5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Reread This Book
I had read this book years ago and realized I actually had some confusions on it. I remember enjoying it, but to be honest couldn't remember the specifics in it -- or really what a person reading it for the first time would get out of it.

Published on March 11, 2010 by Betsy Poulin

1.0 out of 5 stars There are easier books on the same subject
Published on March 11, 2010 by Rob Writer

5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Reread This Book, March 11, 2010
Betsy Poulin (Lawton, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)

First, I decided to take the advice of the author and actually make sure I understood the words he used. Mr. Hubbard's vocabulary is much larger than mine! But,they're all readily available in a good dictionary. And so I started my venture back into this adventure.

Yes, this time I understood it much better! I'd attribute that increased understanding to two things --- actually understanding the words (as above) and also the fact that I have read other related material. This book is a beginning. It gives the basics upon which a much broader, yet simpler, technology is derived.

But overall the thing that really struck me is -- something can be done about it! About what? About how you can help a miserable person be happy and productive. About how you can actually get rid of psychosomatic ills. About how you can actually (and without drugs....another subject in itself) handle "depression". You'd think people would be all over this science rather than continuing to wonder what to do about the ills you see around you. I do know that taking a pill isn't the answer -- and I truly believe most of us do believe that. Yes, I think highly of people and agree totally that man is basically good and, given the chance can all become very productive, happy individuals who can and do attain their dreams.

The thing is -- this, along with other books on the subject have the answer. And the cool thing? The author himself tells you not to just "believe" the data. He encourages you to actually USE the data and see for yourself. Nothing is true unless it's true for you.

So - I'm very happy I reread the book. Now I'm going to use it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought this book was great., March 2, 2010
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)
I have read the book and thought it was compelling and thought provoking. I think it is worth reading. By the way, it is very well-written, and it raised my respect for the author.

I think you can use the information in the book in everyday life to understand people better, and be able to forgive them more easily when you follow the train of thought and theory about how people do what they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I read this 10 years ago??, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)
I've heard, read and studied a lot about the mind, how it works,
and why it plagues us with negativity from time to time.
The information in this book made sense of it all.
It's easy to read and boils it down to undeniable terms that anyone can understand and benefit from so doing.

It explains the otherwise unexplainable and I can't believe this information is not common place the author so obviously hits the nail on the head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dianetics: The Original Thesis, May 12, 2008
Victoria Hart (Palm Coast, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Wanting to know the history and begining of scientology, I was directed to this audiobook. I found it very intreging and and easy to follow, The paperback book that accompanies it has all of the terminology and definitions. I would recommend it to all.

1.0 out of 5 stars There are easier books on the same subject, March 11, 2010
Rob Writer "Book Junkie" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)
This was not the first book I read by L Ron Hubbard, but when I did read it, it went over my head a bit. Then I read some other books by Hubbard and found them much more accessible for me. This book seems to be what the title states: the original thesis and it was later that the subject was more elaborated on. So I would not recommend this book as a first read, rather something like Dianetics, The Modern Science of Mental Health or even Scientology, A New Slant on Life. Both were much more accessible for me and gave me a very good understanding of the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIANETICS: THE ORIGINAL THESIS, March 11, 2010
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)
This is an incredible book! Find out what started it all right here in this book.

You'll discover the anatomy of the Reactive Mind.

You'll learn about the Primary Axioms of Dianetics. These are axioms upon which the entire subject is built.

Learn about the Dynamics of life which determine one's survival potential.

Find out about the single source of all irrational behavior.

And MUCH MORE!!!

Buy this book and learn about the fundamental breakthroughs of L.Ron Hubbard!

5.0 out of 5 stars Find out how it all started any may you never be the same, January 30, 1997
By A Customer
This is the first book written on this subject, (Dianetics) written almost 50 years ago. It's put forth in a manner that is easy to understand and will give you an understanding of why people continue to use this information to improve their lives and why this subject continues to grow in popularity

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)
This book completely changed my life. Such a simple thesis that led to a lifelong search for the truth...what a fantastic beginning! I definitely recommend that everyone grab a copy of this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners. should be called, "Dianetics: the unedited first rough draft", December 2, 2010
jeff s (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)
it's only around 150pp so you might think this little book will be a quick way into dianetics. but as i attempt to read carefully, i found it punishing work. "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health" contains many more pages, but explains the same principles clearly and without the problems of The Original Thesis.

as the book's introduction states, this was originally a first rough draft or working paper, and underwent little to no editing. thus, it has many errors which were cleared up in the later/larger book.

i would not recommend this book to a beginner in dianetics, because of several problems. the book is very unclear. LRH coins his own new terms without defining them. he also coins his own use/meaning for previously existing English words. for both types, the reader will a) not know what they mean but also b) not be able to look them up in any standard dictionary. this makes the book very VERY hard going for a first timer into the field. ironically, the book's obfuscation of the topic undermines its very purpose: illumination for all.

also the book contains spelling errors and the chapters are poorly organized and tend to wander, lacking cohesion. besides all this there is a lot of repetition. like i say: it badly needs editing, and LRH most likely knew it, which -- as alluded to in the introduction -- is probably why he resisted for so long its publication.

HOWEVER, it may be of interest to Scientologists (whether in the Church of Scientology or in the FreeZone) who ALREADY have a working knowledge of these concepts and can thus "fill in the gaps" in LRH's writing here. for these people, it may be interesting to go back and read what must be considered a "rough draft" or at best an early working paper.

for beginners i would start with Hubbard's "Self Analysis" or maybe "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health". on that 2nd book, i'd recommend an early (pre 1980's) copy, so you get LRH's original writing, unaltered by the later CofS.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FASCINATING BOOK!, April 8, 2010
This review is from: Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) (Paperback)
I was amazed to realize that this book was written over 50 years ago!

Copies of Mr. Hubbard's manuscript had been copied and copied and copied - and was in the hands of hundreds of people before it was even published.

It grew in popularity over the years, and is still in use today as the technology is as true today as it was 50 years ago.

Some of the words were new to me, but there's a simple glossary at the back that I found very helpful. Mr. Hubbard explained in another of his books ("Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health") how some things have to have their own word to define them exactly so that they are not confused with other, similar things.

I hope you buy this book and enjoy it as I did.

This subject opens doors and possibilities where I thought none existed before.

Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English)
Dianetics: The Original Thesis (English) by L. Ron Hubbard (Paperback - November 1, 2007)
$15.00 $13.11