Customer Discussions > Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred forum

Did anyone lose weight with this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2009 11:57:54 AM PDT
And, I mean a significant amount of weight. Did you eat normally while doing it? Or, did you diet? Please let me know.

Posted on May 6, 2009 1:58:09 PM PDT
I think Jillian's claim of 20 pounds in 30 days is on the fast and loose side. (and probably not prudent from a health perspective) I'm on day 29 of daily Shred, 10 days on each level, and have lost 10 pounds, 2 inches from hips, 1.5 inches from waist, .5 inch from upper thigh. I'm down one size. I've been eating more vegetables, significantly reducing processed foods like bread and pasta, avoiding sugar. I'm not counting calories or grams at all ( Too much work for me!) but I'd guess my daily caloric intake is around 1,500. On weekends, my standards relax and I indulge in pizza or pasta a few times and get back on the horse come Monday. I'm 5'5" and weigh 159 lbs. and looking to get down to about 145 or so. I'm not "dieting" because I aim to eat this way all the time, except for special occasions of course! Hope this helps.

Posted on May 18, 2009 2:42:22 PM PDT
Thanks! Well, 10 pounds is still awesome, right? I'm currently losing about 4 pounds a month. An additional 6 pounds would be excellent.

Posted on May 19, 2009 1:15:46 PM PDT
taylordd says:
Ive been doing the Shred plus banisf fat and no more trouble zones since january 09', i have lost 10 pounds since then. im 5'5, and im down to 125 pounds, i dont go over 2,000 cals a day and i try to eat very healthy. I feel my body is much more toned than ever. i did want to get down to 115 lbs but i am pretty happy, i used to have alot of cellulite on my butt and thighs and its been reduced about 80% since ive been doing her workouts. I used to think it was impossible to get rid of cellulite because so many celebs have it but now i know through constant exercises like jillians and eating healthy you can get rid of it,, so im happy about that.. I still would like to loose 10 more pounds.

Posted on May 19, 2009 4:10:02 PM PDT
Hmm...10 pounds in 5 months is not exactly the speed I was aiming for...well, I eat around 1400 calories a day though, so I will probably lose a bit faster...thanks!

Posted on May 19, 2009 7:57:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2009 7:58:34 PM PDT
If you are looking to lose a substantial amount of pounds look elsewhere BUT if you are looking to tone your body then this dvd is for you! I am eating about 1800 calories a day and I have seen increased toning on my biceps, hips, and abs.

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 9:17:07 AM PDT
CurlyGirl says:
I've been reading many posts related to Jillian's DVDs and had ended with some conclusions which I'd like to share. Many of us came to these reviews looking for hope and somehow -honestly- for stories which might tell us that the road we're about to or already walking, could be much easier than we've already realized it is. In my personal opinion -and conclusion-: miracles do not exist... we should know it by now since many us had tried before dieting and working out, sometimes we got what we've looked for, some others not. After only two weeks of working out with Jillian's DVDs (I bought 30-DS, BFBM, TBL Cardio and NMTZ, haven't tried the latest two) I've seen (and mainly, felt) good results but get a little discouraged after weighting myself last Monday: only less than 2lbs below, which is my main focus right now (losing weight).

I could decide to just drop these videos and keep looking for `another one' but, what am I really looking for? I do have the health, I do have the capabilities, and the most important, I do have the strength to keep on doing these exercises and help myself to get thru all the road I'll have to walk (which is going to be much longer than I expected) but I know that at the end of it, it will worth it. I'm 33 years old, I know my `best times' (losing weight speed terms) had gone once I crossed the 30's (:S) but I also know what I'm capable of and if I've been able some other times to get what I looked for, this will not be the exception, I'm 35 lbs away from my goal (after pregnancy) but you'll keep hearing from me, you bet it ;)

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 1:02:15 PM PDT
Space Monkey says:
I own all of Jillian's DVDs and many others; but from someone who was 90 lbs overweight 5 years ago, I know that there is no "magical DVD" that's going to make you drop a huge amount of weight in a short time (not safely, anyway). Jillian is good, and I do like her DVDs the best, but the key factor in weight loss is what you eat. I exercised for 2 years straight and didn't lose a pound. It wasn't until I stopped eating crap and started eating healthily and organically that I started to see weight come off. Jillian's DVDs just helped make the muscle I had underneath all that flab look fantastic! The most important thing I've learned in my weight loss journey is this--90% of the battle is diet, and the other 10% is physical activity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2009 7:39:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2009 7:42:15 PM PDT
deej says:
I am also 5'5 and i weigh 182. i would love to get to 159! but my goal is also around 145..I am 45. not sure if that makes a difference on how fast you lose weight..I go to the gym and do cardio and weights with really little results.. losing my motivation...I was doing bootcamp 2 days a week and that made a difference.. i quit for other reasons but maybe if i try the 30 day shred that will help me again?

