4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but not perfect
Published 20 days ago by GinaA

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money
Let me start by saying that I am a fan of Ms RIvers. THerefore it pains me to write this review. The language is vulgar and humorless. The book has nothing to offer except nonsense and bad language. Sorry Joan I know you can do better. Unfortunately I would not recommend this book to anyone.
Published 24 days ago by marcias1

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but not perfect, July 7, 2014
I'm a big fan of Joan, I even saw her live this past fall and she was great. Nothing in the book offended me, but she never does. I took a star off, however because while there were a lot of funny lines, there were too many. The pacing of a comedy show and Fashion Police are faster than books so outlets like that are better for line after line. I felt at times she was trying too hard to make so many "one liners/punch lines." Telling some funny stories about LA life or something would have been better along the way instead of going for the quick shot at some celebrity. Some of the topics she had touched upon in other books and would go back too, such as Anne Frank and I found myself thinking "move on"; again nothing offended me, but I felt like some points had been already made and she was just over doing it/running some jokes into the ground.

I can't believe I forgot to add my favorite part! In the very beginning she dedicates the book to Kanye West using his statement about not being into reading because books/novels "be wordy", so from the start you know it's going to be good. But it could have been better and it should have been because I expect more from the talent she has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Rivers is the Great Grandma of comedy, July 12, 2014
Joan Rivers is the Great Grandma of comedy. She is still at the top other game. The jokes come fast and furious and no one is spared.
You have to love her……she is still outrageous. Her jokes about everyone from The Trashdashians to Ann Frank leave the earth scorched in her wake. The biggest potty mouth in showbiz and I loved every minute of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Rivers is hilarious in this politically incorrect book, July 12, 2014
This review is from: Diary of a Mad Diva (Hardcover)
I have always enjoyed watching Joan Rivers on television and liked her brand of comedy. She is one of the outstanding standup comedians of our time. She is politically incorrect and jabs at anyone who deserved to be made fun of. In this book she pokes at about 135 celebrities that include Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's lavish wedding; Lena Dunham's fondness for flashing; Gwyneth Paltrow's irritability and Anne Hathaway's teeth.

Once she was asked if she ever thought that the United States will see the first gay president or the first woman president. She replied, "We already have it with Obama, so let's just calm down." Rivers has been criticized on numerous occasions for making jokes that are insensitive. She was criticized for making jokes about singer Adele's weight. Following the birth of Adele's son in 2012, Rivers said "Congratulations to Adele on the birth of her 68 pound 8 ounces bouncing baby boy." Rivers jokes about women like Miley Cyrus is very funny. It is a lot fun to read this book and if you like Joan Rivers, you would love this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diva Comedy: Laughter With Joan Rivers....., July 14, 2014
Its better to be absolutely ridiculous then absolutely boring..... ~ Marilyn Monroe
Laughter is the closest thing to the grace of God..... ~ Karl Barth
Joan River's has often been called the "Queen of Comedy", and she stays true to her wickedly hilarious form in her delightful new book: "Diary of a Mad Diva".

When JR's daughter Melissa gave her a diary for a Christmas gift, she could only think of was Anne Frank, which Joan couldn't emulate in the slightest bit. Each entry begins with "Dear Diary", JR covers all topics from pop/celebrity culture, travel, vacationing from Los Angeles, New York, trips to Mexico, many religious faiths, current events, and a favorite: the LGBT community! It was also surprising how much JR disliked "Flo" of the Progressive Insurance Co. JR commented she hoped Flo would be run over by an uninsured driver!

At over 80 years of age, JR is still on top of her game. Not hesitating to chastise 79 year olds to "respect" their elders, she confesses an affair with FDR, a "rough rider", and claims everyone knew she and Abe Lincoln were an item as well! Although she readily admitted the "Dead Sea" was named after her sex life.

In writing of her decision to become "Reverend Joan" through the non-denominational Universal Life Church she performed a ceremony uniting her good friends Lenny and Denny in marriage. Chaz Bono now identifies as a transgender man, JR perplexed; wondered what would happen if she identified as a "coffee table"? Considering a lesbian cruise, JR wasn't sure about those finding Antonin Scalia, Martina Navratilova, and 3/4" drill bits funny.

