4.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal
Published on February 27, 2010 by Shawn Elmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the money
Published on June 6, 2010 by Erieka Raber

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal, February 27, 2010
This review is from: Diamondback Sorrento Mountain Bike (2011 Model, 26-Inch Wheels) (Sports)
Quality bike for the price. Has just about everything you would look for in a mountain bike costing hundreds more. The pedals are plastic and need to be upgraded but overall a nice purchase. It comes about 90% assembled; you need to mount the quick release front tire, seat, handle bars and attach the brake cables; it took about 20 minutes. There are instructions in the owners manual and the tools needed to put it together.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the money, June 6, 2010
I bought this bike to go on adventures while in Vancouver Wa visiting. It climbs well. I am 6' tall 210 lb so a 20" frame was a good fit it has sram shifters which took some getting used to but work good. Good riding position and geometry, comfortable seat. Mine came with kenda tires which i will replace soon. only holds one bottle so i would suggest a camelbak. wheels have quick release and the bike is light enough for a fun day. I would recomend this bike to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamondback Sorrento, August 25, 2011
Nice bike with a great price. Thoroughly Exceeded expectations. Excellent build quality with great looks and durability. Putting the bike together was a snap. Just mount the front tire and install the pedals and you are done. Bike was packed well and arrived with no damages.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!, August 25, 2011
I bought this bike from a local sporting good store. It was a great price and the guys in the store seemed to be pro's and set the bike up for me. I am just getting into mountain biking and didn't want to spend a whole lot on my first bike and thought this would be a good starter. The derailleur's seemed to be quality, I reviewed them and saw that they got pretty good reviews, along with the breaks.
Now to the bad. On my first ride, I had not even gone a mile when the front tire blew out. I rolled it back to my house and took it back to the store. They were great and put a new tire on it, checked the shifting and everything was good. Got it back home, rode about another mile and was down shifting to when the chain flew off and got wrapped up in the crankset pretty bad. I pushed it back home and took it back to the store, where they were able to get the chain back on, adjusted the derailleur's and had me ride it around the store. It seemed to fixed. Got it back home and took off, this time I made it about 2 miles when the chain fell off and got wrapped up in the crankset again. This time when I took it back they offered me a new bike, but I by this time I had enough.
Maybe it was just a lemon I got, but just beware of this bike.
Oh and I was riding on the pavement when this happened not hardcore trail riding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Bike For The Money, August 1, 2011
A good bike for the price. Several parts (pedals, hand grips, front fork) can do with an upgrade, but the basic parts get the job done until you start hitting harder trails. I recommend changing the pedals first. For some I can see how the bike would seem like an under equipped buy, but I like the thought of project work and upgrading the frame. I'm sure I will buy a better bike in the future, but if you're looking for a bike to get you started on the trail, this bike will do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't abuse bikes., July 20, 2011
I am not an extreme mountain biker. This is as good as I can ask for to suit my purposes. It is great on the road and off the roads I have left. I have only had it for a couple of weeks and have been easy on it, and suspect it may be somewhat of an intermediate bike. Not sure though. It's very light and the tires seem like hybrid tires. I have no complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fair price for a good bike., July 14, 2011
KT (Los Feliz, Los Angeles CA) - See all my reviews
The shipping was an issue it was not very well packed and came scratched. Note to shipper, nothing a couple extra slivers of packing material would not have solved. I have had a couple of 10 mile rides around town. It's a good value compared to buying a used bike. The front fork is forgiving on rough pavement and jumping curbs. The Shifters are big and chunky and very effective. I did start right off by replacing the pedals. Be careful when you tread them. It's very easy to strip the threads on the cranks. The Breaks needed some adjustment. The cranks are small which is great for hill climbing but I could go for a bigger large crank for street riding. This is defiantly not a cross over platform. If you are not familiar with working on a bike it would be a good idea to get some help with the assembly. I agree with other reviews, the seat and grips are due for replacement, but then I would also suggest spending more on a bike and getting better parts to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike for the price, August 27, 2011
Overall a great bike.
Pros:
1. Strong frame, can take a beating. I am 220 Lb and take dives with it, no problem.
2. Relatively light, have no problem carrying up two flights of stairs.
3. Gearing in sync, no issues in low speed shifts.
4. This is a really cool looking bike. (don't pretend you don't care! What ? you just throw anything on when going out?)
5. Easy assembly - follow videos online (and make sure not to mess with the gearing! No, you do not know how to tune, it comes pre-tuned).

