I had written a long review about some issues I had with the bike. I said I would send in an update after I spoke to DB today.

Here is the quick recap of my first review:

1) DB could do a better job packaging by adding some sort of cushioning packaging material. May be the cause of the wheel issues below.
2) My front wheel was very untrue...
Published 23 months ago by Volker72

Published 22 months ago by WVUAVY

5.0 out of 5 stars A few bike issues, but DB coming through to get issues resolved!, October 5, 2012

Here is the quick recap of my first review:

2) My front wheel was very untrue
3) My back wheel was slightly untrue (to the point where if this had been the only issue I would have just lived with it)
4) I was shipped the wrong pedals (resin instead of the metal pedals spec'ed on the DB and Amazon website)

Update:

I just spoke to Jason at DB. He called a couple local dealers and got one to true up the wheels at no cost (to me anyway). I'm really happy about this. I was was hoping I wouldn't have to ship parts back and forth to get this issue resolved. I plan on taking it in this afternoon.

I noted to Jason that I got the wrong pedals. He said the specs are subject to change. I understand that, but the spec's then need to be changed on the websites (Amazon and DB). Don't downgrade a part and still spec out the previously better part. However, at the end of the day we are talking about me getting a $10 resin pedal over a $15 metal pedal, neither of which I really want. I've already ordered the DB sound pedal as an upgrade and I would have done so if I had gotten the pedal I was supposed to. I noted it more for the principal of the thing.

The bike is more assembled out of the box than I would have thought (I've never bought a bike online before). It was just about ready to go except the handlebars and front tire are removed and zip tied to the frame. After getting those on you just need to tune the breaks and the derailer and its ready to go. I've never done this before but it wasn't too bad. There are also how to videos online showing customers how to setup a mail order bike if needed (third party sites, not the DB site).

I really like this bike. It is much lighter than my 8 yr old Trek 4300, even with the bigger tires. I've not done any real riding with it yet (as I need to take the front tire in to get fixed first) but just riding it up and down the street I can tell like size size of the 29 in wheels. The reviews I read about the front suspension did turn out to be true, they give more than I'd like even if you tighten them all the way.

As long as it holds up this will be considered a great buy.

Happy Riding!

Update 10-8-12:

Went to the local DB dealer that DB customer service set me up with. They got the tire issue resolved and went above and beyond fine tuning it for me. Made me feel bad I did not buy from them, but to be fair I did look at their store and they did not carry the 22" size I wanted.

Updated 10-20-12:

Found that using a pair of pliers to tighten the front suspension has helped a lot. I thought I had tightened it all the way by hand, but after using a small amount of pressure using a pair of pliers it was not as close to being fully tightened as I thought. Much better now. Very similar to the way may Trek 4300 front suspension feels.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars HUGE BANG FOR THE $$$!!!!!!!!!!!, August 28, 2012
After reading reviews for weeks on all the 29ers out there, i decided to give the Diamondback Overdrive V a shot. I am new to mountain biking. That being said, this bike is amazing. It feels very powerful. The upsized 29" wheels feel like they can take anything you throw at them. Assembly is extremely easy. I also love that Diamondback uses the same frame throughout the Overdrive line, so the pro model has the same frame as the V. I also love that even though the V comes with cantilever brakes, it has the mounts for disc brakes giving the option to upgrade later. Really the only drawback is that Diamondbacks warranty DOES NOT COVER any bike delivered to your home in a carton. To me, that's just not right. But, all in all, this bike is an absolute STEAL for the price. My recommendation is that if you are looking for a beginner to novice 29er, this is the bike to get. You just can not beat the quality of a Diamondback for this price.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:48:12 AM PDT
Amanda says:
(MANUFACTURER)
My name is Amanda and I work for Diamondback Bicycles. We DO cover warranties on bikes delivered to a consumers home in a carton. Please note that a warranty is an item that has a manufacturer's defect only (this does not include incorrect assembly). If you have any questions on how to assemble your bike we do recommend taking it to a local bike shop for help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ginormous beast of a bike., May 31, 2013
I'm a big guy at 6'6 and 310lbs. I'd about given up on finding a bike that fits me and took a chance on the 22" frame Overdrive. This bike is gigantic is size, and everyone that's seen it are amazed. A guy I work with, couldn't even get on the bike without standing up on a 8" curb, Lol. The bike came almost completely assembled, just had to install the front wheel, handle bars, pedals and adjust brakes. I was missing the tool set that was supposed to come with it, but luckily had the tools to complete the assembly. I was a little concerned about damage because of other reviews I'd read. The box that it was shipped in, had no visible damage to it at all. To my surprise the only damage was a couple of scratches on the frame. I can live with the scratches, so I'm not complaining. The wheels were straight, and after assembly the gears seem to shift good without any adjustments to the derailleurs. My local Dicks Sporting goods bike mechanic said that he would assemble the bike and do the adjustments for free if I needed help, but I haven't had to take it to him, may take it there for the first tune up. The seat that comes with it is not very comfy, but I ordered the Planet Bikes Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle and quickly changed that out. I've also added a handlebar riser that adds 3" to the height, that makes a huge difference in the lean forward. If you're looking for a nice entry level mountain bike that won't break the bank, I recommend this bike. This is my first real bike since I was a teen, and I'm smiling ear to ear.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bike seems to be nice, beware of shipping damage and incorrect item description, November 27, 2012
This bike seems to be of high quality. However, the box that the bike is shipped in is inadequate, and that is being nice. The front tire is ziptied to the frame, metal on metal. This led to scratches on the frame of my bike. Additionally, there is no padding inside the box, so our front tire was bent. We were able to straighten the tire, but the scratches/dings are not fixable. In addition, the description of the bike says it comes with Alloy Forged Pedals. The pedals we received were made of cheap plastic. I chatted with an Amazon representative who told me my only option was returning the bike, despite the box being destroyed and waiting on a replacement. At this point, I would just like the correct pedals and I will chalk this up to a learning experience and will be more diligent in the thoroughness with which I read the reviews on items. Had I read all of the reviews, I would have seen many others having the same issue as me, both with the scratches, bent wheels, and incorrect pedals. I was contacted by a 2nd Amazon rep who was much more helpful. She is going to provide the correct pedals for me. In the end, no, I am not happy as this is unacceptable with purchasing new items. There clearly is an issue with the packaging, and I feel Amazon should provide feedback to Diamondback on this. Maybe they have, who knows. Regardless, I am unhappy about paying for a 'new' item and receiving it in such condition. My concern with receiving a replacement is I have 0 confidence I will receive a replacement in 'new' condition, given the reviews on packaging for this bike.

Buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real head turner, May 9, 2013
Iboga (Greeley, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamondback 2013 Overdrive V 29'er Mountain Bike with 29-Inch Wheels (Sports)
I bought this bike through amazon because for my price range it was one of the least expensive mountain bikes with some of the best reviews. I really liked the huge tires and the blacked out look, the decent price and reviews made it the best option for what I wanted in a bike.

It came in the mail fairly quick and assembly was pretty easy considering I am a beginner and it was my first build. It was missing the wrenches that are required to build the bike so i contacted Diamondback and they shipped them to me no problem in a couple days. Shifters required almost no tuning, very smooth the first ride and I immediately noticed the differences and improvements over my last mountain bike. I rode it to work my first ride and I could not believe the overwhelming response I got from my coworkers, everyone came over to look at it and touch it. Everyone said the same thing, "wow that thing is a beast, that look so awesome how much was that? you must have spent a lot!". To their surprise I hadn't spent a lot considering it is one of the cheaper mountain bikes, but man does it impress. I had gotten use to the bike from it sitting in my living room for a week while i waited for the wrenches, so I forgot how awesome and bad ass it looks. I was reminded basically by everyone that saw the bike, it really is impressive to say the least.

The only issue I have with the bike is the wheels came a bit bent, I noticed after installation when spinning them they wobbled a bit. I saw other reviews say the same, I think its the way they ship the bike because they intertwine a couple spokes through the peddles crank arm and during shipping im sure the weight of the frank banging around with the wheel attached and interlocked into the crank arm cause some damage. The wobble isn't ideal, but i don't notice it while riding and it seemed like to much of a pain to send it back. My suggestion is try to find the bike in store first to prevent getting a damaged wheel and scratches on the frame from shipping.

Overall this was a really great buy, i suggest this bike to anyone looking for a decent quality mountain bike that is going to impress others with its looks and you with its feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bike, November 17, 2012
Well built with light frame. Very comfortable ride easy to maneuver with 29" wheels. I love this bike it's an amazing bike for the money and I can't wait to take it on some offroad trails

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bike!!!, August 20, 2012
Got my 26" Schwinn mountain bike stolen and decided to go bigger. Well, bigger is better! My friends can't even keep up with me on the road with me using barely any effort at all. I can get to top speed and change the the gears very quickly! It is absolutely amazing. I would buy this one over and over again. After my friends tried this Diamandback with the 29" wheels, they are all convinced about upgrading there bikes. The components are great and the look is great. The only negative thing about the bike so far is the front forks are a little springy no matter how much i attempt to tighten them. I am 5'11, and I purchased the 20" version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Novice Bike!, August 26, 2012
Being that this is my first mountain bike, I didn't know what to expect. Starting off with assembly, it was very easy. Only had to assemble front tire, handlebars, brake cables and seat. It only took about 20 minutes. You should probably buy some lube to use before you ride it for the first time. The first day I cruised around the street it was amazing! The brakes were instantaneous and the pedaling felt great, and the shifting was extremely smooth. I didn't want to review it until I took it out on the trails for the first time. It handles very well and the suspension is solid and rolls over terrain quite easily. The only drawback I have is that the narrow paths is difficult because the tires are large but that's only a small problem that I found compared to the unbelievable riding that I have enjoyed so far on this bike. For the price, I strongly suggest buying this bike before the winter comes so you can thoroughly enjoy it as I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy..., December 5, 2012
AC (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
I decided to return to bicycling after years of running wore out my knees. I'm not in to long distance riding and I wanted something more versatile to handle ragged streets and rough terrain. I received this bike well packaged and without a scratch on the frame. The black paint has a nice satin finish and, with its black rims and spokes, it looks like a shadow floating down the road. It was only a matter of installing the front wheel, take note of the directional tread, and adjusting the brake pads. It came with a set of allen wrenches, which is all you need. The owner's manual can be somewhat confusing and vague but common sense should prevail. I'm 6'2", around 240lbs, and the large size was perfect. The bike's frame is very sturdy and has substantial weight. It took me a few rides to get accustomed to the gears but shifting was smooth and functional. All it takes is a quick click and gears switch. If you hold the shifter one second too long you'll switch multiple gears. The one thing I didn't expect was having to buy another pump, only about $15, to accomodate the presta valve. The bike looks classic and runs smooth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bike Crank arms not good., December 27, 2012
The bike is great to ride and goes over anything with ease but on the first ride the left pedal came loose and when I got back the inside where it was was completely stripped and now I'm on here to buy a replacement.SR Suntour Crank Arm 175mm Left Black

Rate and Discover Movies