MARSHA LINEHAN'S TRAINING MANUAL, September 4, 2007
This is an easy review of the concepts presented by DBT founder Marsha Linehan. I am reviewing it with my psychologist and he is helping me to understand her phenominal new ways of living and being at peace with the daily distressors in life. Great workbook to have to heal yourself of mental and regular day to day stressors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for borderline!, December 25, 2008
I got this book for anger management at work. A lot of it doesn't speak to me as I don't think I have a lot of the issues it deals with, but it was WELL worth the money and time just for the anger management. It has really helped me keep perspective, and also be able to live with myself and remember that I'm not a horrible person when I slip up which usually just gets me more upset.

I imagine that the sections on anxiety, passivity, impulsivity, and abandonment issues would be helpful as isolated bits as well for anyone dealing with those problems. You don't need to have a formal diagnosis or be in a serious therapy program with homework and workbooks if you are self-motivated. This book is very helpful to lots of "overwhelming emotion" issues. You don't need to be having serious problems in multiple spheres of life to get something out of it. It's simple, straightforward, not that hard to do, and not tied to a lot of ridiculous speculative theory like so much psychology.

It isn't some profound book on Zen or psychology or human nature. No deep explanations, no bull, just practical cognitive and behavioral techniques that can be self-taught with very little work, that are very effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real how-to guide to mastering your behavior, January 13, 2010
At first I cringed when I started reading this book, feeling like it would be another self-help questionnaire book that makes me feel good by doing little writing assignments, but doesn't really move me forward. But this book, combined with regular counseling, helped me conquer what I considered was an anger problem within 3 months. Having worked with this book, I can honestly say it is well worth the work, and I feel a much happier person today. It does require that you actually do the exercises honestly and follow up, and I contend that working with a counselor was also a crucial component. But I know of very few books that actually give you hard and fast tools to master your responses and change your own circumstances. It's too easy to say "take deep breaths" or "think of a happy place", and hundreds of advice books sell you that. With this book, I developed a new awareness of my stress, and I was able to re-train my knee-jerk responses to relax, and I respond to life better now, to the greater pleasure of my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new DBT resource, October 29, 2007
This book provides a valuable contribution to the psychiatric literature by translating Linehan's techniques for distress tolerance, emotion regulation, mindfulness, and interpersonal effectiveness into a clear and concise format. It can be used as both a self-help manual and a clinical reference for psychotherapists integrating DBT into their practice. It is an important addition to the growing body of manuals aimed at decreasing the psychological suffering of individuals coping with highly distressing emotions, thinking patterns, and behaviors.

5.0 out of 5 stars In depth and detailed skills training, March 8, 2008
A huge amount of information presented in a systematic way. I bought two workbooks. The other by Scott Spradlin. Both have their strong points. Spradlins is simple and clear and an excellent first choice. It provides a selection of methods which would be useful to anyone. This volume has significantly more detail and much more indepth discussions. While it might be a bit overwhelming, it has so much information that it cannot help but be useful. My only complaint is that the book frequently uses examples that include self mutilation. For this reason I would not give it to anyone who has not thought of cutting as an option.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book offers hope., March 24, 2008
jdavissd (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I've been in therapy off and on my whole life and I have never gotten to the root of my problem until this book. It's easy to read and offers actual problem solving exercises you can do in minutes. I bought one for a relative for her birthday and another one for a friend that is in a month long in-patient program. It's been life changing for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Effective, January 16, 2008
As a therapist, I think it's wonderful that DBT is now considered an effective therapy to use for various mental health needs. I find the workbook more user friendly than others I've tried and my clients are finding it cuts to the core of some basic difficulties they have in interpersonal interactions. It's simple, doesn't dull the reader's interest, and clients are telling me they are learning valuable skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, May 13, 2013
Very easy to read and relate the exercises to clients, would recommend this for clinicians starting off in the field. Well written