(Minor) Cons:

1. Seat position in the 18' might be a bit too tight, a sharper angel would have been an improvement. solved it by pulling the seat away from the handle bar as much as possible.
2. Not the best breaks, but do the job. (cannot expect disk breaks for this price).
3. I personally prefer aluminum handle-bars, this seems to be steel.
4. heavy front suspension: Bike is a bit "front heavy" specially when driven by a heavy guys as myself. this causes a bit of a problem jumping over obstacles. again it is very subtle and probably not an issue for most.
5. Front suspension is a bit rough, tuned for speed, unlike downhill bikes. which is a pro when hitting the trail and a con when taking a dive.

Conclusion:
If you are comparing this with an entry level Shwing or Mongoose, take this bike - no doubt, hands down. the Shwing and Mongooses in this price range are not nearly as good, I tried them all.
Rear suspension? unless you use the bike for downhill activity, Forget about it !!! it adds weight, slows you down by damping your pedaling and adds to the price of the bike. Off course if you have joint or back pain you have no choice.
Get a good pump which comes with a gauge. I got planet bike ($10, all others broke after one though ride) and it works great. No need for fancy pumps since MTB pressure. are no more than 40 psi due to high volume. If you do want to overkill, use Sarfis.

I have added front bars for fast driving and a rear Topeak Beam for cargo. For Locking I use a 4X9 Lock. NOTHING LARGER WILL FIR THE 18'' FRAME! (even this is a bit on the side).
[...]

Last word of general advice learned the hard way: In order to prevent knee and tendon damage make sure your knees are never under 90 degrees. that might mean riding a bit higher than you are used to. this will.

Enjoy the ride!

2.0 out of 5 stars 2011 DIAMONBACK SORRENTO... Some serious problems!, April 17, 2011
Firstly allow me to correct the information in the listing for this bike. The listing is for a DIAMONBACK SORRENTO 2011 bicycle, however the components indicated (read derailleur, etc.) were on the 2010 model and NOT the 2011. In particular the rear derailleur was changed from the SRAM in 2010 to the SHIMANO ALTUS on the 2011 SORRENTO. Please see the official DIAMONDBACK site for the correct 2011 component listing:

[...]

On to the review...

THE VERY BAD - On the first day out riding my SORRENTO on paved paths, the chain managed partially jump off the front chain ring, get jammed into the crank/frame, causing the rather cheap metal in the front chain ring to bend and become unrideable!!!! The bike was purchased from DICKS SPORTING GOODS and was adjusted correctly at purchase, all gears were functioning fine before the chain jumped the ring for no particular good reason. To clarify I was peddling on paved paths, no bumps, or jumps, and the incident occurred while peddling up a very gentle incline. To make matters even worse, DIAMONDBACK has chosen to go the "cheap" route and all front chain rings are RIVETED together!!!! this makes replacing the single front bent chain ring impossible without replacing the entire crank assembly. At the $300 price point, I can hardly say I was expecting the SORRENTO a disposable bike within the first 40 minutes of it's first ride!

Fortunately my local DICKS SPORTING GOODS examined the bike, concurred that this failure should not have happened, and gave me a new one. At this time I have not had the opportunity to test the new bike, but I suspect that there are some serious issues in the design and components overall. For a bike listed as being a "mountainbike", having a serious mechanical failure within minutes of it's first use on gentle paved paths makes me question it's advertised use. Any serious trail riding would likely destroy this bike immediately. If you're seriously considering purchasing the DIAMONDBACK SORRENTO 2011, I'd select a local retailer with a very liberal return policy.. you're likely to need it... Maybe even more than once. :(

Other components of questionable quality would be the front derailleur, the pedals (cheap plastic), and the fairly uncomfortable seat. While listed as a mountainbike, the front fork is weak and offers a mere 60mm of travel... acceptable for street/path, bun not for mountainbiking.

Another oddity is that the thumbshifters operate differently for the front and rear derailleurs. The control method for shifting to a higher number gear on the front, is completely the opposite of how the control works for the rear derailleur (the same thumbshifter LOWERS the gearing on the rear derailleur). If one looks closely "LOWER" and "HIGHER" are actually stamped on the plastic... I wouldn't recommend stopping to read this while riding down a trail. It definitely takes some getting used to, as I have not experienced this set-up on any other mountainbike (why?).

THE O.K. - At the $300 price point if you're mechanically inclined and didn't mind investing considerably more money to replace/repair many of the components then this might be an o.k. buy. The overall weight is fairly light, and I did note that the design puts the rider at more of an "upright" angle (some say more comfortable) than most mountainbikes.

Overall I regret this purchase, and if forced to buy another DIAMNONDBACK I'd likely select the RESPONSE which seems better constructed. There are better bikes to be had at a similar price point. You have been warned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid bike, January 16, 2012
Bike is definitely not the bike that I ordered. Its the older year model than the one in the picture but Im not too picky about it. It was easy to put together. All I had to do was attach handle bars, mount front wheel, set front brake pads, and air up tires. Its worth the money because its a solid bike. great on trails in mountains.