on December 11, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I had a previous edition of this book, maybe twenty years old, and decided that, because slang evolves rapidly, my reference books should evolve, if not rapidly, at least not slowly. Sometimes when I buy a new edition of a reference work, I'm disappointed because I sense, in looking through the book, that the update isn't very substantial. That's not true with this book. It contains many, many new slang words, with lucid explanations of their origins and areas of usage.

I also enjoy the two appendixes, A containing about six single-spaced pages of words for "drunk" or "intoxicated," and B being a guide to text messaging abbreviations. A very worthwhile book, one I'm glad I updated.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on January 6, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I have purchased many books on English slangs, and this is the one I have liked the most. What I like about it is its relevance and contemporaneity.
Be warned that I am not a language expert or a professor of any kind. This is the view of a common reader, non-native speaker.
If it were of the unabridged kind, I would not like so much. As I read it in a straight sequence, from top to bottom, I would not appreciate it having uncommon slangs. But the same token, I would not appreciate it not having common contemporary slang.
So this is the perfect choice for my need.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again