5.0 out of 5 stars I've lost thirty-two lbs. of fat in ten weeks.
I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically recommend this book. If you are overweight, and want to do something about it, this book has the information you need to change your life for good. Know though that this is not a "diet" - it is a dietary strategy. A way of life. One which - if you embrace it, will change your life forever in very positive ways.

My...
Published on May 11, 2006 by Charles Curtis

3.0 out of 5 stars common sense food advice
As a 200lb woman, I have tried all the diets & gained back more each time. This one is basically: eliminate trans fats & high fructose corn syrup, eat fresh food & add whey protein (whey is the liquid left over from the cheese-making process).

Published on August 13, 2005 by selan

5.0 out of 5 stars I've lost thirty-two lbs. of fat in ten weeks., May 11, 2006
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)

My personal testimony: I am 6' 2" tall and 35 years old. My weight has been over 250lbs for the last few years. But I have a large frame, and my body type is primarily mesomorphic, with a strong endomorphic influence. This means I have a good deal of muscle mass and definition, but have also always carried a significant amount of fat. Anyway, my BMI was about 31 and my body fat was over 30%.

That is technically obese, though I neither felt nor looked it. I would tell people how much I weighed, and they never would believe me.

So I carried the fat well, thus I didn't particularly care. I idly thought about doing something about it. I bought the main book of this series (to which this book is a supplement) last year, but it sat on my shelf collecting dust.

Until two months ago. On March 2nd 2006, I went to the doctor's for my checkup. I got on the scale. It tipped. 263lbs. Then my blood pressure: 200/100. That's right. 200/100. Nice round numbers. I've had slightly high blood pressure for years. Always 140/80 or less. Nothing too dramatic. This new reading blew my mind. I wasn't scared, just astonished. I had it taken again that afternoon, and it came out at 169/90. I was officially suffering from hypertension.

The old clich?d wake-up call. I had been eating a lot. Not poorly, I hardly ever eat junk or processed food. But richly. Lots of cheese, desserts, bread, salt, sugar, second and third portions... no breakfasts. And wine. And gin & tonic. And bourbon. All very yummy stuff.

I was - to put it bluntly - a fat gluttonous hypertensive lush.

I went home that evening and resolved to change. I took the main book of this series off the shelf, and read it. I went out and bought a small notebook, which I christened my food journal. I recorded everything I put in my mouth for about a month. I began simultaneously phasing the principles in this book into my life.

I eat five small meals a day, 3 or at the most 4 hours apart. Each & every food choice is a deliberate one. I make the best possible choices I can, every time, knowing that each thing I put in my mouth is making me healthier and leaner. I've stopped drinking alcohol & most other caloried drinks all together. I bought a blender and have begun drinking smoothies. I eat loads of good, substantive food. Tasty food. Whole grains. Vegetables, berries & fruit. Nuts. Lean proteins- fish, chicken & beef jerky. Healthy fats like olive oil and avocado paste.

And my bodyfat has simply melted - metabolized - inexorably away. Very gracefully. I counted calories, protein, carb & fat percentages for a few weeks (which this plan does not recommend, but I felt was important for me, just so I could get a sense of what I was eating) - but did no formal exercise at all. I have been active - walking a lot (I always take stairs, do a lot of yard & house work, etc.) but have not gone out of my way to exert myself. No running. No lifting. None.

It's been just over two months on the plan. I've bought a very good scale and blood pressure monitor, and have kept daily track of my progress.

Today is May 11th, 2006. I weighed in this morning at 231 lbs. That's a loss of 32lbs, to date. My blood pressure is 127/80. It hasn't been over - or even really near 140/90 - in weeks. I'm still losing fat at a rate of about two pounds a week. I can feel my body burning it away. I feel so much better - almost euphoric at times. And I'm eating all the time. Several small portions of simple but tasty food, every three hours or so. I drink water and lightly sweetened iced tea all day. I am rarely hungry, and when I am it means it is time to eat.

I am not doing this for aesthetic reasons, but people have noticed - particularly girls - and I got to admit it's gratifying. When I finally cut my six-pack - which I expect to do by the around the end of the summer, with a little exercise - it is going to be sweet. I still have about 30lbs of fat to lose.

