Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Diary of a Goose Girl (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon August 14, 2010
Although the author often wrote for children, this one is for adults.

The fictional diarist has run off to a little country town, to get away from people and refresh herself. It starts out charmingly, but once she settles down to stay at a farmhouse, her comments about the country people and even the animals started to annoy me. I'm sure it was supposed to be humorous, and apparently it was in 1902. I've managed to find one review online that called it "sprightly." Another one says this author cannot write a dull page, and sees the book as full of satire on then-current social issues. For example, she satirizes the concept of the New Woman by calling an animal that refused to raise young as a New Hen or whatever (the exact animal escapes me). However, reading it in 2010, and probably not getting all of what she was satirizing in 1902, a lot of it just sounded like an upper-class woman making condescending remarks about country people. And roosters. I happen to like roosters. Anyway, I was hoping to find a pleasant, bucolic story, but this wasn't it.
on November 16, 2010
I really enjoyed this pastoral tale of a girl seeking refuge from suitors and family settling into life on a farm. Though she is a paying guest, she soon integrates into the household and begins shepherding the geese. The book is mostly a series of mini-stories about her adventures, each chapter is almost self-contained.

I think it describes the countryside very nicely and I found most of the narrator's observations to be funny. I don't think that she mocks the animals, she at one point questions how she can eat a duckling or hen that she's raised from a baby. It's definitely not written about 2010 and many of the events are fairly unlikely now, but the simple life that she describes sounds nice.
on September 28, 2013
Kinda boring......:(( More details preferred by myself. But I would like love stories so I gave it three stars and that's what I think!:))
on May 10, 2015
Delightfully and charmingly funny (especially if you happen to have taken care of chickens some time in your life!)