4.0 out of 5 stars It's Getting Better, December 22, 2010
Catherine Gebhardt (Springfield, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Did Success Spoil Jayne Mansfield?: Her Life in Pictures & Text (Paperback)
I enjoyed this second book on Jayne by Frank Ferruccio more than his first. Diamonds to Dust: The Life and Death of Jayne Mansfield The picture quality has graduated beyond a Xeroxed term paper look. The chapters are interesting and you can tell Frank is indeed a fan of Jayne's and kudos to him for his relationships with the Mansfield children, family members, etc. One should hope to be so fortunate. But I came away after this second book feeling once again that the author should have someone more competent than he when it comes to picture quality and proofreading. For example, page 252 (Chapter Fifteen) shows a picture of Jayne and says, "Jayne out for a snack after performing in Gentleman Perfer Blones". Seriously?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Celebration of Jayne and her Mansfields., February 8, 2011
I waited for this book to come out the minute I heard it was in production from the site Frank Ferruccio also founded. I enjoyed his first book Diamonds to Dust, and knew this second book would only get better. The book is gigantic, and full of pictures! Fantastic pictures of Jayne from all her eras. From her early days as a Warners contract player to her Mod days in the late 60s(my personal favorite era). It doesn't cheap out like most books on Jayne do, where it shows you a gallery of photos from The Girl Can't Help It that we've all seen a million times. But also there's a whole lot of book to, it was very well researched and I felt as if I was getting the dish right from a personal friend of Jayne. It doesn't hurt that the author knows the Mansfield children personally. Because of this you get some really great stories about Jayne. Some are sweet and some are racy, but never feel trashy. You can tell he wrote this book to honor Mansfield's legacy and not to kick dirt over it.

Seeing as most books on Jayne are years out of print, this is a great find for any fan of Jayne, or for those just curious about this buxom, brainy blonde!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awful typos, but awesome pictures, January 24, 2011
Buy this book if you have an average interest in Jayne Mansfield.

The lead author has a advantage over many who have written about Jayne: He personally knows many of Ms. Mansfield's family. His passion and dedication to his subject is clearly evident. Unfortunately, the typographical errors in the book are numerous. The sentence structure is often poor.

However, the arrangement of photographs (which are the essence of the book) are a different story. Very impressive! Mansfield is radiant in her peak Hollywood poses. Rare candid shots also adorn the pages. The photos of Jayne with her family bring a wonderfully human touch to the book. Seeing the shots of the places she performed (like the Gus Stevens Supper Club) helps give the reader a feel for the times in which Ms. Mansfield lived.

The text of the book needs major corrections. But the photographs stand on their own as fascinating story telling.

4.0 out of 5 stars New edition (maybe), skimpy on the 1950's but FANTASTIC photos, February 15, 2012
First off, the copy of this book that I'm currently holding in my hands must be a 2nd or 3rd edition (though it's nowhere specified on the frontispiece), because a significant number of the typographical errors mentioned in the critical reviews appear to have been corrected. Some still remain, though. The 3-star review complained that chapters 12-19 of the book had been written in a 1st-person style as opposed to a narrative style for the balance of the book; this also seems to have been changed in the current edition. The author writes overall as though he's talking directly to the reader about his subject; some may find that jarring after more formal biographies of movie stars, but in fact it's warm and intimate, befitting what is really a labor of love. Ferruccio is out to celebrate Jayne Mansfield, not trash her, and it shows on every page - and that's just fine with me.

I do have a problem with this book, though, in that it doesn't give as much space to Jayne's heyday in the 1950's as it could have. Ferruccio appears to have taken the decision to concentrate on Jayne's personal life rather than her career, particularly on the last seven years of her life - an entirely defensible decision, as this was a fascinating and ultimately tragic period - but I would have liked to read more about her 1950's Hollywood movies and publicity stunts and get some more analysis of why she never managed to make it to the A-list despite her brains, beauty and (yes!) talent.

The photos make up for whatever shortcomings might still remain in the text, though. There are hundreds of B&W photographs on virtually every page, many in full-page size, and I have never seen most of them before. I own "Sexbomb", the only other English-language photobook on Mansfield (long out of print), and this is a whole new collection of pics! At least one critical review mentioned that some of these pictures appeared in another photo collection, "Bombshell", but that's a foreign-language book (and another out-of-print item, moreover) which most Americans would never have seen. The brilliant photographic collection is what saves the book, elevates it above mediocrity to worthwhileness (if that's even a word!) and justifies its 4-star rating.

