Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 7, 2011
Great book with very insightful essay by Judith Thurman and touching comments by Avedon made at Vreeland's memorial service. Some of the pictures of Vreeland at work and play are rare and really convey her spirit and love of life.

The fashion spreads edited by Vreeland were also fantastic but the layout of the fashion shoots from the Bazaar years could have been better--I really wanted to read the articles accompanying some of the Bazaar fashion spreads but the print was too small on several. Apart from this minor quibble, I loved this book and strongly recommend it to all Vreeland fans. The quality is excellent and the book conveys the enormous effort made by the author to gather as much of Vreeland's editorial work as possible in one volume. Well done.
on June 25, 2012
During a film festival earlier this year I saw the 'Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel' documentary and was so blown away that I ordered the book as soon as the lights came up.

Diana Vreeland was such a force of life that once you get a little taste you will definitely want to learn more about her life. This book is not only beautiful, but so full of life - just like Diana!

Lisa Immordino Vreeland, the author, also directed the film and I have to say the two go hand in hand. But until the film comes out on DVD I'm glad to have this wonderful coffee table book to hold me over.
on December 8, 2011
Diana Vreeland was a rare event like a comet, a irrepeatable phenomenon, which our master astronomer Lisa Immordino Vreeland explores and defines in this exciting book.

It is an astronomical task to follow on the tail of the infinite world of Diana Vreeland. Yet the author acutely follows her goal to build an energetic vision of this complex and often contradictory woman. The selected images and descriptions create tension and drama as one travels from page to page. The glitter is often contrasted by dark, almost frightening moments.

The velocity of Diana Vreeland's eye is well documented demonstrating how a real comet is always in the future. Her qualities continue to shine with brilliance and fascinate as does this excellent personal portrait of an extraordinary woman. I highly recommend "The Eye has to Travel" by Lisa Immordino Vreeland.
on January 17, 2013
A great book for the collector of fashion from the mid 20th century I wish there were more p0hotos that haven't been published previously, but perhaps they don't exist. In any case, worth owning for your collection of Diana Vreeland books.
on December 9, 2012
Growing up in the 60s, Diana Vreeland was a kind of household name in fashion. Her influence of style was far-reaching and impacted the entire fashion world. I was coming of age then and every image in this book crossed my path at some time, as I was fascinated by Vogue magazine, particularly in Vreeland's years as Fashion Editor. Its on my coffee table and I look at it often. Would have loved to have seen the movie recently made, but it showed only in Dallas, Texas and I live in Austin. Hoping it will go to HBO or Showtime sometime soon.
on December 18, 2012
This book really captures the allure and presence of Diana Vreeland. The book is really a companion piece to the documentary of the same name. It was a different time. Knowing a few people who work in the fashion world I can honestly say that they do not possess the flair and drama of Ms. Vreeland. She was her own invention and marvelous job she did of doing so.

See Funny Face and then put all three together. That film, the current documentary and this book and you cannot help but be full of admiration for the bravado of one of the great characters and figures of that period of fashion design and getting it out there.

Splendid!
on November 14, 2012
This book is beautiful and so interesting. The eye sure does travel over the great stories and
photos of Diana Vreeland's life and times and happily so. I highly recommend this beautiful
volume. I also recommend the film which was made from the book.
on August 29, 2013
...but not a fascinating book. Kind of boring with pictures of sparse landscapes and that's about it. Who wants to buy my copy?
on January 7, 2013
She was a fashion icon and this book gives Diana her just rewards. The illustrations are wonderful and the stories rich and developed. I am fascinated by her and all that she was, truly an artist! You will not be dissappointed by purchasing this hard cover, it delivers the goods!
on June 21, 2013
If you're looking for extensive biographical information, "Diana Vreeland", by Eleanor Dwight is a better choice. The Eye Has to Travel does feature wonderful reproductions of Vreeland's layouts from Harpers Bazaar and Vogue. I think I'd like the documentary better.