Customer Discussions > The Hardy Boys: Season 3 forum

Did season 1 and 2 not sell very well?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2013 2:20:13 PM PST
E. Parr says:
The long gaps between the different seasons being released has led me to wonder if neither one of the first two seasons was particularly successful when they were released on DVD. According to Amazon, season 1 was released on March 22, 2005 and season 2 was released on June 12, 2007. Now, a gap of over two years in between releases seems pretty extreme to me. Perhaps, knowing that they only had three seasons to release, Universal decided to stretch the series out as a way of building anticipation for the release of the second and third season (kind of like Disney releasing their animated classics once every seven years to build demand and anticipation for the next release). That's my optimistic opinion. I feel like a more realistic point of view is that the first season didn't sell as well as Universal was anticipating. Perhaps this made them hesitant to release the rest of the series, and the only reason they ended up releasing season two was to see if sales would improve. Perhaps they didn't, and that's why it took almost six years for season three to come out (not to mention the fact that season three was released by Shout Factory instead of Universal). Maybe Universal just didn't see enough success in the first two seasons to justify the expense of releasing the final season and if it had been up to them, season 3 would have never seen the light of day. Thank goodness Shout Factory decided to release the third season themselves. Anyway, that's my guess. What do other people think?

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 7:17:51 AM PST
I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you have seen these discs, could you tell me if they are indeed edited-for-tv type stuff? Also I hear the transfers are pretty bad.

Finally, I don't see an episode list; I looked it up at IMDB and it shows the following:

Ep1 (Oct. 1, 1978) The Last Kiss of Summer: Part 1
When Joe's fiancé is killed in a car accident, he pursues the man responsible only to find himself interfering in an undercover operation of the Justice Department.

Ep2 (Oct. 8, 1978) The Last Kiss of Summer: Part 2
Joe worms his way into Jocko's life, and Frank and Fenton Hardy persuade the Justice Department to allow his investigation to complement theirs.

Ep3 (Oct. 15, 1978) Assault on the Tower
The Hardy brothers travel to London, England in search of their missing father and stumble onto a crime wave culminating in the robbery of the century.

Ep4 (Oct. 22, 1978) Search for Atlantis
An archaeological dig appears to have found evidence for Atlantis, but a plague of threats and sabotage lead the boys to evidence of a far more recent kind.

Ep5 (Oct. 29, 1978) Dangerous Waters
The boys discover government-trained killer sharks at a secret California beach.

Ep6 (Nov. 5, 1978) Scorpion's Sting

Ep7 (Nov. 19, 1978) Defection to Paradise: Part 1
Attending a concert in Hawaii, the boys find themselves aiding another would-be defector to elude the KGB.

Ep8 (Nov. 26, 1978) Defection to Paradise: Part 2
In the conlusion to the two-part episode, David Gates, lead singer of the pop band "Bread," makes a cameo together with his band in concert in Hawaii.

Ep9 (Dec. 3, 1978) Game Plan

Ep10 (Jan. 14, 1979) Life on the Line

Any info you can provide on those episodes would be very helpful! The only one *I* remember is the "Search" one, which I thought was ok.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2013 6:21:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2013 6:22:33 AM PST
E. Parr says:
Chances are, everything you've heard about this release is true. The prints looked faded and washed out, and there are occasional scratches in the film. Now, this is not to say that they are so bad that you can't enjoy watching them. They certainly are quite watchable, you just have to get used to the fact that they look more faded out than they should. As for the episode's being edited, I'm pretty sure they are, since there are a lot of abrupt fadeouts that don't look natural, if you know what I mean. That being said, the running times for the episodes are pretty close to the running times for the first two seasons episodes, so I'm not positive about the editing. I hope this helps you. You may also find this review helpful, http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/60053/hardy-boys-season-three-the/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Hardy Boys: Season 3
The Hardy Boys: Season 3 by Shaun Cassidy (DVD - 2013)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (118)