4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the occasional underwater shooter
Published on January 8, 2009 by Gary Jean

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Worth It
Overall I was happy with this purchase, as it was a good price for what you are getting. I was happy with the good shots I got underwater and it absolutely protected my camera from the water and other elements. The furthest I went down was 10 feet and I used the casing about 4 times in total during a snorkeling trip.

A few drawbacks to this product were:...
Published on October 12, 2008 by Joe

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the occasional underwater shooter, January 8, 2009
Gary Jean (Myakka City, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dicapac USA Inc. WP-S10 Waterproof Case for Compact Digital Cameras (Dark Brown) (Electronics)
This case was a birthday gift and I must admit to some trepidation when submerging a Canon 5D body and 24-105 lens for the first time. Of course, the instructions advise testing the case first, which I did in the bathtub. It was bone dry inside, so I took the plunge with my camera inside. Here are my first underwater shots taken while snorkeling in the Crystal River of Florida: [...]

I set the camera up for "dummy mode" so that I wouldn't have to fiddle with controls. The shutter release was easy to operate. I could not get the zoom ring to turn, but it didn't really matter because wide angle was best for underwater shots anyway. A zoom lens left at wide angle, or a wide angle prime lens would be best.

The case seals at two points. A UV coated polycarbonate lens screws on to the case over the camera lens. At the top, you seal the case like a zip-lock baggie, then fold a flap over several times like a dry bag. This seals with velcro. Finally, a large velcro flap folds over the smaller flap. I would say that the case is more likely to leak from a puncture than from the seals.

It was difficult to see through the viewfinder with a dive mask on, so I mainly just pointed the camera at my subjects. Another reason why wide angle is the way to go.

I had no issues with the lens fogging, but some small packs of silica gel in the case to absorb humidity might be worth a try.

I think this case works about as well as one could hope at this low price point. I will test it before every use. Long term durability remains to be seen, but it seems as well made as any dry bag.

A separate flash would be nice, but that would require a big bucks case. In clear water, plenty of light transmits to the 10 feet depth I was shooting in.

In addition to underwater shooting, I will use this case to protect my camera while shooting from my kayak in rough water conditions. Of course, you could also use it in the rain. The downside is very limited ability to set your camera controls.

Overall, I can recommend this case for the person who only wants to shoot under water occasionally and who can't justify the expense of a dedicated hard case. I have no experience with waterproof point and shoot cameras, so that might also be a way to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Worth It, October 12, 2008

A few drawbacks to this product were:
-Too dificult to use a zoom lens underwater. There are holes for your fingers to rotate the lens but it is too hard to do while you are underwater and even if you zoom out the pressure seems to always push the lens back to its lowest zoom. I was using a 70-300mm lens.
-If you plan to use flash underwater you really have to figure out the right amount of air in the bag and where the flash will have room to actually get light out of the bag. Its tricky.
-Nothing mentions it in any manual, but it is a good idea to use an antifog spray for the housing's UV filter. It will get fogged up imediately without it.

I do absolutely recommend this product if you don't want to spend the money to get a custom housing or more expensive one. It definitely does the job. And I do like that you can always unscrew the housing's filter if you quickly want to get a clean shot before going back in the water.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., September 2, 2008
Bart Willems (Elmwood Park, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
Hard shell cases cost thousands of dollars but give you full control. This bag is a little more than a Benjamin, and gives you almost no control over the camera.
It is hard to look through the viewfinder and virtually impossible to change any settings. So you'll have to set the camera to P-mode (or "automatic") and hope for the best. Even then you'll have to press the glass window against the lens to prevent vignetting. Dicapac is suggesting the existence of lens adapter rings (which would fix the position of the glass window against the front element) but I have not seen those yet.

So, despite all the shortcomings, four stars? Yes, because for a very small amount this bag WILL allow you to use your SLR under water. Although rated for something like 20' I would not try it out that deep, but I felt perfectly safe using it in a pool. Once the sealing is properly closed the camera is perfectly safe and I sense that the recommendation in the manual to test the bag in a bathtub (with a tissue inside the bag instead of a camera) is more to test the user's ability to close the bag properly (it is a bit tricky) than anything else.