Posted on Jun 6, 2009 9:31:11 PM PDT
Deej: I'm 43 and started out at 171, so we're pretty close on the stats. I too found that cardio+weight lifting at the gym didn't get me the results I wanted, although I was getting other benefits. The Shred really changed my ideas about how to work out more efficiently. I suggest you try the challenge of daily workouts for a month with the Shred. Now that I've done the 30 day cycle, I'm alternating it w/ her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism DVD and just started Kettlebells, which I LOVE. I did a lot of research on which Kettlebell DVD to get and decided on Lauren Brooke's. It was not cheap, but it has almost an hour and a half of excellently detailed instruction and, like the 30 Day Shred, contains a short but intense workout. This mini workout is 12 min. long and you can do as many times in succession as you feel you can handle/have time for. Also like the Shred, it is based on basic functional compound movements. Deej: Order the 30 Day Shred and start it a.s.a.p. and decide you CAN do this for 25 minutes a day for a month. Drink a lot of water. Eat a lot of salads and lean protein and limit or eliminate processed carbs. You will get results.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2009 9:16:05 AM PDT
deej says:
thanks for the advice.. I think i will try it. also thinking about getting the nordictrac incline x3 that jillian promotes..maybe if i can do those 2 things at home i will finally see results! I figure if i'm paying a membership and seeing no results, i might as well get a machine which i do at the gym anyway...

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 11:08:11 PM PDT
I lost 5 pounds the first two weeks! With also the help from Jillian Micheal's Winning By Losing book.. Her book taught me so much! I was so sore after the first workout on beginner's level! I went to work the next day not being able to reach down to get something. I can feel more of the workout in my thighs and arms than my stomach and obliques. But, I can't believe I lost all that weight in just two weeks! Thank you Jillian!

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 6:21:22 PM PDT
D. Ika says:
I have not lost any significant weight using this DVD for about a month. I might've lost a pound or so, but I can't tell. But I definetly have a more toned body...shoulders, biceps and thighs. I probably lost fat and gained muscle, which is why my weight hasn't changed (just a guess). Her workout is great, I highly recommend, but diet is definetly something that has to be altered to compliment the workout for fat loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2009 1:50:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2009 1:51:17 AM PDT
K. Hunter says:
Jessica, did you eat healthier whilst working out? 5 pounds in 2 weeks seems like an immediate goal for me. I'd like to know how you managed. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 25, 2009 6:04:30 AM PDT
M. Gautreaux says:
This DVD gave me results! I am a stay-at-home mom of 3, with my yougest being 6 months old. After the initial weight loss coming home from the hospital, my weight was stuck at 160 for 5 months. I breastfeed, so I usually don't lose weight until I wean my baby. Well, this DVD changed that. After 3 weeks, I have lost 6lbs. and one pants size. My abs are SUPER toned, and I'm getting toned all over. My husband has noticed a huge difference. I also follow the Body-for-Life style of eating (6 small meals per day, lean protein, healthy carbs, fresh produce with one "free" meal per week) so I believe that makes a huge difference, too. You must watch what you eat!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2009 10:51:05 PM PDT
Yes, I ate MUCH healthier than I normally do. I didnt put myself on a strict diet, I ate things that I knew that was healthy for me and that I enjoyed. I ate about 5-6 small meals (about the size of my fist) a day. And, I rewarded myself everyday with something small, like a reese's cup or 1/3 of a snickers bar. It's hard, but once you get the hang of it you feel better about it. And that is what kept me going daily. :)

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 8:20:10 AM PDT
I would recommend looking at Chalene Extreme or Slim in Six by Beachbody. They mix cardio and weight lifting as well as come with a nutrition plan which will help you achieve the best results possible.

Alot of people think cutting their calories down (to 1200 even!) will help them lose weight. When actually it can cause your gain or stay at the same weight - because your body goes into "storage" mode because it feels its not getting enough fuel.

