5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU. A bike manufacturer get it right.
This is a great bike. I'm a bike guy and I've built many bikes and I have lots of bikes, for very specific purposes. What was killing me in trying to find a bike for my daughter was that most bikers completely fail at offering a bike for a 9-12 year old girl who is going to be street riding.

Basically here are the choices out there. A mini mountain bike, or a...
Published 21 months ago by gnoshme

3.0 out of 5 stars Frame is nice, components OK, setup lousy
Published 21 months ago by David Lieck

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU. A bike manufacturer get it right., May 5, 2013
This review is from: Diamondback 2013 Girl's Clarity Performance Hybrid (24-Inch Wheel,Purple,24-Inch, Girls) (Sports)

Basically here are the choices out there. A mini mountain bike, or a mini cruiser, and here's the problem.

Mini Mountain Bike. HEAVY. A kid riding streets does not need big fat knobbly tires. They also don't need ANY suspension. Worse than that the suspension on most kids bikes is absolute junk.. It's something that makes the bike worse and heavier. If I had a boy who broke everything then I might like the idea of front suspension to help protect the front wheel, but even then.. questionable.

Mini Cruiser. Cruisers are fun. I have one and I use it when I want a laid back tootling around experience with other people on cruisers.. but they are not a great format of bike for a kid to learn how to cycle.

Mini Road Bikes. Worth noting that mini road bikes barely exist and I don't think I'd put my 10 year old in that format right now anyway.

So what's left - well look what's happened to the adult bike market. 10 years ago hybrids came along. The stance and shape similar to a mountain bike, but thinner tires (still more resiliant than road bikes), slightly different gearing and no suspension.

That's what Diamondback have done with this bike. (I hear there's a Trek out there too that is very similar.) The bike is great and well put together. The black rims give it a cool look. The components are adequate and definitely not junk. The brakes work VERY well. The seat has enough travel to make this a 3 season bike for the average growing kid. If they were to make one change I would prefer that they would drop the front gears and have a single crank at the front, and spend the saved money taking the derailer on the back up a step in quality. I just don't think the added complexity and weight are necessary for a kid of this age.. the rear 7 gears are plenty all by themselves. I'm of the opinion that if gears get in the way (from a confusion or quality perspective) they shouldn't be there. I'm focusing on getting my daughter to get to a point where the rear gearing is second nature and may well pull the front ones if I find they get in the way of that.

Bottom line.. GREAT BIKE. Everything that a kid needs to become a proficient cyclist and have a bike riding foundation for the rest of their life in a minimal package and sensible format.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for my 8 year old., December 25, 2012
Bike was easy to put together. Daughter is 48 inches and it fits her well. This bike is lighter than most kids bikes and easy for her to handle. It has skinny tires to make it easier to ride, however i would not purchase if you are planning on riding off road. Bike is very solid and adjustable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike for price, May 31, 2013
This bike has worked out very well for my 9 year old daughter. After searching high and low for a 'quality' (non big box store) bike, I was frustrated with the fact that most brand name girl's bikes are mountain bikes with wider tires. The Clarity, however, is more of a 'cross' bike with thinner tires, thus making it much more efficient pedaling for my daughter. If you'll be spending most of your time on paved road or trails as we do, I would highly recommend this bike over so called youth 'mountain bikes.' You will not be disappointed.
Paul
Minnesota

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Whip For My Daughter, October 22, 2013
I'm a cyclist through and through, got my own quiver of bikes and have fairly high standards but have a budget as well. Didn't want to spend a fortune on kids bike but demand a certain level of quality... This bike DIDN'T have a front suspension fork which IMO is a big liability on a lower cost kids bike in both weight and durability. This bike is lightweight and really covers all the basics for my 8 year old daughter. I sorta wish it was just a rear derailleur'd bike as the double up front is a little overkill but whatever, never too young to teach them about cross-chaining. The front wheel was a little off out of the box, no biggie. For the money, this is a great step up out of coaster brake equipped single speeds. I'm thinking about getting her into some junior cat cyclocross races on this rig, probably get a set of knobbies for that and for light MTB use which I'm sure this will do great on. She loves it, I love it, I liked Diamondback bikes as a kid, probably not the same company anymore... Very happy with this purchase, it hits the sweet spot I was looking for, surprised how few choices there were that were similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars My eight year old loves it, April 28, 2013
Got this as an early present for her. It came easy to assemble and right on time. No damages. We put it together in 15 minutes. She rides it several times a week with no problems so far. I am happy with this purchase. Cheaper than bike shops and lighter than a mountain bike. It came with a piece that looks like a short bottle rack, but didnt fit anywhere. I haven yet to figure out where it goes. If you are looking to attach a bottle rack, there is no room, but I got her a handlebar bag and that works better for all her stuff. Its not really purple. More like a lavender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike, October 3, 2013
We were looking for a new bike for our 10 year old daughter who is very small. We wanted something that would fit her properly, be lightweight enough for her to handle, but also allow her to use it for many years. It came quickly after we ordered it, and it was easy for my husband to put together-he never follows directions, so I don't know how the instructions are. We and our daughter are pleased with the bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, August 30, 2013
I bought this bike for my 9 year old girl. It fits her perfectly and she loves it. I really like the quality at a great price! I would definitely buy this bike all over again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frame is nice, components OK, setup lousy, May 9, 2013
I highly recommend that if you purchase a bike from Amazon that you either be a mechanic yourself, or that you take the bike to a local bike store to have a complete setup performed. If Amazon is going to sell bicycles, they should have a third party set the bike up properly. The wheels were not true, and spoke tension was uneven. Most bearings are of poor quality, but typical of a bike of this quality, but again, in terms of setup, nothing was adjusted properly - either too tight or too loose. The limits on the derailleurs required adjusting, and the brakes needed full setup, as during shipping, the pads are turned vertical. The bike has V brakes, and each side of the V brake needed proper tensioning to work correctly. Anyhow, if any of this sounds intimidating, then pass on this bike for a slightly more expensive bike properly setup by a professional at your local bike shop. I am not a bike shop employee, and do most work myself, but this experience will have me shopping at my local bike store in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, January 8, 2014
Arrived Quickly; Great product. My daughter loves the bike! Easy to assemble and the gears were easy for my daughter to learn. I would recommend this bicycle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Street tires, January 3, 2014
Great bike, but I was expecting mountain bike tires...that was a dissappointment. Other then that it has completely met our expectations and we're very pleased with it...just go in knowing and so you won't be disappointed too!