4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Compared to Trek or Specialized
This bike was delivered Monday September 9, 2013. I took it to a local bike shop after I did the basic assembly for tuning and a once over-

I bought the large- I am 6'1' and I am a Big Guy- but I have relatively short legs- 31.5" inseam... I barely clear the top bar. If I could go back I would have ordered a medium.

Pros:
Lots of upgrades from...
Published 16 months ago by Mark D

3.0 out of 5 stars A good basic package worth every cent of the price. No bonuses but good.
So this bike is my first foray into 29ers and, at the price, it's good value.
The frame has a good, solid look to it, with a down-tube that begins as a squarish section at the head and graduates to an ovalised section at the bottom bracket. Chunky would be the best way to describe the arrangement. The rest of the frame build is pretty-much typical of larger, 29er...
Published on January 16, 2013 by Craig Blackstock

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Compared to Trek or Specialized, September 12, 2013
This review is from: Diamondback 2013 Overdrive Sport 29'er Mountain Bike with 29-Inch Wheels (Sports)

Pros:
Lots of upgrades from the other overdrive models
1. Hydraulic Brakes- Wow what difference in the response. Worth every penny
2. Adjustable front shock- what a great feature I didn't know I wanted.
3. Super light weight for the size.
4. Smooth crank action
5. Smooth Derailleur action
6. Good seating position
7. Price 549.00 - Competitive bikes run 700-1000 or more retail.
Cons:
1. Handle bars should have adjustable height/reach at this level
2. Size recommendations should include bar height.
3. What's up with the goofy valves that require an adapter to use my compressor or air pumps I already own.
4. Clearance for a water bottle on front tube is a bit limited. look for a rack that hangs low- or get a shorter bottle.
Additional Notes:
The bike comes equipped with aggressive off road tires. I plan to put some firmer road tires on to reduce rolling resistance.
The front brake caliper does not come attached- and is a 2 part piece. The installation instructions should be clearer, be aware the bracket is thicker on one end and the 2 bolts are different lengths. The longer bolt goes on the end of the bracket that is thicker.
My bike did not include an allen wrench to fit the cable bracket bolt for the front fork. Should have been part of the kit since you have to have it.

Overall:
I am new to "nicer" bikes, but to me this sure seems like a screaming deal when I shopped around. I had no preconceived brand impressions, and looked at Trek and Specialized- both are great brands, with solid bikes with similar features- for more money. Maybe someday I will ride a trek or specialized and become a believer, but for my 6-10 mile a few times a week ride over sidewalks and pavement this bike is sufficient for my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, easy assembly, July 1, 2013
I don't know if Diamondback has just made a big turn around since the other reviews were posted, but mine came with the derailers and shifters adjusted just right. Only had to install the handle bars and front brake. Seemed like easy stuff to me. put 120 miles on it the first 4 days. Only complaint is: I can't find out where to put the gas in or how to start it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice bike for the money, July 3, 2013
I posted some pictures of what I received and it will also show you how little work is needed to put together.The booklet is the basic one size fits all you get with most bikes.Inside the big box was the instructions for the hydraulic brakes (the shimano book),the only thing that is not covered somewhere in the main book.The fork on mine was the correct one and everything was the correct for 2013 specs.For the money the brakes and fork make it a great deal.The frame is nicely built but nothing special,you can find it on a cheaper bike but the rest of the add ons and as good as a bike that is twice the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter MTB at a great price, July 15, 2013
I had been bike shopping for a while and new that I wanted to get a 29er but didn't want to spend big bucks since I was just getting in to the sport. I had pretty much decided to get a Motobecane Fantom 29 Trail since that was right at my price point, but then I happened to see this one go on sale for a considerable amount off and the same price I was planning on spending on the Fantom. This bike has hydraulic disc brakes and a much better fork than the fantom, plus I was able to go to a loal Dick's and test out the frame feel. I decided it was well worth it and purchased from Amazon.

