Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 22, 2009
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder is an excellent resource for anyone interested in learning more about the complex challenges in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. Van Dijk writes in plain language with descriptive headings, straightforward case study stories and includes many valuable guided exercises. She clearly breaks down dialectical behavior therapy skills as they apply to the wide range of symptoms of Bipolar Disorder.

Using a creative practical approach to mindfulness, Van Dijk gently encourages the practice of present moment awareness of symptoms, thoughts, feelings and sensations. She validates the difficulty of practicing mindfulness, along with the many life enhancing benefits that come with gaining control of your mind.

The book effectively illustrates the direct connection between judgments and emotions. It provides a simple framework to work with intense emotional experience from the triggering event right through to the action urge and aftereffects. It also provides excellent exercises to separate facts from judgments and to explore the power of language in helping foster a nonjudgmental stance.

Van Dijk takes a compassionate approach to help people struggling with Bipolar Disorder gain control of their emotions and behave in more life affirming ways. She effectively teaches how to use skills to develop insight, heal relationships and reduce impulsive behavior. The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder is a valuable tool in engendering hope for patients, families and clinicians working in this field.
on October 26, 2009
This is very user friendly workbook that is empathically written. It provides a clear explanation of the variety of symptoms experienced by people coping with bipolar disorder, or any of the broad range of symptom intensities related to this disorder. It offers a clear presentation of a very useful and practical approach, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, that fosters the development of one's best abilities to manage difficult, problematic moods, urges and behaviors.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy is a creative blend of cognitive behavior therapy and mindfulness approaches. Mindfulness approaches develop necessary awareness, compassionate acceptance of what is, and progressive skills (including distress tolerance, emotion regulation and interpersonal effectiveness skills) so that one can enjoy healthier functioning and easier achievement of one's realistic goals.

Many personal stories richly illustrate the important points being presented. There are wonderfully clear explanations on how to foster more positive and effective relationships. For family and friends wishing to helpfully assist a loved one develop maximum functioning there are highly useful guidelines. Also provided are many additional good reasouces including books, websites and organizations. The use of this workbook along with ongoing medical and professional care will help one gain progressive relief from bipolar disorder.The Bipolar Workbook for Teens: Dbt Skills to Help You Control Mood Swings (Instant Help)
on February 3, 2012
I have bipolar and recently did a year and half of DBT therapy. I bought this book to help me solidify the many skills I learnt (I think it may be the only book on DBT for bipolar on the market?) but as it turns out the notes I made while in therapy are more useful and I have found this book pretty bland to read. I was disappointed to see the section on "acting opposite" was very short. I think this book probably would be ok in a setting where the book is literally being used as a workbook by a bipolar patient of a psychiatrist or psychologist who is qualified to do DBT but the way I was taught DBT was so perfectly adapted to my headspace that I think I would have found this book annoying had I used it in that context. A good therapist who is really intimate with DBT (such as I had) will not need this workbook and I really don't think DBT is something you can just learn out of a book - in therapy you will see how DBT skills can be used in your life. If one was to just use the book without therapy I suppose it would be better than nothing but I suspect one's understanding of DBT would be pretty shallow. If someone with bipolar wants to do DBT I suggest they get a good therapist who really understands DBT and check out some of the great DBT websites that are around. As a book to understand bipolar it is not terrible but there are definitely better books out there. This book is not a bad adjunct to DBT skills for bipolar patients but it is not quite good enough (in my opinion) to be the central platform upon which DBT is learned.
on September 24, 2009
this workbook is clear, sensitive and very reasonably written. It is useful for the psychologically minded person working with a therapist, as well as for someone trying to do self help on their own. Good clear explanations of the processes and useful tools, and many worksheet type pages to copy and share. good to apply to many people with different types of emotional struggles.
on May 7, 2015
Fits in well with my therapy. It's something extra I can read and work on between sessions that's catered towards people with Bipolar Disorder. Normally Dialectical Behavioral Therapy has been targeted to people with Borderline Personality Disorder, but I've found the therapy has really helped me a lot. It's nice to have a book that ties DBT and Bipolar together.
on March 19, 2011
I'm still in the process of doing this workbook, but I love it so far. Before buying this book, I had heard of DBT, but was not familiar with it. The book explains everything, and explains how each particular exercise is beneficial for bipolar disorder, so you understand why it is worth your time.
on March 5, 2014
This is a great workbook, especially for people who have never heard of DBT. I use it as an additional resource for my daughter and myself on top of our DBT skills classes. Lots of interaction to keep you on track. Take it slow. I especially like the mood charts. Some of it needs better explanation as DBT is confusing in of it's own but overall, a great workbook for anyone who is Bipolar and needs to regulate their moods.
on June 17, 2013
I have read just about everything there is in the self help category for bipolar. This book has been so helpful, approachable, and understandable. I recommend it to anyone who is searching for a way to help the elves or someone else who had bipolar or simply lacks emotional stability.
on January 5, 2015
This book is very outdated in the approach to DBT and reads like a clinician's manual. The exercises are few and far between, and they aren't so much exercises as they are self-inventories and lists.

The worst part for me were the mindfulness exercises, which attempt to teach you that there's only a select few ways to mindfulness and unless you're doing it the author's way, there's hardly any room for other mindfulness activities.

Save your money and purchase "The Bipolar Workbook," whose author's name escapes me at the moment, but feel free to post a question about it and I'll respond.
on November 23, 2010
Most DBT information out there is focused on Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Anyone can benefit from DBT, but one major focus now is Bipolar Disorder. This book has tests and explanations and definitions for Bipolar. It is focused on common situations for Bipolar. It can be very hard for anyone not BPD to relate to BPD issues and this book is excellent!

Even if you are just trying to learn new skills and don't have Bipolar this book can be benefit. I especially like the section on anxiety.