If you wanna know more - email me at jodicastagnier@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 1:24:40 PM PDT
I. Phillip says:
Very helpful. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 1:30:32 PM PDT
I. Phillip says:
Any updates? Did you loose any more weight or you stopped working out altogether?

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 6:11:23 AM PDT
Well, if anyone is looking to lose weight, you HAVE TO base things on food as well as exercise. You can't schluff off on the weekends. 1800 calories are a lot of calories on a 160 lb female body. 1800 calories on 300 lb body, is probably good. You have to measure food, ounces of meats, veggies and carbs. Portion control is important. Saying "No" to seconds and walking away still a little hungry is okay. So, for those who aren't losing weight, perhaps the reason is how you are eating. So to tell people it isn't working for you and that they need to looks elsewhere if they are trying to lose weight isn't right. These videos may work for them w/the right amounts of food and they will see good results.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 5:35:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2010 5:37:22 PM PDT
Mestiza says:
I finish the 30 day shred tomorrow! it actually took me double the time due to injury, using other dvds (pilates, yoga, Mel B's, BFBM), & sickness. Please keep in mind I am a petite female (5 ft tall, 105 lbs before the shred) so obviously with my size I'm not going to be losing 20+ lbs. With that being said, I didn't have a lot of weight to lose (my goal was to get to around 100) but really wanted to tone up and get in shape. I am now 99-100 lbs. I have lots inches ( didn't take measurements.. wish I did) but have definitely lost some in the waist. Overall I feel healthier & strong. My arms are smaller but not super toned. My stomach is much flatter but still not a 6 pack (JM says in level 3.. "you should be well on your way to that 6 pack by now" umm? not me.. did anyone get one by the end of the shred?).

A couple weeks after I started the shred I changed my diet - ate healthier, limited junk food, cut out most carbs (no bread, but some whole grains like oatmeal). I consume about 1150 calories a day.

So I did get results.. but honestly expected a little more (for my body type). I thought I would be able to lose a little more (maybe about 7 lbs) but I guess it takes more work than what I'm doing.. also didn't really think this vid did a great job of toning SPECIFIC areas.. but made me feel stronger and fitter overall (hence the overall weight loss).

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 8:29:35 AM PDT
T. Rivard says:
I'm 57 yrs old and have lost 33 lbs in the last 9 months following the South Beach diet. I've been stuck at my current weight for almost 6 mos now. I did the shred faithfully for 30 days and have continued with it 3x's week since. Haven't lost a single ounce and I don't notice a difference in my body being toned. What the? It's very discouraging. I also walk on the treadmill and use the rowing machine a couple of times a week also. Geez

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:58:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 12:01:10 PM PDT
Rats! can't get a response and do not see my post. i was always active with my husband Tom scuba diving a couple of times a year. he passed away 2 yrs. ago after being together for 46 yrs. (brain tumor) now i need to get moving again. (not scuba without him of course)this looks interesting. i'd like to try it, but never took vitamins in my life, so don't need all the extras with this. i'm in excellent health. i am 65 yrs. old and 5' 2". i weigh about 110. i would like very much to tone up now and lose a couple of lbs. i just don't want to look like a beach ball. Please respond with your opinions. Regards, TONI

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:23:31 PM PDT
Laura G says:
When I want to lose weight, I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories and I weigh 140 pounds. It varies by individual and is a function of your metabolism and how much you move during the day. There's a few good books that explain this in simple terms and have been great for losing weight and getting healthy. First is I'm Fat, Help Me, and the other is Skinny Bitch. Both are written in a pretty direct style, so I'd get them only if you're not easily offended. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 3:29:19 PM PDT
I just finished day 5 of the 30 DS today an I'm feeling great! I was super sore the first couple of days but as long as you keep working out trough it like you're supposed to then that will fade faster. I am already seeing results. I'm 5'10" and weighed 174.8 when I first started (the heaviest I've ever been). In 5 days I've lost 3 pounds, and lost an inch in both my bust an waist, and a 1/2 inch in both my thighs and hip. I'm eating around 1500 calories or below every day and try to stick to greens, fruit, and chicken. I can honestly say this is the best I've felt in a long time!! Pretty decent when I just recently finished my collegiate softball career in june with working out every day. Good luck!!! It's completely worth it :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (4,877)