Shipping estimate was at first about a month, but I received a shipping notification 2 days after I place my order and the bike was at my door in less than a week. Product came nicely packaged, very well protected and no issues with anything being damaged in shipping. All the parts that were included were exactly as described here in the Amazon add and the Diamondback website, no prior-year parts which I had been worried about after reading some older reviews.

Assembly was mostly easy but a bit tricky in some spots. I don't understand why they have to send generic instructions that don't relate to the bike at all, might as well not have sent any. I made the mistake of putting the handlebars on first before the front tire, during which I tested the feel of the position of the brake levers and ended up squeezing the front disc calipers closed so I couldn't slide it over the brake. It took me a while to figure out that I just needed to push the pads back down with my fingers in order to slide it down over the brake wheel, but once I did that everything else went smooth. My biggest complaint is that I had to push the front brake assembly to the side while tightening it down otherwise it would rub on the side of the brake wheels as the tire turned, creating drake and am embarrassing noise.

Gear adjustment wasn't too bad. I checked out some youtube videos that did a nice job explaining how to adjust the front and rear shifters. TBH I didn't check the job that they did at the factory, just wanted to make sure it was good before I took it out he first time so I went ahead and adjusted. Overall I think I did a pretty good job but I checked around and a local bike shop only wants $35 to have them fine tune the shifting and braking so I think it's worth it for me to have them do it the first time.

The bike rides like a dream. I took it down some 4-wheeler trails that were chocked full of large tree roots and downed branches, the bike road over them with no problem and the fork was smooth as silk. Excellent traction in loose dirt and it rides well on the road for having such knobby off-road tires. I'm very pleased with my purchase and can't wait to go hit some longer and more challenging trails. Excellent entry level 29er, well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought two, one for me and one for my son, April 10, 2014
Arrival:
The first thing is that both were received in good shape, no crushed or otherwise damaged box. I opened and inspected the first and found everything in the box in good shape, nothing missing.

Assembly:
I assembled it without issue. It came with tools, however I would suggest tightening the pedals with a pedal wrench. I have ridden for years and have assembled a bike shop worth of tools. It went together without difficulty and to my surprise the derailleurs were adjusted correctly, no need to adjust tension or end of travel limit stops. Hydraulic brakes were firm as they should be. One issue though, both sets of wheel bearings needed adjustment as they were too tight which would have caused damage and premature failure if they had not been attended to. The felt like they were full of gravel (too tight), but I added additional grease, adjusted them, and they were smooth as glass. If you are not mechanically inclined I would have shop check it over.

First Impressions:
The components are not the most expensive or lightest, but they should competently do their job. Time will tell though. Otherwise it is nice looking bike and I think worth the price. Just needs a set of clip-less pedals, tool bag, and water bottle cage added and we will be good to go for a trip through the woods.

Sizing:
Be careful here. The 29" wheels and aggressively up sloping top tube make this taller than indicated in the chart. Maybe an inch or so, which can be precious clearance on a trail if you know what I mean. I returned the Large I purchased for me and am having a second Medium delivered.

Finally, the name on the post is Bonnie Jo. This is actually John Jo the head bicycle purchaser and repair guy in the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter, December 28, 2013
I was reluctant to pay more than a couple hundred bucks for a bike, but after making this purchase, I realize it was a mistake. There is no comparison to my last two bikes ($200/$250). The brakes are amazing, the shifting is smooth and the frame is light. The big 29'' tires are fantastic and noticeably more aggressive over the 26'' tires on my older box store bike. Don't waste your time on a cheaper bike, get this, you will be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er, October 31, 2013
This is the review for the Diamondback Overdrive Sport Mountain Bike with 29 inch wheels.

(I purchased the XL 22" Frame because I am 6'3" and 220 pounds.)

First off, this isn't a top of the line bike, but for the price, the specifications are much better than you would purchase at a local retailer.

