Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Did You Miss Me? (The Baltimore Series)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on February 6, 2013
This is a spine tingling suspense novel with a mystery that lasts until the very last page. The heroine is a prosecutor and you assume that the bad guy who kidnapped her son is one of the family members of the man she has just put in prison. Although this family is evil and certainly causes a large amount of trouble the true mystery is rooted in the heroine's past and is convoluted and the path to solving the mystery is full of red herrings and is so well done that you don't see the bad guy's identity until the end. The hero in this book is an FBI agent who met the heroine nine months ago and has had a thing for her ever since. He even transferred to a different task force to be closer to her. I love this kind of passion, and I liked both of these characters. They are both old enough that they have experienced life's ups and downs and also quite a bit of tragedy between them. It's a credit to the writer that the chemistry between the characters is hot and passionate despite neither of them being "perfect". I have read every book that this author has written so I enjoy the supporting cast of characters many of whom we have met in previous outings. This is a great book for those who like can't put it down mystery, suspense, thriller type books with just the right amount of sex and passion to keep things interesting.
on December 9, 2012
This is the latest Karen Rose title and already I cant wait for the next one. As usual she writes a complex story with lots of twists & turns. It wasn't until I was 80% through the book that I decided who the killer was and then I wasn't quite right. This story keeps you on the edge of your seat right until the last page. I highly recomend it to any lover of thrillers!
on February 6, 2013
Loved this book, didn't want to put it down - I was actually reading it at work (shhhhh!). I was completely drawn into the suspense of the story, and it was great to see characters from previous books and "catch up". Ms. Rose does a fantastic job of really putting you "there" in the story, so much so that the whole courthouse steps scene had my heart pounding. The mystery was very well done; I truly didn't know whodunnit until the last chapter of the book, and that's rare these days.

I enjoyed Joseph and Daphne, and it was great to see them get together. But... something about their interactions felt a little forced to me. In the previous book Daphne is a total character, with her big hair, bright suits and Southern twang. That Daphne was nowhere in sight in this book - which is kind of understandable, given what she goes through in the 3 days' time this story covers, but it's like her personality was completely different, and we're never treated to the "old" Daphne. The ending was also a little abrupt, I thought.

The character that really kept my attention - and it wasn't even his story! - was Clay Maynard. Man, he had a rough couple of days, and it didn't end with a shiny happy rainbow for him. I'm hoping the next book is his and Stevie's. Stevie, put the poor guy out of his misery already!!

Totally worth the purchase, and I can't wait for the next one!
on February 16, 2013
I'm giving up...usually I finish a book in two days, but I've been struggling to get half-way through this one for a week. It just goes on and on with page-fillers that are uninteresting and add nothing to the story. I just want it to stop! Sorry I pre-ordered it.
on February 8, 2013
I've never read a Karen Rose book that I didn't love. I pre-ordered it months ago and what a pleasant surprise when I woke up a few days ago and it was on my Kindle home page! I should never have started reading it when I had work to do because I could not put it down. Stayed up until the wee hours to finish it. Even read a huge portion on my phone while waiting for meetings to start.

I love the main character Daphne. She can be brash. She is a cancer survivor with the scars and wigs to go along with it. I think a lot of people can relate to her. She doesn't have a perfectly perfect little body like most of our heroines in these romance and suspense books. She's strong and intelligent. Our hero, Joseph, is harder to "get to know", but I eventually came around. He's definitely not perfect.

This book has tons of twists and turns. While we know from the beginning who the bad guy is and how he's manipulating everyone, we don't know his full name and his relationship to Daphne. This book kept me guessing until almost the end (I had it narrowed down to two, but wasn't sure until the author revealed it).

Daphne's childhood plays an extremely important part in this book and I won't spoil it by elaborating except to say that it drew me in and I was able to feel the terror she felt as a child.

I think this is one of Karen Rose's best books. I can't wait until the next one!
on February 11, 2013
While I love Karen Rose and have read everything she's ever written, I just can't seem to get into this book. I'm 15% in it and there are so many characters and names being thrown around I find myself just trying to get a handle on who is who and what the heck is going on! Someone please tell me that if I keep muddling through it will eventually make sense...
on December 13, 2014
I'm a fan of Karen Rose. Her style of writing draws me in and keeps me fascinated from beginning to end. While reading this mystery, I felt like a CSI crime solver. The twists and turns are so Ms. Rose. I had never read a story where it seems all characters are personally involved with abductions/kidnappings. The characters are well developed. In fact, I bought this book months ago after completing another of Karen Rose novels because I wanted to get more acquainted with Daphne Montgomery, Carter, Grayson and others.

I love a great murder mystery and this did not disappoint! As I read, I was envisioning every scene...trying to guess what may happen next...whispering in the character's ears trying to offer my knowledge to assist in solving the crimes, etc.. One had to stay sharp and pay close attention to clues to stay ahead of the crew in putting the pieces together and solving the mystery.

