Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Did You Carry The Flag Today, Charley?
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 25, 2014
I read this book when I was about 8 or 9, it being a gift from an aunt. I didn't care for it much overall when I was a child, but it came to mind frequently in the past year or two as I've been homeschooling my two boys and seeing how they look at things and deal with things. My eldest in particular was reminding me of Charley, so I bought the book and read it to my boys over several nights, and they enjoyed it. The were so very happy when Charley got to carry the flag. This book also gave us the opportunity to talk about cultural changes, about living conditions, about work and family and education and transportation... Also how we should treat other people, and why some things Charley did were not appropriate, while others were not wrong nor inappropriate but just a different way of interpreting things. It's hard to describe Charley. He's not a "bad kid," and he's not a hidden genius. He's just a normal little boy. And anyone who's had experience with little boys (say, ages 4-6) knows that each one has his own way of surprising you with how he perceives something or solves a problem. My boys enjoyed this story more than I did as a child, and I guess that's to be expected. I'm glad I could share it with them.
on June 23, 2016
This was one of my favorite books growing up. I have the best memories in elementary school of sitting in a circle on the rug as the librarian told us of the mishaps of little Charley Cornett. I remember the various voices she would use and her expressions, and I remember laughing uncontrollably at parts. Now I get the chance to share this much beloved story with my children which includes a curious little boy like Charley, who always looks for the why and how of things and gets himself in a little bit of trouble. The book arrived in very good condition as promised, but seeing that little bit of wear and love on some of the pages honestly makes it that much more special to me. Thank you for giving me this moment with my littles and I hope one day they'll pass this one on to others.
on April 1, 2005
This was one of my very favorite books years ago when I was in the 1st or 2nd grade. I had completely forgotten about it, and then one day recently stumbled across it at our local library. I was so excited to read it to my 6-year-old son, and he loved it, too! It's a wonderful story, very simple and real, and Caudill evokes the feel of Appalachia so that you imagine it perfectly. I had never been in that part of the country when I read it as a child, but I remember feeling that I knew what it must be like from the descriptions in the book. Sure enough, as an adult now living in that part of the world, the author is dead-on in her depiction of Appalachian life. I must also mention that the few illustrations in the book are just beautiful. I highly recommend this book to everyone, children and adults.
on June 5, 2005
For the past eight years, Did You Carry the Flag Today, Charlie? is the first chapter book I read to my first grade students. I love it for many things; the mischevious curiosity of Charlie, the differences between home life and school, the school as a place where discoveries are made - and possibilities are opened up...

My students love it as much as I. We live on the edge of the Appalachian mountains, and many of my students are from rural backgrounds. They can identify with Charlie, and love his amazement at the water coming out of the faucet, and the quantities of colored clay available at school.

I recommend this book highly, as a book that keeps wiggly new first graders transfixed on the story. It is a highly successful first read-aloud in my classroom!
on January 10, 2015
This is a classic. Out of print now, but a fun read-aloud with my students. At the end of each chapter, I stop to ask the students to make a prediction. "Do you think Charley will get to carry the flag today?" Fun way to begin discussion about classroom expectations and rules.
on April 30, 2005
My daughter read this in first grade with her advanced reading group. They did some background research which made the book more understandable. For example, the school Charley attended was a free summer kindergarten for poor children. (School started at first grade in that time and place.) The kids also tried washing their hands with homemade soap like Charley had at home.

My daughter was thrilled when we moved and she got to read Charley all over agian in second grade!
on September 22, 2013
Delightful book showing that a child's curiosity is not bad behavior. Growing up in the back woods can leave a child with a lot of unanswered questions.
on March 10, 2013
I read this every year to my 1st and 2nd grade classes. It touches on social skills that small children are learning.
on July 22, 2015
I have always loved this book and so bought it for my great grandchildren.
on October 26, 2014