5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Warren, how about the Director's Cut?
I have been a fan of this movie since it came out in 1990. I saw it in the theater, bought it on video tape and finally on DVD.

Imagine my surprise when I read Mr. Beatty was putting together a director's cut of this movie for a propose "Vista Series" release.

Published on June 19, 2005 by Brett M. Dunlap

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame on Touchstone
Published on April 10, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Warren, how about the Director's Cut?, June 19, 2005
This review is from: Dick Tracy (DVD)

I read on various sites, including "Ain't It Cool," that 20-30 minutes would be added and the overall tone of the picture would be darker.

This was a couple of years ago and I haven't seen anything new on it.

I understand Mr. Beatty and Disney have gotten into some legal issues regarding who has rights over the film. I just hope they are resolved quickly and Mr. Beatty can get the Director's Cut out.

I love the first cut of the movie, but felt at times they were holding back on certain themes in order to bring in as many people as possible to make the picture profitable. If you look at the original comic, it was violent.

I loved Beatty as the honest cop, Madonna as the dame and Al Pacino as the ganster Big Boy. I also loved the fact they shot it in the basic color scheme of the comic.

The great things we are discovering with the DVD format is that now both the studios and the directors can have their cake and eat it too.

Studios can put out films at a length that can maximize ticket sales and directors can present their films as they intended on DVD for the people who want to see it.

I am really looking forward to the day we can see the director's cut of this film.

Disney and Mr. Beatty - DON'T KEEP US WAITING TOO MUCH LONGER!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, not bad!, June 20, 2005
This review is from: Dick Tracy (DVD)
The script lives up to its subject, a cartoon strip, but fans of the old Dick Tracy won't be disappointed. Our old favorite characters are all there and the soundtrack, especially Madonna's sexy "Sooner or Later" is fabulous. The production values are great, with a definite comic book feel and appearance, and even if we didn't get all these great items to enjoy, there's the cameo and casting with some of Hollywood's brightest stars. Definitely worth adding to your DVD collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Warren Beatty and (close) friends - plus Madonna and Sondheim! - get the BD treatment, January 22, 2013
When this film came out on the big screen in 1990 I was blown away by Director Warren Beatty's use of bright colors to give it color comic strip feel. When I saw it years ago on VHS it was just okay. Now Buena Vista Home Entertainment has given it a great BD transfer and it is bright and colorful again.

Some of the story doesn't hold up for me any more - and the overdone makeup - which makes nearly all the male characters look really ugly - is a bit over the top but the two other things which made me love this film (besides seeing Beatty's A-list friends Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino eating up the scenery)are the sexy double-entendres by Madonna and Stephen Sondheim's new songs (including "Sooner or Later"). When Madonna is on the screen it burns sex and the Sondheim songs are some of his most tuneful (IMHO).

Yes, EVERYONE will gripe that there are no extras - not even a trailer! - but as long as you know that going in, at least you have this fun film - in a nice print - to enjoy.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Movie with Amazing Picture and Sound Quality, September 1, 2002
Michael Crane (Orland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dick Tracy (DVD)
The DVD may not be fully loaded with extras or special features, but the outstanding picture and sound quality makes up for all of that..."Dick Tracy" is an incredible movie and can be enjoyed by everyone of all ages...Warren Beatty stars as Tracy; a tough detective who is determined to fight crime at any cost. One of the main bad guys he is trying to get off the streets for good is none other than Big Boy (Al Pacino). But Big Boy isn't going down without a fight, and is willing to put a stop to Tracy's career with his gang of colorful hoodlums... I really did enjoy this movie, and it is a classic. There are still elements of danger and suspence... The actors did a great job. Beatty is awesome as Tracy, but I have to say this; as always, it is Pacino who steals the show. He is so alive and colorful in this movie. Had it not been for his famous voice, you would've never known it was Al...Warren Beatty also directed the movie and did an awesome job at doing so. Everything about the movie was convincing and believable. Had this project been given to someone else, chances are that the results wouldn't had been as good.
This is a movie that you can watch with your kids, being that the rating of the movie is only PG. There is violence, but it is not graphic and is even really cartoonish at times. There is some sensuality in it...As I said, the DVD isn't loaded with any special features, but the crystal clear picture quality and phenominal sound makes up for it. The movie can be played in DTS, which sounds really fantastic...But the picture is the show stopper. The colorful and dark settings really stand out like never before. There is no way in the world that any VHS could do this movie the justice it deserves.
"Dick Tracy" is a great movie that continues to entertain people of all ages. Filled with action, suspence, and a lot of humor, this movie does not disappoint. If you have not seen the movie already, check it out as soon as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars I always get my man..., September 21, 2011
Andrew Ellington (I'm kind of everywhere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dick Tracy (DVD)
I never got into the `Dick Tracy' comic books, but my friends were pretty heavy into it. As a young boy I remember seeing this film countless times, and while I didn't indulge in the source material, I must admit that the film holds a special place in my heart. To this day I am still rather nostalgic about this film. Having recently dug it out of my DVD library and dusted it off for a viewing I am even more so enthralled by what Warren Beatty was able to do.