Do not expect a perfect product - you will start to appreciate the specialized hard shells when using this. But it is still a great opportunity to use an SLR under water and for that I think it offers great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars DiCAPac review, June 14, 2010
Considering that a "real" underwater housing for my DSLR costs about $1,300 (which is about what my camera cost), this turned out to be the only real option if I wanted to take pictures underwater with my camera. And since underwater photography is not my profession, buying a real houseing is NOT going to happen anytime soon.
I purchased the DiCAPac WPS10 for our vacation to Maui this past May (2010) and I honestly have to say that being able to take pictures underwater was one of the funnest things that I did on our vacation! The pictures came out exceptionally well. I was somewhat surprised. And the "case" worked great (you will have adjust your expectations). I had no problems at all with the "case" sealing. The company stresses to make sure and test it before putting your expensive DSLR into it and taking it underwater and I would heed their advice. The "ziplock" type primary seal does not seem very good... at all. However, you roll the bag around the seal about four or five times and then use a velcro flap that keeps the rolled seal in place. Then there is another flap that secures this. With all that and being very careful I never had the slightest leak. But I still felt I was taking my cameras life into my hands. If the primary seal seemed a little better, it would give me more confidence.
They market it as a "case". In all honesty it's a bag. This model, WPS10, is supposed to be big enough to fit various models of cameras. And considering how big it is, I'm sure that it has no problem fitting a full frame DSLR. So for my Nikon D90, it was rather big. But I was able to make it work.
The biggest drawback for the product is that it is a bag. It has no rigid support and my camera kinda flopped around some. The bag has three sleeves where you can place your fingers to operate the shutter button and adjust the focal length/focus on your lens. The two for adjusting the lens are for the most part useless. There is no room inside the lens sleeve to move you fingers and be able to adjust the lens. So I just set the lens to the widest aperature and set the camera to auto focus. Again, because it's a plastic bag you won't be able to see clearly enough through the clear plastic to use your view finder or the screen in live view mode (even with a mask or goggles). I just aimed in the general direction and hoped for the best. I was not dissapointed at all with what I was able to capture. The video we took under water also came out great. You even get the under water sound pretty clearly.
One tip on getting no leaks I can pass on is to make sure that you get as much of the air out of the bag that you can. The deeper you go with it, the increasing water pressure will want to squeeze the bag and try to push the air out. If the air does get pushed out, that means the seal had to be broken and I can imagine you WILL get water in the bag. After I put the camera in, and sealed it, I would remove the clear lens on the bag and squeeze the bag around the camera as tightly as I could and then place the lens back on the bag. I could tell this helped a lot, especially as I went deeper with the camera.
For $90 and a working camera in the end, I was rather pleased. The only reason I didn't give the product 5 stars was because of the camera functionality you lose (they advertise you being able to adjust your lens). So for the price, compared to a real underwater hard case, it was a good buy. Just adjust your expectaions down a little (if you thought you could use your camera the same outside the water) and you might not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative for the occasional underwater shooter, April 19, 2011
I wanted to put my two cents in, because I carefully read all the reviews and ordered the product, with a little trepidation. First off, I live in Hawaii. I do other types of photography, and water photography isn't really my passion, but something I wanted to try. I have three SLRs, (canon Xsi, 50d, and Mark II) and one of the drawbacks to the sturdier hard waterproof cases is that they are really specific to a camera and lens setup. I like that I can stick any of my SLRs in the soft case.

First off, biggest concern, safety and leakage. I'm not going to say I'm not nervous when I get in the water. My Mark II has yet to go in there. But, if you are really careful I think you can minimize the risk. I think if you just take your time with the ziplock closure and velcro adhered rolling you should be good, don't rush this important step. I also don't submerge the whole thing much, I like to shoot near the surface. Not sure how I would feel about diving with this thing, but I'm sure it is probably fine for shallow depths.

Drawbacks! You can't stick a polarizer on your lens. I did that on the first shoot, it "sees" the UV coating on the included lens cap and makes a rainbow effect on your photos. The thing advertises the fact that you can fit a variety of sized lenses in the pack, however it is really hard to fold the lens back to fit tight against a shorter, or wider lens. I managed to finally get it folded smaller, but it pops out easily. I am thinking about adding some kind of tape or bungee to hold the lens cap tight against my lens so i'm not photographing the inside of the diCAPac.

The little finger control sleeve is great. I shoot aperture priority, and can access my little wheel to change the aperture on a whim. Manual would be good, but there's too much fiddling and it is a little hard to mess around too much in the water.

One last issue, and how I fixed it. Because this pack fits a variety of SLRs, it will likely be a little too big and your camera bumps around in there. I made a very ghetto fix. I used left over Styrofoam, cut it to appropriate sized bits, and stuck in on both sides of the camera (wrapped the Styrofoam in plastic wrap to avoid tiny scraps getting free inside the pack). Everything stays in tight, no wiggling around! You are shooting in a plastic bag, no need to be a snob about the fix right?