I haven't read Ferruccio's first book on Jayne, "Diamonds to Dust", though I understand it received a lot of criticism. He has apparently learned a lot from his experiences with that volume, though, and I have no hestitation about recommending this book to Mansfield fans and others interested in this star.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book for Mansfield fans alike! A+!, January 10, 2011
K. Preston (Marietta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
"Did Success Spoil Jayne Mansfield?" NO! It immortalized her forever in the hearts of millions that knew she was better than the level critics always wanted to place her at!
I have been a fan since 1987 upon discovering who this dynamic beautiful woman was and finding how adored her memory is to this day. I personally have always felt that she could have been more, much more and Jayne was talented. But even better away from her blond persona, I admire her memory because she went after a dream and it came true by her own efforts. She left this world too soon.... So many other authors, writers have given a vivid account of Jayne's reign while in Hollywood, all over the world, but Ferruccio has created a labor of love dedicated to her story unlike his peers. This book stands out with a beautiful "must-have" pictoral honoring her memory and the bio here points out some interesting facts that perhaps fans may not be aware of..which is a page-turner in a good sense! I would suggest to long-time admirers and new fans to get your copy while you can because I consider this book a rare jewel. I am very pleased to see this awesome homage come to life and "thank you", Frank for keeping her alive for fans everywhere. 5 stars !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 356 page PICTURE FILLED BIOGRAPHY !!!!, November 24, 2010
This book is much different than my first. It is filled with over 300 rare photos obtained through my years of collecting as well as personal family photographs. The text in the book is alot more juicy than my last book, it is more of a realistic view of a multi-talented star with a very human side. Along with success comes many dissapointments.

Jayne's star rose so far so fast, that when it fell so soon, she chased after it the rest of her life. To ease the pain of personal and profesional disapointments, she became addicted to alcohol and pills. Back in the fifties and sixties, there weren't rehabs, just AA and sanitariums which were viewed as "nuthouses".

Many people tried to steer Jayne towards finding help and pointing out reckless behaviour, but it only made her more rebelious. This book deals more with the later and rougher years of Jayne's life, which weren't so glamourous as the beginning. If you ever wondered who Law & Order SVU's star Mariska Hargitay's mom was, Jayne Mansfield is the name.

You can see where Mariska gets her beauty and brains from, and if Jayne became a star in later decades like Mariska did, she would have most likely been a much bigger star.

I'm sure that Jayne is proud of her famous daughter, who is so richly talented, loving, caring and giving. These are all qualities that her mother had, but just lost sight of. This is HER story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jayne Mansfield lives in our hearts and minds, January 24, 2011
I got this fantastic book for a Christmas gift. I couldn't put it down. I have been a Jayne Mansfield fan since the mid 70's. There have been countless books written about Jayne. I have read most all that I could get my hands on. Frank has done the best by far of all I have ever owned. He has truly shown Jayne from the personal side.There has been way to much time gone by without any mention of Jayne Mansfield. Thank you Frank for all your hard work and attention to detail on this book. Any Jayne fan who is considering Did Success Spoil Jayne Mansfield, I can say you will not be disappointed. I have to say that I unfortunately missed Franks first book. This book is just filled with pictures of Jayne from the 60's. Any Jayne fan knows how rarely those pictures ever appear in books about Jayne Mansfield. I can't say enough good about this book. Get a copy and see for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frank keep's the memory alive!, January 19, 2011
I just received this book. It's been a long wait (I live in The Netherlands) but it was worth it.
I was happy to see that the photos in this book were much better to view than in Frank's former book.
Frank is a true fan of Jayne Mansfield. I enjoy his writing about his beloved subject. Thank you very much Frank for keeping the memory of Jayne Mansfield alive!
I'm also an author, and my book "Fifties Blondes - Sexbombs, Sirens, Bad Girls & Teen Queens" also features a chapter on Jayne. I'm currently working on a new book; all about Jayne Mansfield with the focus on her films!
Fifties Blondes: Sexbombs, Sirens, Bad Girls and Teen Queens

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK, December 30, 2010
i COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN. EVERY PAGE IS FULL OF FASCINATING INFORMATION ON JAYNE MANSFIELD. THE PICTURES ARE RARE AND BEAUTIFUL. THE COVER DONE BY DAMIEN SANTRONI IS SO GORGEOUS. FRANK HAS DONE A FANTASTIC JOB WITH HIS NEWEST BOOK. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE. AT FIRST I THOUGHT THE BOOK WAS ONE OF THESE SMALL PAPERBACKS. WHEN I GOT IT IN THE MAIL, IT'S HUGE AND WONDERFUL. A LOVING TRIBUTE TO JAYNE MANSFIELD. I ENCOURAGE ALL TO GET A COPY AND SEE FOR THEMSELVES.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SUCCESSFUL BOOK BY FERRUCCIO., December 25, 2010
This is truely an acomplished piece of work,Frank Ferruccio really captures the true essence of this extraordinairy woman, the era the feel of those times and how she became one of the if not thee most photographed BOMBSHELL of the 1950's thru the 1960's. There are very rare photos of Jayne that I have never even seen,and mind you I am a collector of this fab bombshell for a long time and proud of what i have obtained,through the years.Mr Ferruccio has out done himself with his second book on JAYNE MANSFIELD.

Did Success Spoil Jayne Mansfield?: Her Life in Pictures & Text
Did Success Spoil Jayne Mansfield?: Her Life in Pictures & Text by Frank Ferruccio (Paperback - November 19, 2010)
$29.95 $23.94
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies