5.0 out of 5 stars Terror in California
This has to be one of the most disturbing true-crime books I have read! It is the story of Charles Ng and Leonard Lake's extensive killing career that began in 1985. The narrative is well written and intriguing, the photos gripping. I honestly lay awake contemplating the inhumanity wrought by these two men. GREAT READ!
Published on April 30, 2000 by mjohnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Badly organized, chaotic, and not all that terrifying!
Let me clarify - the crimes detailed here are horrifying, but the author's way of relating the tale is almost boring. I found myself skimming large portions of the book, and no, I wasn't looking for the "gross parts." Unless I'm totally missing something, it seems that the stories of multiple victims of this monster are left completely untold. The author...
Published on April 8, 2001 by Suzann

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read. Hard to put it down, August 3, 2014
This review is from: Die for Me: The Terrifying True Story of the Charles Ng & Leonard Lake Torture Murders (Mass Market Paperback)
Excellent read. Hard to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied!!!, October 30, 2014
Very satisfied!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the murder victim's friend, October 21, 2010
I haven't read the book simply because one of the victim's was a friend of mine. It's just too hard and just looking at a picture of her makes me sob. I still can't believe that Charles Ng is still alive and our tax payer dollars have been supporting him for all these years. I'm sure that the information is too horrific for me to handle but it has been a great tool to teach my children about what is out there and that I loved her dearly. I will never forget her and I'm sure she reached out for the Lord during that horrific time. I hope to be reunited with her one day in heaven. Kathi....I miss you!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying yet enjoyable, August 14, 2008
M. Safoschnik "MikeShell" (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. I couldn't have giving it 5 stars for one reason. The author did a tremendous job talking about the victims and giving the reader a background to the crimes but unfortunately (and i hope i am not coming off to sick) there are no actual descriptions of the crimes. I understand that Leonard Lake is dead and Charles Ng maintains his innocence therefore there is no way to acturately tell the entire story. Overall a very good book. I finished it in a couple of days.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Little boring, April 28, 2009
I decided to read this book after seeing a documentary on TV about Ng and Lake. The book was a little borning and took me over 2 weeks to finish it {lost interest}. Some parts of the book did keep my interest and worth the read but not quite as much as I had hoped.

2.0 out of 5 stars this book was not that great, October 25, 2000
By A Customer
I found this book to be pretty disappointing. It seemed poorly organized and lacked good "flow". There are some details here but they are all jumbled up and not very powerful in the end. After seeing the Hard Copy story on these two nuts, I was scared & slightly curious. After reading this book, I am just disappointed. Hard Copy did it more effectively in 13 minutes. Sorry, this one's a strike out in my opinion. I reccommend Philip Carlo's "Night Stalker" or anything by Harold Schechter instead. These guys know how to write.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Torture Murders, October 13, 2004
A Kid's Review
I have read countless true crime books but this one is the goriest book I have read so far. Charles Ng and Leonard Lake team up and do sex crime, torture, and video tape them torturing the women. FBI found 6 bodies, a child's liver, and a sack of bones buried by Leonard Lake's lodge. This story is great but is very dreadful. I would suggest this book to anybody who is into true torture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Die for Me: Didn't Finish it..., October 12, 2000
"treachery" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I was so excited when I received this book. Couldn't wait to read it... and darn, I didn't even finish it. YAWN! Lots of killings but not enough information. Lots of evidence that people were slaughtered - pity I wasn't told about them. The cover gave me the impression that these guys were sadists and were after the ultimate sex slave, yet they killed more males than females? I gave up and the book is still sitting on the shelf with a bookmark tucked inside.

1.0 out of 5 stars bloated crud, May 20, 2001
This book is a travesty, a total, mind numbingly boring, intellegence insulting travesty.
The plain fact of the matter is that the perpetrators, Lake and Ng, were very careful in commiting their horrific crimes, and there is, therefore, very little to discuss about the case. Certainly not 400+ pages.
I read every word of this bloated mess, I'm sorry to say. The bloating is accomplished by the inclusion of tons of irrelevant information. Much of it is unnecessary incidental information, but one of the largest, and most irritating sources of bloat, is the inclusion of irrelevant biographical information.
To add insult to injury, the material relating to the families of the victims is handled in a very clumsy and insincere way. The insult to the victims is further established by the silly title of this book, this phrase is supposed to be heard whispered on the wind by the ghost of the victims and is directed towards Charles Ng with respect to receiving the death penalty.
There's some interesting material in this book, but it's completely overwhelmed by shameless filler material.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Crimes, October 13, 2004
A Kid's Review
I have read countless true crime books but this one is the goriest book I have read so far. Charles Ng and Leonard Lake team up and do sex crime, torture, and video tape them torturing the women. FBI found 6 bodies, a child's liver, and a sack of bones buried by Leonard Lake's lodge. This story is great but is very dreadful. I would suggest this book to anybody who is into true torture murders.

Used & New from: $0.01