Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 12, 2012
Price per lb + quality of ingredients have me and my 155lb Newfoundland loving this stuff. In today's economy it's nice to not skimp on the dog while still keep things affordable.

What this stuff reeaaallllyyy needs is a subscribe and save option!
22 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2012
I was spending $60 per bag on a dog food of dubious quality at PetSmart, and I had trouble getting my dog to eat all his food, so I set out on a search to find a dog food that met three criteria:
1. Highly rated
2. Cost less than $1/lb
3. My weimaraner both likes it and his stomach tolerates it (weims are known for having weak stomachs and allergies)

Using dogfoodadvisor.com, I compared the five-star brands to the pricing available online; I found no dog food that cost less than $1/lb. So I began to look at four-star brands; there were only three that I could find for less than $1/lb. and two of those weren't widely available (I'm not driving an hour for dog food). So I "discovered" Diamond Naturals Beef & Rice at a price of $31.79 for a 40 lb bag (Amazon Prime price, shipping included). That's 79¢/lb.

One criterion left: my dog had to both tolerate and like the food. Weimaraners are apparently known for having weak stomachs and allergies, so I was worried about spending $40 to find out. This has not been an issue; even better, Maxwell LOVES it. Now the only problem I have is that he might be eating too fast.

Great value, highly rated dog food. And Amazon Prime ships in two days for free. The dog and I are both happy.
44 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2012
Our family recently got on a healthy foods kick, and I thought "Hey, what about the dog?" So we started to look into what is actually in dog food. Bad news folks, it's mostly all some kind of filler like corn, wheat, and ground up chicken bits that don't really qualify as meat. You ever wonder why your dog is so fat? He's addicted to the carb filler in his dog food just like you are addicted to cherry pie and those great breadsticks at olive garden! I'm not going to go into a big description of how the glycemic index works, but all those carbs and lack of nutrition in his cheap dog fog make him eat more and get fat. You’ll notice the serving size on really expensive dog food is much lower because there is actually meat in there and no filler. Even everyone’s favorite Science Diet has a heck of a lot of filler in it. I recommend Diamond Naturals because this is the cheapest no filler dog food that you are likely to find. And I can tell you it has made a difference. We used to feed regular old Dog Chow and our three year old lab was fat, her coat was dull and she had occasional digestive problems. On the Diamond she is down to her ideal weight, she’s not sick anymore, and her coat is like black glass. She’s the prettiest dog you’ll ever see. If you love your dog read the label on their food. You don’t have to buy diamond, but if you do you won’t be disappointed.
88 comments| 216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2011
Without a doubt, Diamond Naturals is the best affordable quality dog food on the market. They sell the 40 pound bags where I live for around $22-25, so I do get it a little cheaper. What makes Diamond Naturals so great is the fact that it does not contain corn, wheat, or soy in the ingredients. Corn and wheat are what causes skin irritation, dryness, loss of hair, and loose stools. All of the other brands around this price contain corn or wheat as their first or second ingredients, like Purina, Iams, Science Diet, Pedigree, and other cheaper brands. Also, Diamond Naturals actually has considerable portions of REAL meat instead of fillers and by-product that the other brands have in them.

Is Diamond Naturals the best dog food on the market? No, but some us of cannot afford the $60-70 holistic dog foods. Diamond Naturals rated 4 out of 5 stars on a top dog food review website and a 3 out of 5 stars on another top dog food review site. Some people will say it's a so-so dog food, but do not listen to them. They are quoting from old reviews or they are reading reviews for "Diamond" dog food.

My Rottweiler use to eat Purina (bad I know, but I hadn't done the research yet!), but he had loose stools, skin irritation, and had a TON of shedding. When I switched to Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice, the irritation, loose stools, and the major shedding all stopped.

However, the cheaper brand "Diamond" is not of the same quality as "Diamond Naturals," so be sure you have the right brand before you buy. Also, if you're spending $35-40 on this dog food, then i'd upgrade to the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul dog food which is $40 for 35 pounds.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2011
We moved to another state and could not find Blue Seal Dog food, unless we drove for miles to get it. We decided to purchase Diamond Naturals and my dog absolutely loves it. Like Blue Seal, our dog eats and feels satisfied. She doesn't have the need to eat more and more like the cheap store brand dog foods which in turn made her poop more and more. Her coat has an amazing shine. For the price and free shipping this is worth it.
44 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2013
And I am thrilled that with the windows being closed at night, we are no longer likely to die by dog fart. We used to buy Canidae lamb and rice for our dogs but they stopped making in in the quantity we like to buy. Changing dog food is always a scary situation and we have been burned in the past (I swear the dog beds were smoking). I had accidentally ordered a chicken based schmancy dog food prior to this one and we barely survived the ass swamp our bedroom became over the course of the night. Being addicted to thrift... I couldn't just throw an almost full 44lb bag away and every night became a butt battle ground. No longer. The dogs love this brand and I can get up for a snack or to use the bathroom now without fear of having to spend the rest of the night on the couch, having lost the acclimation of the first few hours of farts. We will continue to order this brand.
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2011
Our three year old German Shepherd suffers from severe food allergies which cause itching, redness, and hair loss. We tried many different types of food, including the most expensive, all natural, and allergen free types on the market. This is the ONLY food he can eat. After two weeks on this food his redness was gone, his hair was growing back, and the itching was practically gone. He has been on this food exclusively now for a year and a half and is doing great! The Amazon price is high, we buy ours at the local farm supply store where it is $26 for a 40 pound bag.

If you have a dog with allergies, at least give this food a try. This is a premium food at a bargain price. I have read reviews of many dry dog foods, and this one ranks 92 on a scale of 100 for quality, healthfulness, and safety. For the price, you cannot get any better.
22 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2013
Its dog food, I have not tried any yet but the dog seems OK with it. He would prefer people food (old yellow lab) but then he has room clearing fart. If the economy tanks maybe I will be eating it too and will update this review. I purchased it because the ingredients are real food instead of fillers like most brands. It is a decent food without breaking the bank, better than many well known brands. It was recommended to me by a person that does K9 agility competitions. They are usually pretty into the foods etc. She said it is not the best but far from the worst. My lab is 12 and not exactly a high performance, hunting machine anymore, more of a tripping hazard with bad gas, but still my buddy, and want him to eat food that's not made from corn stalks and chicken beaks. Worth trying (or buy some for your dog to try). Can be found a few dollars cheaper locally sometimes, but then I have to go get it instead of watching the UPS man lug it to the door with all my other amazon purchases. Hope this review helps.
on December 1, 2012
This dog food is okay.. My dog seems to have an allergic reaction to the Beef flavor (even though she's never been allergic to beef products), but I switched her to the D.N. Chicken & Rice formula and she seems loads better.

On the upside, her stools were smaller, firm, and less smelly. She stop having tear stains under her eyes, and she's a lot less gassy and hungry.

Downside, her coat smelled horrible after eating D.N. Beef Meal and Rice, plus the skin eruptions. :/ And she wasn't too crazy about the taste.

She seems to really enjoy the Chicken and Rice formula though!
77 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2015
The most recent bag of food that I purchased made my three-year-old Siberian Husky extremely ill. He began experiencing diarrhea, which I did not initially attribute to the food, as he's been eating it for quite a long time now. I placed him on a bland diet of chicken and rice for a few days and his condition dramatically improved. Last night I added some of the diamond naturals to his meal to reintroduce him to the food. He was sick the whole night. I'm not sure if this bag of food was contaminated or if the manufacturer recently changed the formula. Either way I am no longer feeding it to my dog. My poor boy has been hibernating behind the couch all day, sick and miserable.
review image
77 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse