Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on November 23, 2013
I am a big fan of Dialectical Behavior Therapy and self help books. I am currently looking for something better on the market though. I was a little appalled by some of the activities that it suggests. I personally feel like looking at trashy magazines and imagining having sex with celebrities does nothing for my emotional and mental health. No thank you.
on December 29, 2012
I'm honestly not sure why this book has such a high rating. I was surprised it had so many stars. I have no vendetta against it, and it looks like it's helped a lot of people. So that's great. But this is my opinion:

I got about halfway through the workbook before I put it down. I have no diagnosed mental or other issues/disorders; I function well in life (am not severely inhibited by my moods) but they bother me enough that I wanted help.

The exercises in the workbook simply didn't seem to help me, either in the short-term or in the long term (I tried many of them repeatedly, just to make sure I wasn't missing any sort of cumulative effect). The language the authors used in the descriptions also bothered me sometimes.

There's another popular DBT workbook out there called "don't let your emotions run your life," or something similar. And for comparisons sake, I've gone through that entire workbook and I loved it. It was probably 4 stars' worth helpful to me in comparison to this workbook's 2.

Anyway, I found many of this book's exercises to be impractical (involving audio-recording yourself), or ineffective, and the language of the text explanations to be overly dumbed-down and actually slightly negative (the authors seemed at times rather judgmental or label-y.).

Also, I don't like t he organization. It splits sections, like learning mindfulness, into the "beginners" chapter and the "advanced" chapter. It recommends mastering the initial exercises before moving on.

Anyway try it if you want! Read the other reviews. But coming from someone who has spent extensive time both with this workbook and especially with the other I mentioned (this one and the other seem to be two of the most widely recommended on the market)... The other one helped me more and had clearer explanations. (And the other one helped me right away, too... I didn't have to work so hard to try to make it work for me. Don't get me wrong, it was work - but it made more sense.)
on April 29, 2014
I was excited at the idea of a workbook that my clients could use. As I read it through I became very disappointed. Where is the DBT skills part? I get the "distract, relax" part but the cope part is almost non existent. And I agree with other reviews in that some statements in this book prompted me to look closer at the authors. It has a decidedly male gender perspective. I would have liked to have an author included that identifies more specifically with a female perspective.
on September 10, 2014
I don't like this book, It is hard to read and understand the tools. I ordered it at the same time I ordered "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder" I thought they would be similar. They except for the appearance (one being green marble and the other blue marble) they are not alike. I also lent this to a few people, some being licensed therapists, no one I lent it to liked it. I ended up donating it to ARC. I recommend buying "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder" instead, it works for non-bipolars as well..
on June 2, 2015
This is a decent book that helps cover the basics of stress. Good use of visuals and understanding the sequencing of stress. Stephen Hayes, Acceptance Comittment Therapy is a tad more useful. Emotional Core Therapy is much more effective for treating psycholgical stress. Emotional Core Therapy is also more inclusive of other therapy approaches.
on November 22, 2015
Id give it two and a half stars if I could. Its just barely more usable that the DBT wellness planner. The added benefit is some useable practice exercises within the book. The problems with all the different books and authors, is that there is no collaboration. There a lot of repetition and varying ideas about what is a really a new field of study.
on April 7, 2015
Not helpful. Recommended by a therapist who must of thought I had a personality disorder. I do not recommended for those suffering from basic depression or anxiety.
on February 7, 2014
This type of therapy is supposed to help those with borderline personality disorder. I myself have been diagnosed with this for years. The ONLY therapy that helps is long term individual counseling. The tips and exercises in this book may help you for a short time; it may give you some insights; but DBT has not been shown to be effective for the long term. I know that therapy for years can be expensive and time consuming, but it is the only way for recovery. If you are suffering from borderline, get as much therapy as you are able to. Make sure you know how much your insurance pays for and use it. Make any monetary sacrifices you have to in order to get as much therapy as you can. Also, see a psychiatrist for medication and take it! Don't whine about side-effects. I know all this because even though I've suffered with borderline (including 8 psychiatric hospitalizations) I have still managed to raise a family and I am earning a doctorate degree less than a year from now. Borderline is not a death sentence, but, you have to put an effort into getting well. Spending money now on therapy will save you lots later. If you can't or don't work now, after getting help you for awhile you should be able to. Plus any money you are spending on self medication, and the loss of other opportunities will be replaced by the results of therapy and medication, many times over, in the long run. Our society always wants a quick fix to every problem, that is why DBT is so popular. But, it's useless. By the way, the woman who devised DBT suffered from borderline personality disorder and if you've ever seen her interviewed you can see she herself has a long way to go to recovery. She seems strangely manipulative.
on November 11, 2015
Not the best book. The set up is just sort of strange.....I don't like the way it's written.
on September 6, 2014
a good entry level DBT book, but somewhat basic