Suspenseful...on the edge...shocking thriller of a novel. Very engaging...can't put it down!

Would I recommend this book? Without a doubt and you'd thank me for it later. One hint...look for the unexpected information that may shock you in the end. Wow!
on May 1, 2013
If I was told that I was going to be locked away in a room for the rest of my life and I could only take one author’s complete set of published works, I’d have a hard time choosing between Julie Garwood and Karen Rose. Though I would probably choose Garwood because a) she has more published works and b) her works span several different romance categories, in my opinion Rose is the better author.

The book starts off the night before the verdict is read for a big murder trial in which Assistant State’s Attorney Daphne Montgomery is the lead prosecutor. That night her son Ford and his girlfriend are abducted leaving a movie theater, Ford later wakes up to find himself bound, gagged, and alone in a garage/pole building in the middle of seemingly nowhere with no idea what’s going on or why he was really taken (he assumes it’s either about his mom’s trial or for a ransom since his estranged father is apparently very rich (it’s actually neither)). FBI Agent Joseph Carter is asked by his father to check on Ford the next day (Ford is an intern for Carter’s father), and discovers Ford’s car, the girlfriend’s car, and a body.

From there we race through Baltimore, Philadelphia, and down to West Virginia. While the main focus of this story is on Daphne Montgomery and Joseph Carter, we also get the viewpoints of Ford, a PI, a cop, the killer, and even the killer’s brother. These additional viewpoints never take away from the story, never lead the reader away from where the main characters are going, and are usually short enough to prevent the reader from becoming agitated (I do become irked if too much time is spent away from the main characters.).

This novel is categorized as Romantic Suspense and there is romance and there is suspense, but the romance takes second place to the suspense. I enjoy romance as much as the next gal, but what I enjoy more is when the romance is used to spice up an already great story. In Rose’s stories the Hero and Heroine usually meet, calamity ensues, and as they’re (the H&H) racing to solve the crime and catch the bad guy they (the H&H) fall in love.
Rose’s books are not for the faint of heart. She writes scenes from not only the Hero’s perspective, the Heroines perspective, and secondary characters’ perspectives, but also from the Killer’s and his/her victims. Since the victims are usually being subjected to beatings, rape, and very gruesome deaths, it’s not nice. In no way have I ever felt, though, that Rose was being gruesome just for the sake of being gruesome, but that those scenes added to the psychological impact of what the main characters were seeing and experiencing and that when the book ended, the main characters winning, conquering evil, meant more to you the reader.

I loved this book, I loved the characters, and I loved the story.
on February 17, 2013
She did it again!! Karen Rose is a fantastic author. I have read most of her romantic/suspense books and each one has had me mezmerized and on the edge of my seat. This book was no different. The author gives you a perspective both from the victim and would-be killer's mind. There are lots of characters who are threaded through-out which gives you a number of possibilities to choose from if you are inclined to try to figure out "who"...it won't be easy as this book is so well written.
on October 7, 2013
After 'getting to know' Daphne and Joseph in the past 2 books, I was thrilled to see them get their story (I'll be even more excited once Stevie and Clay finally get theirs!)
We first met Daphne Montgomery in "You Belong to Me" as she was Grayson's assistant DA. After "No One Left to Tell", Daphne was promoted to the head DA in the homicide division. Joseph Carter is Grayson's brother and first met Daphne while helping Grayson on a case. Joseph has now moved to Baltimore and teamed up with the local PD in a joint FBI/Police taskforce. When Joseph first met Daphne, he was struck by her 'colorful' personality and larger than life hair. Daphne liked to wear big, colorful clothes and even bigger hair. Now that she's more in the spotlight, she's toned down her look. Another reviewer said that it's never explained why she changed. Actually it is, several times. Without giving away any spoilers, I'll just say she hinted at her past when she helped Paige in the last book. She further explains in this book about her teenage pregnancy, followed by her stifling home life and heartbreak.

So now Daphne is the target of a madman. He kidnaps her son, Ford and starts terrorizing her by bringing up a childhood nightmare. Joseph will do anything to keep Daphne safe. What follows is a intriguing, fast-pased story about a terrible crime and the woman to was strong enough to stay alive.

What I liked: I really liked that this time, more than just Joseph was involved in the solving of this case. It seemed like in the past 2 books, the hero did it all himself with very little help from his team mates. This time the hero actually gets to sleep some! I also liked that characters from past books (and series) make an appearance in this book. Don't worry if you've never read other series by this author. While it's obvious there are more stories to tell, you won't be lost.

What I didn't like: Maybe it's the human part of me, but I wish there was more revenge against some people from Daphne's past that hurt her the most. Namely, her ex-husband. He's quite the jerk. I wish more had been done about him.

Of all the Baltimore series books, I think I liked this one the most...so far. I've already pre-ordered "Watch Your Back" so I'm hoping that'll be my new favorite :)