`Dick Tracy' is just pure joy.

While I don't think it is as universally successful as `Who Framed Roger Rabbit' (a film that is undoubtedly a visual and tonal inspiration for this film), I can't help but adore `Dick Tracy'. Beatty perfectly meshed two worlds (the gritty underbelly with the cartoonish exaggerated) to create a singular piece, a film that felt whole despite being slightly uneven. While the script itself is not a strong suit, the film understands the shallowness it is saddled with and rises above by focusing on more intimate moments and relationships. It knows that a plot this generic needs something solid to anchor it, and Beatty enlists some tremendous talents to do just that.

Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Dick Van Dyke, Glenne Headly, William Forsythe, Charles Durning, Madonna, Paul Sorvino, Kathy Bates, Catherine O'Hara, James Caan, Estelle Parsons and Warren Beatty himself. That's quite the cast (and that's just the more recognizable names). Even with the big names, it's young Charlie Korsmo (yes, the kid from `Hook') that makes the biggest impression.

The film centers on Dick Tracy, the famed detective who has a knack for busting crime lords with ugly faces. His biggest rival is Big Boy Caprice (played by a heavily masked Al Pacino playing, well, Al Pacino). During the film, Tracy meets a young orphan who he takes under his wing. He also struggles with commitment to his girlfriend, especially when he meets the sultry club singer Breathless Mahoney. Breathless is now under the tyrannical thumb of Big Boy, but Tracy is hot on his tail, seeking to end his rule of the city.

While the story flows in predictable patterns, the film is pure visual eye candy, and the actors breathe so much charisma into every scene. Pacino earned an Academy Award nomination for yelling a lot, which is basically the same thing he does in every performance SINCE this movie. It's hard to say that the performance is bad, because this is quite frankly the BEST use of his lazily pigeonholed acting talents (god, he was so amazing in his prime). Sadly, he's been reduced to a caricature since the early 90's, playing variations of the same character over and over. Behind the makeup and ill fitted costumes, there is Al Pacino playing himself yet again. Madonna sizzles and the slew of famous faces slumming as hideous baddies (Sorvino, Hoffman, Forsythe) are all noteworthy.

But yes, it is Korsmo who infuses young `Kid' with so much natural wonderment and spunk!

At the end of the day, this is not a masterpiece but maybe it is, of nostalgic proportions. It is a landmark film that is wholly enjoyable and one that would give more than half the `family films' made today a good run for their money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame on Touchstone, April 10, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dick Tracy (DVD)
I gave this product only 2 stars. I have to explain. In this particular case I decided to rate the PRODUCT and NOT the film. The film certinaly deserves the "essential video" designation that AMAZON has bestowed on it. What gets my goat is how Touchstone (aka Disney) can release a film like this on DVD without even a hint of some behind the scenes footage/interviews, or even the trailer! And on top of that they are charging [too much] for it! There are dvd's out there that cost [less] that have better presentations than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Incredible Colors, Incredible Cast!, April 23, 2006
Craig Connell (Lockport, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dick Tracy (DVD)
This is an amazing-looking movie with the whole thing done in just six or seven colors. When it came out over 15 years ago, it stunned audiences with its color scheme, being so different from anything else that had ever been put on film. Those colors, for me at least, make this an absolutely fascinating film to watch. There are literally thousands of scenes I wish could freeze and somehow convert them to a painting to study for their artwork.

The characters and the story don't match up to the greatness of the photography, but they are all over-the-top, especially the villains. The famous actors who played them here must have a had a lot of fun on the set playing "Flatop," "Pruneface," "Lips," "Mumbles," etc.

Meanwhile, Warren Beatty and Gleanne Hedley are good as Dick Tracy and girlfriend Tess Truehart, and she's as sweet and soft as her name. Another good addition is Charlie Korsmo as the delinquent young boy called simply, "Kid," who Dick and Tess take under their wing.

The colorful other characters are played by Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, William Forysthe, Paul Sorvino, Mandy Patinkin, Madona and other names you know but are too numerous to list here. Check the full credits on the main page and you'll amazed.