Here's a link to my flickr stream and one of my photos, I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's awfully fun... […]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overall, May 22, 2009
Overall, this is a great product and allows you to take stunning underwater photos (way better than a waterproof point and shoot) It does take some getting used to though, and it's main drawback (as has been noted by other reviewers) is , because of the unneccesary hard plastic casing over the lens area, the lack of the ability to move the zoom ring on the barrel of a standard SLR lens. This drawback in itself will affect sales. Dicapac should do two things. Keep this model for people who want to use it for large zoom lenses-where you can move the zoom- and make another model which has a soft plastic casing over the lens area which would allow the zoom to be used on a smaller standard lens. I I sympathise with the guy who said he had a leak with hi product but I think this is very rare other wise there'd be lots of such stories on the internet (which there isn't. I did some research before buying this) But in general this is essential for ocean shots, swim shots, pool shots, rain shots, etc etc. A slightly flawed but excellent product, and it's a great price too

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this!!!, September 23, 2008
I bought one of these to take on a snorkelling trip. Despite having tested it repeatedly, it developed a leak around the lens ring the first time I used it in salt water, ruining my brand new $2000 camera. I would recommend either a $500 digital point and shoot, or a $1500 hard case underwater housing. This item simply isn't worth the risk. It may ruin your camera and your trip.

3.0 out of 5 stars The best there is for under USD$100.00, December 22, 2010
In order to achieve the water scene I was requested for, I bought a DiCAPac waterproof case for my Canon 7D (which only set me back USD$97.67).

Out of the box, it looks pretty cool, although it might seem a bit scary to trust your camera inside the case, underwater. However, I threw it into an 8ft-deep pool for about an hour to see if it leaked, with rocks and papers in it. It succesfully passed the test, and so I introduced the camera into the case and tested it out. It worked.

Now, on to the quality and maneuverability of the case. It feels sturdy enough, and the lens's image is not affected at all by the case's front glass cover. Although image quality is preserved, you better watch out when using super-wide angles (Tokina 11-16 in my case) because water will distort the image a lot. On the other hand, long lenses are rendered useless, too, unless the water is crystal clean and transparent (Canon 24-70 in my case, from 35mm to 70mm on a cropped sensor). The ideal range for this case is a Canon 17-40, or anything similar from competing brands.

Even though it might sound like the best solution right now, the case does present two downsides. When you seal the case, a lot of air remains inside, making it float due to the water body's buoyancy force. It becomes really difficult to go completely underwater because of the air inside the case. And, when you try your best to expel as much air as possible from inside the case (before submerging it), the camera is left with very little air for it to run smoothly for a decent period of time. In other words, the camera overheats after 10 minutes or so.

My conclusion: if the take you're looking for is in shallow, clean water, lasts for just a couple of seconds (or maybe a couple of minutes at most), the focal length to be used is between 17mm to 40mm, and you're not willing to pay more than USD$100.00 bucks on a solution, the DiCAPac is your answer. The next best thing would be around USD$1,600, which is just too much for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand how this has a bad review., March 6, 2011
I have used this Product almost 100 times inside a 8ft deep pool. If it leaks its your own fault for not sealing it up propperly. It's not hard to seal up it does take a few mins though. But for the price I paid I couldnt be happier. And It was hard at first to control the casing. but after a few uses it gets easy and you understand it. If you would like to see some of my images taken using the bag visit [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised. So far so good., April 26, 2011
Length:: 1:46 Mins

I was very skeptical at first especially after reading all the reviews, especially the one's about the bag leaking.

So far so good...

I am actually impressed with the product especially for the price. Using my Canon 7D or 5D Mark II, the controls are easy to use. Even the finger holes for the lens are useable with my Canon 17-40 lens. I can zoom without much problem. Focusing cannot be done very well manually, but that's what the auto focus is for.

Even shooting video, I lock focus using auto focus before starting the video recording. That way at least the video starts off in focus.

I've only taken the DicaPac in the water once, in a swimming pool. There was no evidence of any leaking. I put tissues in the bag with the camera so I could easily see if any moisture at all got into the bag. Everything was dry. I did notice some condensation inside the bag when I left it out in the sun. I think using more desiccant packs could remedy that problem or just don;t leave the bag in the sun.

I found that I could hold the lens port against the lens by using my fingers to pull back on the soft part of the lens port material. This way I didn't have to keep on had on the lens port pushing the lens port against the lens. It's much easier to use my fingers to pull rather than my left had to push. This way I could keep my right hand on the camera grip and the left hand holding the left side of the camera.

I also cut out a circle from an old iPad screen protector and applied it to the inside of the clear part of the lens port. This way none of my lenses will scratch the plastic on the port itself. If there are any scratches, I can just replace it with another screen protector.

I think I will be using the DicaPac a lot this summer. I may even try it on one of my upcoming professional portrait shoots. (I am a pro photographer.)

So far I think this is a great value for someone who wants to shoot in the water once in a while or experiment with underwater photography.

You can see the quick video I shot in HD on Vimeo. Search for "Darin Fong Photography" and "dicapac" on Vimeo.

-Darin