Did Cole know Malcolm was a ghost?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2008 3:41:14 PM PDT
Did Cole know Malcolm was a ghost? I'd think he'd have to know. The movie never went into it, but there where indications that he knew: Cole hardly ever talked to him, when other people were around, and the scene when Cole walked in on Malcolm and his mom, he didn't acknowledge Malcolm until his mom left the room, and just kept shaking his head yes or no, until he was sure his mom wouldn't be able to hear him.And the last time they talked Cole seemed to have a little knowing smile. Think he knew?
Chantell

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 10:39:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2008 1:58:58 PM PST
Spoiler Warning, anyone?
lol
Your title above (Did Cole know Malcolm was a ghost?) is certainly a spoiler. Should have called it 'Question about Sixth Sense, with Spoilers'. But that's neither here nor there.

Since the cat's already out of the bag...
To answer your question: Of course he knew.
Does Cole ever speak to Malcolm directly when another person is around? Cole's purpose is to help dead people, which he does for Malcolm.
Also, remember that Cole says to Malcolm "You're not like the others. You're nice." This is taken as meaning doctors/therapists but it really means dead people (ghosts) which are usually scary or hostile to Cole.
Plus, if you think about it, since Malcolm is dead throughout most of the film, and Cole sees him and speaks to him, it's obvious that the boy knows.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 1:25:32 PM PST
Wasn't trying tospoil it. Sorry. I always thought so too. I was just curious, since they never went into it. Thanks for pointing out that quote, "your not like the others", that's one thing I never picked up on. I think he and Malcolm helped each other: Cole needed help, Malcolm needed help.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 1:57:33 PM PST
It's the type of movie where each time you watch it you notice something new, or see a different 'clue' to the mystery. Granted, there are flaws and plot holes (as in any film) but this one succeeds in creating a creepy mood and for me the twist was just gravy.

People either like it or hate it. There are theories about this movie all over the place; one school of thought involves the director's use of the color red. There's lots of stuff on the internet.

I saw it with a friend and she figured out the twist very early in the movie (at least that what she claimed after the movie was over, lol); I was surprised at the twist but then I started replaying parts of the film in my head and it began coming together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Have you seen 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman? Or 'The Wicker Man' (1973, not the dumb remake with Nicolas Cage)? You might like them as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 2:15:25 PM PST
Yeah.The producers andwriter/director said that the color read was a clue. It's very interesting. It's totally like a movie that Alfred Hitchcock would have made
Chantell

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 9:01:33 AM PDT
Edgar Degas says:
I was struck by this film's brilliance and recalled earlier TV shows and movies with similar concepts (The Hitch-Hiker (The Twilight Zone) An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (The Twilight Zone) , and Jacob's Ladder (1990) With Tim Robbins.

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 9:02:31 AM PDT
Edgar Degas says:
I was struck by this film's brilliance and recalled earlier TV shows and movies with similar concepts (The Hitch-Hiker (The Twilight Zone) An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (The Twilight Zone) , and Jacob's Ladder (1990) With Tim Robbins.

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 2:45:38 PM PDT
If you notice that when cole sees malcon for the first time he runs from him like he would the other ghosts he encounters. Not anything I noticed the first time around but did the second time I saw it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 2:59:30 PM PDT
Yeah, I noticed this. I guess Cole didn't believe it was his place to tell Malcolm, since they never really go into whether or not he knew.
Chantell

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 3:03:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2010 3:04:51 PM PDT
Edgar Degas says:
That mystery is emblematic of the beauty of this film. I am certain that Cole recognized Malcolm for what he had become. Cole was far too sensitive to have not seen the reality. He was also far too sensitive and discrete to have mentioned it to Malcolm.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 4:44:50 PM PDT
You are very right.
Chantell

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 11:00:22 AM PDT
R.B. Fisher says:
another funny clue is one of malcolm's very first things he says to cole: when asked whether he is a good doctor, he says he 'used to be'.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:15:11 AM PDT
I wonder if Cole ever told his mom about Malcolm? Has anyone ever asked why they never go into whether or not Cole knew Malcolm was a ghost? I guess after seeing the movie your suppose to assume he knew. I agree Cole defintly knew, but knew it wasn't his place to say anything to Malcolm

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 2:05:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 2:08:10 PM PST
if he knew malcolm was a ghost why did he have to tell him that he could see dead people? malcolm was a dead peeson. so if cole knew malcolm was dead he would have to assume malcolm already knew that cole could see dead people. unless he knew malcolm didnt know he was dead. who knows???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2014 9:54:19 AM PST
M. Maher says:
Also, I noted that he ran into a church and in subsequent scenes seemed to be very familiar with it. It is my sense that Cole ran to the church quite often when he saw the ghosts.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Sixth Sense [VHS]
The Sixth Sense [VHS] by Bruce Willis (VHS Tape - 2000)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,449)