The only negatives I found were Pacino's voice which grates on you after awhile, Madonna's off-key singing voice and the fact that the film would have been better trimmed about 10 minutes. Those "faults" are all minor because overall, this is a fun movie....a cartoon strip coming to life in an incredibly-colorful fashion.....like nothing you have ever seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dick Tracy, May 5, 2001
Jeffery Bauman (Garden City, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dick Tracy [VHS] (VHS Tape)
A big cartoon. The major flaw with this film is that most of the characters seem like cardboard cutouts. As far as performances, Warren Beatty was okay as Dick Tracy, Al Pacino was great as Big Boy Caprice, but Madonna stole the show as Breathless Mahoney. She stole every scene she was in. While most of the characters seem like carboard, and are lame at times, Madonna creates a character of true depth, and you actually want her to steal Tracy from Tess Truehart. She is also given great lines like "You don't know if you wanna hit me or kiss me." Her singing scenes are the best of all. Unfortunately, Al Pacino and especially Madonna are not given enough screen time. This film sort of falls into a void because it's too violent for younger children, and it's not mature enough for adults. I did sort of feel empty after seeing this. While the film was good, it was way too cartoonish for me to own it. Dick Tracy (Beatty) goes through many catastropheys as he is trying to keep the city safe. He has to outwit Big Boy Caprice (Pacino), avoid being thrown in jail, and dodge Breathless Mahoney (Madonna). Tracy is trying to get Breathless to testify against Big Boy, while she is trying to seduce him. Tracy also has to outwit the mysterious villian known as "The Blank." This film won three Oscars for Makeup, Art Direction, and Best Original Song (Sooner Or Later.)
Overall Grade: B (9+)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tracy, Tracy, Tracy...., January 15, 2013
Ah, the summer of 1990, memories of the hype surrounding Warren Beatty's Disney financed comic strip movie homage to Chester Gould's creation. 22 years later, the film looks great on blu-ray and strangely does not seem dated at all due to its 1930s setting and amazing production design. I noticed many details in the background of scenes that I had never noticed before. The tombstones in the cemetery scene have the names "Smith" and "Jones" on them blending in with the generic nature of all the businesses, cars, products etc. in the film. Madonna's tears in more than one scene are clearly visible now as well as her curves in crystal clear definition. The many cameos are dazzling, Charlie Korsmo is charismatic as The Kid and it turns out that The Blank was really played by the same thespian that played another character, you can see the height of the character is the same as another one! The storyline is convoluted but also very simple in that comic strip way and the overacting by most of the cast fits in with the cartoonish nature of the presentation. Oscar nominations and wins for the Stephen Sondheim, Madonna crooned blues song "Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)", art direction and makeup - all well deserved. Controversial movie, loved by some and hated by others. I can see what Beatty was trying to accomplish and I think he succeeds for the most part. No extras on the blu-ray release, I guess wounds have not healed between Beatty and Disney. On another high note, "I'm Breathless", the full length album recorded by Madonna and inspired by her character in the movie, is top notch. Had more of her songs been included in the final cut of the film, it would have given it a bit more "oomph" and humor!

5.0 out of 5 stars DICK TRACY, THE FORGOTTEN MASTERPIECE, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Dick Tracy (DVD)
I remember the summer of 1990. The movie studios had given me my first taste of what a summer of movies was like the year before with Tim Burton's BATMAN. So, in 1990 they had a lot to live up to. They didn't let me down with DICK TRACY. It was everywhere that summer. DICK TRACY MANIA! ANd it was beautiful, just like the film. They had contests, t-shirts standing in for movie ticket stubs that read "I was there first" for an early screening that started all over the country at 12:01 a.m. June 15. It was great! I did not get to see it opening day, but my dad did take my brother and I on that opening weekend. Director/star Warren Beatty (BULWORTH, REDS, BONNIE & CLYDE) plays thew title role along with Al Pacino (ANY GIVEN SUNDAY, THE GODFATHER 2 & 3, SCARFACE) as chief baddie Big Boy Caprice in all his evil goodness. Pacino is hilarious. The film also stars Madonna (EVITA, SWEPT AWAY, BODY OF EVIDENCE) as Breathless Mahoney and she has never looked so beautiful. The film has a wide variety of excellent villans FLATTOP, MUMBLES, PRUNEFACE, LIPS MANLIS, ITCHY, JOHNNY RAM and many, many others. A wild, visually stunning, fun and breathtaking thrill ride that delivers everything you could ask for in a fun summer movie experience. A+

Dick Tracy
Dick Tracy by Warren Beatty (DVD - 2002)
$9.99 $6.93