I loved this immensely entertaining funny book! On a more serious level, I'd also like to mention JR's (1997) inspirational bestselling book; "Bouncing Back". JR discusses cancellation of her TV show, bankruptcy, scandal, and heartbreak in widowhood following the tragic suicide death of her beloved husband Edgar. JR exemplifies a celebrity life well lived, and that her gift of laughter/comedy remains the best medicine, always.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Joanie Is Back", July 13, 2014
Terrance Richard "Terry Richard" (Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Diary of a Mad Diva (Hardcover)
Known for her stand up act and for being one of the world's greatest female comics, at 81 years of age Joan Rivers continues to make people laugh in more ways than one. Known for her stand up act as one of the world's greatest female comediennes, Joan is also known for her work as an author ("Enter Talking"). In her new book, "Diary of a Mad Diva", Rivers writes about her daily life in the form of a diary. In the "diary" one soon realizes Joan is like everyone else in the world, with problems and issues, but she tackles these topics with a great and funny sense of humor. Take the book for what it is: it's to make you laugh and I enjoy nothing better than a good laugh!

"Diary of a Mad Diva" was an instant hit upon release debuting at #7 at the "New York Times" best sellers list

5.0 out of 5 stars she is one of the great writers and comedians of our times, July 7, 2014
I do not understand what many of the readers expected when they bought this book. Joan as always been know to push the boundaries of comedy. And in the Diary of a mad Diva, she does it with gusto. As far as I am concern, she is one of the great writers and comedians of our times. For me, humor is humor, and there is not such thing as going too far.
Well done Joan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love me some Joan!, July 11, 2014
This review is from: Diary of a Mad Diva (Hardcover)
I certainly can appreciate that Joan River's brand of humor is not for everyone. That's why there are so many great, diverse comics out there. Someone for everyone. That said, I love Joan. I've loved her for decades. I love comics with no filters, no apologies, no beating around the bush. Aside from the wonderful 92 year old Betty White, there are not too many senior citizens who can make me laugh out loud...literally.

In her latest book, Joan rants and raves, boos and hisses, calls out those who deserve it and doesn't hesitate to announce it out loud when the Emperor is Butt Naked. She's crude, obnoxious, crazy and funnier than ever....IF YOU LIKE HER BRAND OF HUMOR. If not, do not read this book. It's a free country and the last time I checked there was still a lot of PG rated James Patterson books out there. So settle down. There's something for everyone here. Welcome to America.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny but mean, July 15, 2014
Funny but mean

Joan Rivers is a funny woman, mean but funny. I only gave this four stars because Joan went too far, too many times. She wrote some things that just were mean, not funny. Nobody hits the target every time, and when comic try to hard, they bomb. Some of these entries bomb.

If you enjoy sitting around laughing with a funny mean friend, you'll like this book. Joan Rivers started her career in a male dominated field. She honed her craft and took some nasty hits. I'm inclined to cut her some slack for that.

If you don't like brash, hard edged Jewish women, don't buy the book. If you want a laugh, and are ready for the meanness buy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably fabulous and incredibly funny!!!!!, July 18, 2014
This book had me laughing out loud - on the bus, in the park - I though people would think me nuts! Joan Rivers is the funniest comedian out there. I've recommended this book to EVERYONE I know, who needs a "pick me up." Written in diary form, it's easy to "dip in and out of," perfect for even just 15 minute laugh. If you already LOVE Joan Rivers (as I always have), you will not be disappointed. And if your unfamiliar with her - where have you been? You too will LOVE this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is so funny, you won't stop laughing!, July 1, 2014
This review is from: Diary of a Mad Diva (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely hilarious. If you so happen to be a Joan Rivers' fan, you'll most likely enjoy this book, and I recommend it to you. She does her usual roasting style of comedy in the book, which is what I love about it. And there is no one else that roasts people like Joan. She holds nothing back, but that's what makes it so great. The book isn't technically separated into chapters, it's separated into months. And within each month, she labels what the date is, and talks about her day. I mentioned the layout, because I like it. It's written like a real diary would be written.

If I had to compare 'Diary of a Mad Diva' to her previously released book, 'I hate everyone... Starting with me' (which I also love and recommend to other Rivers' fans), I would say this new one is just about as funny as 'I hate everyone...'

In conclusion, this is a wonderful and very enjoyable comedy book. If you like harsh and offensive humor, this is definitely your kind of book.

P.S. I think it's safe to say, based on what Joan says about Anne Frank, I don't think they would have gotten along very well. lol

Diary of a Mad Diva
Diary of a Mad Diva by Joan Rivers (Hardcover - July 1, 2014)
$26.95 $19.63