The Good: The brakes perform very well in muddy and wet conditions, and even hold up very well to my large frame. I need a bike that have large rotors or I cannot brake properly and this bike performs very well.
The bike is lightweight. The frame and all the bike components weigh only 31 pounds, lighter than my old bike that was 26 inch wheels and a 18" frame.
The wheels and tires have held up well. I have been riding the bike since July and have had one flat tire, which is expected, as I ride a lot of dirt and over sharp rocks and such. The tires are an in between road and off-road tread. If you are using the bike for strictly trail I would recommend an upgrade.
Nice metal foot pedals support my weight nicely.

The Bad: (Actually more like mediocre, there really isn't anything bad with the bike)
I am not always 100 percent confident in the shifting. Shifting when at full power up hill is strictly a no no with this bike. I've had the chain slip and get binded into the cassette where your foot pedals are. Not a huge problem just had to stop and get the chain out.
The front fork. Fairly cheap although the lock out is a must if you are a heavier guy like myself. I never even bother to unlock the fork because if I do it's bagged out all the way the whole time. So for me it is pretty much no suspension which isn't all that bad.

Overall: Very good bike for the money. (I bought it when it was on for 499)
I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a bike that's better than the Walmart special.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great bike!!, September 12, 2013
This the best bike I've ever bought. It can handle anything and is very comfortable to ride. The bigger wheels are the way to go. I also went for the largest frame possible because I wanted a big bike. I love it! I would recommend this to anyone. But, I replaced my seat because I ride long distances on roads rather than mountain biking. I had to tweek the gears and brakes to get them just right. It now a five star after the seat replacement and tweeking. Get this bike!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike!, September 10, 2013
I am not by any means an expert, but the bike seems solid and well built.
I wanted to get something sturdy that can be ridden on non-paved places, as not every road is good enough for a road bike.
So far, only problem I had was a flat tire, which was easily patched/fixed, but for city commuting, I would suggest adding front/rear fenders for occasional puddles, and switching to hybrid/slick tires as when you ride fast enough it makes a LOUD whizzing sound like a motorcycle or a small car that attracts unwanted attention.
Other than that, I am a very satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars DB Sport proved the bike to be everything I wanted in a 29er, August 30, 2013
The bike was simple to assemble, although I was scratching my head on a few issues, being that the instructions were so generic,( i.e., like how to install my training wheels). First time assemblers need to use patience and good observation, as the bike was very well assembled and tuned right out of the box. After I tweaked the bike to my comfort level, the bike became a part of me. It fit great! The derailleurs were both already adjusted perfectly. I did need to make a minor adjustment after the cable stretched (normal) which will result in mis-engagement of the rear cog first. You may want to check the lock nut to the rear cog before riding - mine was so loose it came off in my fingers. Fortunately I had just purchased the specific tool for this as I intended to change out the rear cog to one with 34 teeth - $18 (instead of the 32t that comes with the bike). I am ever so glad I did this; the 29er would help take me beyond the MTB (26er), which I had before, but the extra 2 teeth got me up some Colorado rocky mountain paths without having to stop to rest as before. Going over 6" rocks on the ascent didn't stop me! The rear derailleur work flawlessly with this bigger cog, no adjustment necessary. I was also going to change out the outer chaninring to 44t but I was unable to max out my peddling on the down hill, as I too easily did on level ground with the (26era). As it is, with the bike's 42t, any faster could be too fast. The hydraulic brakes are a safe bet for the down hill. The bike's 2 day maiden voyage in the back country proved the bike to be everything I wanted in a 29er, without having to put out hundreds of bucks more. I was one of the fortunate ones who observed the price go up the day after I bought mine. If you're serious, don't hesitate. As indicated in other reviews, you don't always get the exact components listed (i.e.,rear cog was Shimano instead of Sram), but they all do the job. Seat and peddles, meh! Happy Trails!