5.0 out of 5 stars Price and quality
Price per lb + quality of ingredients have me and my 155lb Newfoundland loving this stuff. In today's economy it's nice to not skimp on the dog while still keep things affordable.

What this stuff reeaaallllyyy needs is a subscribe and save option!
Published on January 12, 2012 by Mark Downing Heese

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Dog Food
This dog food is okay.. My dog seems to have an allergic reaction to the Beef flavor (even though she's never been allergic to beef products), but I switched her to the D.N. Chicken & Rice formula and she seems loads better.

Published on December 1, 2012 by Catnip Pusher

5.0 out of 5 stars Price and quality, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog, Beef and Rice Formula, 40 Pound Bag (Misc.)

What this stuff reeaaallllyyy needs is a subscribe and save option!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chow, February 9, 2011
We moved to another state and could not find Blue Seal Dog food, unless we drove for miles to get it. We decided to purchase Diamond Naturals and my dog absolutely loves it. Like Blue Seal, our dog eats and feels satisfied. She doesn't have the need to eat more and more like the cheap store brand dog foods which in turn made her poop more and more. Her coat has an amazing shine. For the price and free shipping this is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Best Value, great for my weimaraner, March 7, 2012
Mavjay (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
I was spending $60 per bag on a dog food of dubious quality at PetSmart, and I had trouble getting my dog to eat all his food, so I set out on a search to find a dog food that met three criteria:
1. Highly rated
2. Cost less than $1/lb
3. My weimaraner both likes it and his stomach tolerates it (weims are known for having weak stomachs and allergies)

Using dogfoodadvisor.com, I compared the five-star brands to the pricing available online; I found no dog food that cost less than $1/lb. So I began to look at four-star brands; there were only three that I could find for less than $1/lb. and two of those weren't widely available (I'm not driving an hour for dog food). So I "discovered" Diamond Naturals Beef & Rice at a price of $31.79 for a 40 lb bag (Amazon Prime price, shipping included). That's 79˘/lb.

One criterion left: my dog had to both tolerate and like the food. Weimaraners are apparently known for having weak stomachs and allergies, so I was worried about spending $40 to find out. This has not been an issue; even better, Maxwell LOVES it. Now the only problem I have is that he might be eating too fast.

Great value, highly rated dog food. And Amazon Prime ships in two days for free. The dog and I are both happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you know what your dog is eating?, December 18, 2012
Our family recently got on a healthy foods kick, and I thought "Hey, what about the dog?" So we started to look into what is actually in dog food. Bad news folks, it's mostly all some kind of filler like corn, wheat, and ground up chicken bits that don't really qualify as meat. You ever wonder why your dog is so fat? He's addicted to the carb filler in his dog food just like you are addicted to cherry pie and those great breadsticks at olive garden! I'm not going to go into a big description of how the glycemic index works, but all those carbs and lack of nutrition in his cheap dog fog make him eat more and get fat. You’ll notice the serving size on really expensive dog food is much lower because there is actually meat in there and no filler. Even everyone’s favorite Science Diet has a heck of a lot of filler in it. I recommend Diamond Naturals because this is the cheapest no filler dog food that you are likely to find. And I can tell you it has made a difference. We used to feed regular old Dog Chow and our three year old lab was fat, her coat was dull and she had occasional digestive problems. On the Diamond she is down to her ideal weight, she’s not sick anymore, and her coat is like black glass. She’s the prettiest dog you’ll ever see. If you love your dog read the label on their food. You don’t have to buy diamond, but if you do you won’t be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dog loves it, April 23, 2011
It seems like a really good dog food. One of the vets at the animal hospital that I work for recommended this. I used to feed my dogs Science Diet Sensitive Stomach (2 of 4 doctors at our hospital feed SD to their own dogs) but when employees were no longer given massive discounts on SD, I switched to this dog food since its about the same price as regular SD. science diet always seemed to make my beagle's poop mushy, although my other big dog does well with science diet and has firm poop. One of the other vets (who is more holistic) suggested this food to me since the ingredients are more natural and not from corn or meat by-products found in Science diet, and she preferred it over Science Diet ingredient and quality-wise. My beagle's poop is no longer mushy, and both my dogs are on this diet now and they seem to love it.

