Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on August 13, 2012
I have not read these books, but 2 of my 3 kids have (all elementary school age) and they wanted to see this movie. We've seen the other two movies, but I think this was the most entertaining of the three, for both kids and adults. It's summer in this one, the kids are therefore home from school, and more of the drama is family-based than school-based. Greg and his Dad are at odds - Greg wants to play video games all summer, and his Dad wants him to get outdoors. Both think they have little in common, and Greg ends up deceiving his family about a summer job in order to get his Dad off his back. Of course everything comes out in the end, and he learns valuable lessons about honesty, and both he and his Dad learn lessons about acceptance and loyalty. There are MANY laugh-out-loud scenes, including one involving their new dog and a pot roast, another when Greg's older brother Rodrick (who almost steals the movie) is saved from drowning in the pool, and more when Greg and his best friend Rowley ride the 'Cranium Buster' at the boardwalk. All three of my kids enjoyed this movie from start to finish, and I'd highly recommend!
0Comment27 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2012
This was fun! I wasn't expecting it.

This was not movie I would choose to go watch.

We only went to see it, because the kids wanted to go to a movie, and this was the only one that was showing that they could go to (all other kids movies that were showing, we had already seen). This was the only one left, for us to go see, at the local theater.

I'm glad it was, and that the kids pressed on.
For me, it was refreshing, for once to watch a great non-animated kids movie. I (and the rest of the family) love animations. Disney/Pixar, DreamWorks etc. So Dairy of a Wimpy Kid, would not be something we would normally go for.

I have to say, I liked it very much. Lots of laughs. Mom, and the kids (7 and 12) liked it too.
Every now and then, I was looking to my right, just to watch our 7 year old luaghing out loud. He had a great time! So did his older sister.
33 comments41 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2013
Greg changed so much in this. He used to be all selfish and rude. But now he's so much more mature. They really made him look older in this too.
My eight-year-old daughter has been devouring the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series of books in the past couple of weeks, and we've been watching the movies together. We enjoyed the first two and managed to get Dog Days, the third in the movie franchise from our public library. I have to admit that even I enjoyed it, just about as much as my daughter did!

The third film follows our beloved wimp, Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon) throughout his summer vacation. Greg's dad, Frank (Steve Zahn) thinks Greg needs to spend less time playing video games and more times outdoors, which Greg considers a disastrous proposition. Greg tries various evasive tactics before finally settling on the most reliable, accepting his best friend Rowley's (Robert Capron) invitations to the local country club, which is members only. This also provides Greg the golden opportunity of getting closer to popular girl Holly (Peyton List). When Frank announces that Greg can come work at his company as an unpaid intern for the summer, the desperate Greg lies that he has got a job at the country club. Of course, older brother, the pesky Rodrick (Devon Bostick) sniffs out the truth and blackmails Greg, forcing Greg to sneak Rodrick into the country club each time he goes there with Rowley.

This third installment provides lots of laughter. Though some of the comical situations might seem contrived, they work, and the funny dialogue as well as the excellent acting by the ensemble cast create lots of comedic moments that had me and my daughter laughing out loud throughout the movie. There's one particular scene involving Greg, a little girl, and a diving board that is just too funny, and many more.

The movie also has its poignant moments. Greg and his dad seem to be very different people and just can't seem to find common ground, and the situations in which they are thrown together often result in disaster, but through it all, Frank Heffley bears with his rascal of a son and the resolution is satisfactory to all. This is great family fun and clean too, which is so hard to come by in so-called family entertainment these days. My daughter and I can't wait for the rest of the movies in this series.
on August 14, 2012
Go ahead, call me immature (though I prefer young at heart), but I really did enjoy this movie.

School is out and there are 73 days of summer vacation. Greg Heffley imagines the days ahead to be filled with video games in the family living room. Unfortunately for Greg, his parents have other ideas, urging him to play outside, read literature, and get a summer internship. That's when Greg has an idea . . . if he tells his parents that he got a job at the local country club, he can spend his days at the country club pool (where the girl he likes, Holly, spends her time) AND make his parents happy. What could possibly go wrong?

Hilarity ensues and, in the end, Greg must pay the consequences for his deception (which I appreciate because I may be immature, but I am still a parent).

This is a fun film!
0Comment21 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2013
My daughter just turned 10 and has been a big fan of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. She tears through them and they are qualifying books in my daughters reading program at school so she earns points for each one she finishes.

She has started going to the library but brings home books that have nice titles or covers but are a chore to read through. This is one she enjoys, gets class credit for, and looks forward to reading.

Great series great book.
on December 28, 2012
I try very hard to spend time with my son who is currentty nine years old, and often that is in the form of just being together while watching movies. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series of movies, and especially this one, is very well done. Its silly and funny but offers some real life lessons. It is a fresh breath of air when compared to so much of the garbage kid shows on cable TV. Unlike so many movies targeted at my son's agegroup, this one is of high quality, including story line, production quality, acting and comedic value. Our whole family couldn't help but laugh out loud together, which in my opinion is a healthy tning for a family to do. Highly recommended movie, and series.
on March 22, 2013
This is third installment of the Wimpy Kid movies based on the book by Jeff Kinney. The movie carries on Greg Heffley's adventures and I was glad to see a returning cast of lovable characters. It is funny, delightful and well enjoyed by the entire family.
on January 21, 2013
This is my ten year old son's favorite book, and movie series. I'm too old to understand. I guess my Marine brain automatically rejects anything with "wimp" in it. However, if my son will read it, I can use it to encourage him to expand his range...
on November 12, 2013
My son absolutely loves these movies to bad there are not a bunch more. I am not a fan of cartoons so it is really nice to watch something with him that I also can enjoy.