**Keep in mind, every veterinarian is different and each vet has their own opinions about which food is best for dogs.
Consult with your veterinarian for diet advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breeder Review: Been Feeding this since it first came out to my German Shepherds!, March 1, 2012
Seriously, the first FIVE ingredients make up 75% of ANY dog food, so all remaining ingredients is a gimmick to my opinion. Diamond doesn't advertise so they keep their prices reasonable. I called Diamond years ago, the makers of many dog foods, incl. its very over rated Taste of the Wild. Spoke with the nutritionist and ask the questions i needed answered.

What of the Calcium phosphorous levels? are they 1:1 ? YES. Good that's what we want.

As a breeder of large breed dogs, its costly to feed a large dog, i did a lot of searching to do my dogs justice and to watch for SLOW growth, so NEVER feed a large breed a puppy food either.
(PS: I feed the regular beef or chicken, not the lamb, and not the large breed, its useless as its not enough of the recommended amounts of glucosamine/msn in it per cup fed)

I have meantime upgraded to PREMIUM EDGE also made by Diamond.
Key thing is for dogs to switch it up. Do not feed your dogs the same food
for years on end. I switch out a bag of Premium Edge with Solid Golds' Bison.
and that is every week there about.
I also alternate with a day of just true RAW food which i've done for years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Dog Food, December 1, 2012

On the upside, her stools were smaller, firm, and less smelly. She stop having tear stains under her eyes, and she's a lot less gassy and hungry.

Downside, her coat smelled horrible after eating D.N. Beef Meal and Rice, plus the skin eruptions. :/ And she wasn't too crazy about the taste.

She seems to really enjoy the Chicken and Rice formula though!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great solution! Better dog food for a great price!, February 3, 2012
My wife and I were picking up dog food from the local stores because we really didn't think we had the money to afford better quality food for our two dogs. We were very excited to find this food which is much better quality than what we were getting although I realize there is much better out there. Our Lab has actually put on weight so we have lowered her daily amount. This whole bag lasts us a month with a lab and a beagle/Shepard mix (medium dog). We thought we might be able to decrease the amount they were being feed once we moved to a better dog food, but we were not expecting to do so on the start of the third week. This dog food will be something we order monthly. Our dogs love it, there is less mess outside, our lab's coat looks great (and I think the other just needs a bath) and we have seen a lot less scratching from the lab. Her sores (hot spots) have healed and she is doing much better!

I recommend giving this a try! We love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave my dog horrible gas, February 4, 2014
So I thought it was the transition period giving my dog a bit of gas. I stuck with this Diamond stuff through a bag and a half, over several months. After 60 pounds of food, still the dog is laying the silent-but-deadly traps all over the place.

I only give it two stars because the dog scares herself when her fart makes noise, which is hilarious. But seriously not worth the constant horrific rank odor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang for your Buck., November 12, 2013
I take both our dogs' health and our budget very seriously. After trying many different foods (Diamond Naturals, Wells Pro-Pac, Merrick Whole Earth Farms, etc) and spending hours comparing and crunching numbers, this is cheapest dog food per SERVING available on Amazon that meets my minimum standards for nutrition. This is a much better way to estimate value since many foods are cheaper per pound, but require you to feed twice as much or more per day because they get a lot of their weight from fillers with little nutritional value. On the other end of the scale, foods that are more expensive per pound (such as Canidae, Castor and Pollux etc) are actually surprisingly cheap per serving since you don't need to feed as much, but Diamond Naturals ultimately edged them out on price.

My minimum requirements? Meat or meat meal must be the first ingredient (not byproduct or byproduct meal.) No corn, BHA, artificial coloring, etc. Basically, rated 3.5+ on dogfoodadvisor.com.

It costs me $1.08 a day to feed my 3 dogs (weighing approx. 120 lbs total, typical activity level) Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice (this product.) Other foods I looked at that met my standards cost $1.12 - $1.70 or more per day. My dogs love this food just as much as the more expensive brands we've tried (exception may be Merrick Whole Earth Farms, but in the long run I think they'd rather I spend the extra $80 a year on toys anyways) and they are just as healthy.