So, this is the deal: if you want to know how burn fat without destroying your metabolism and losing muscle, buy this series. It will require significant permanent changes in your life, probably, but the results will more than compensate. You will like what you eat, you won't starve, and you will lose fat and become healthier. It is win win win, requiring just a bit of self-awareness & discipline. Anybody can do it.

This book - almost a booklet, really - is the core of the plan. It details the dietary rules, and provides very quick & simple, good tasting recipes. I would say that you could buy this, and not bother with the other, main book and you'd have all the information you need. This book has far more recipes, and all the essential nutrition information. It's also much smaller, and so very portable - easily slipped into a glove compartment, book bag, purse, or even pocket. What it doesn't have is the workout plan. But the workout is secondary. Nutrition is over 80% of the game here.

Upshot: Buy them both, but this is to my mind the more helpful of the two.

So go, learn the principles & eat with deliberation. You will not regret it. Good luck.

Addendum: November 13, 2006:

After a summer of partial laxity during which I hovered in the low 230's (never exercising, and thus not cutting that six pack) I re- engaged fully in August, began sporadically exercising and lost another fifteen pounds, weighing in now c. 218 lbs. I've been lifting three days a week the last three weeks- the differance has been pretty immediate & dramatic.

This plan really is simple, and easy. Like I say, simple good choices, consistently made. Your reality today is just an accumulation of millions of choices. Make 90% of them well, and you will get good results. Forgive yourself for your failures, choose to be decisively slack, re- affirm your goals, and you will progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book I'm recommending to my patients and why..., April 5, 2005
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
There are a few things that all my patients who lose weight and KEEP IT OFF have in common (all made pracitcal by following the instructions in this book). I'll list a few of them below (I specialize in metabolism, endocrinology (hormones), and sexual function and have treated several thousand patients for weight loss):

1. They don't count calories for very long. Maybe as an educational exercise but eventually the maintenance plan must be easier.

2. They spread their calories out over the day (most American's eat most of their food after about 2pm...a recipe for obesity)

3. They don't go hungry. they may experience hunger but usually eat as much as they want when they do feel hunger (not whatever they want). Most people don't do well with daily, persistent, hunger.

4. They eat at least 5 times a day (small, frequent meals avoid hunger and fat storage by keeping insulin levels low).

5. They get adequate exercise. This is more important than the diet. If you follow the instructions in this hand guide (better I think than the hardback book version of the diet) you'd be walking somewhere between 20 to 25 miles per week. Unfortunately, that's about what's required for most people (not starting but working up to). That's about 30 to 60 minutes per day depending on whether you walk or jog or something in between. Most won't make time...hence 70% obesity in this country.

You'll find a few more tips listed on my review of the original hard-back version of the book. This is the diet of choice for now. No one does it perfectly. But, persist with increasing walking about 10% per week and keep learning more about application of the diet and you will eventually find your best weight.

--Charles Runels, MD

Author of "Anytime...for as Long as You Want: Strength, Genius, Libido, & Erection by Integrative Sex Transmutation (A 15-Day Course for Men to Improve Life and Sex)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Recipes!, January 3, 2005
A reader (West Chester, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
I read the first Abs Diet and had good success with it, so I got this one for the recipes since I wanted more meal options than they had in the first one. So far, I've tried 6 or 7 of them and so far they're all great. Lots of recipes (all easy) for meals, smoothies, snacks, restaurants, with good nutritional advice. Tons of info about eating, especially for the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the recipes!, December 22, 2005
David "Indiscriminate Reader" (Halethorpe, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
The Abs Diet itself is not revolutionary -- it tells you the same thing any other non-fad fitness book will tell you: eat small meals throughout the day, reduce fat (especially saturated fat), favor complex carbs (fruits, vegetables, and whole grains) over simple carbs (sugar and starch), and get lots of lean protein. The exercise recommendations, likewise, are fairly typical, but any good fitness book will provide a reasonable workout program. I am not following the "Abs Diet" program per se, but my own fitness and diet regimen is almost identical to it. So, why did I buy this book?

First, it gives you a helpful list of 10 "power foods" you should eat plenty of. Start including more and more of these in your diet, and cutting out the fat (especially trans-fat) and sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup) and you are already eating a vastly healthier diet.

Second, it gives you a long list of restaurant/fast food selections that are healthy, or at least less unhealthy than the alternatives. (Personally I avoid fast food altogether and I now know enough about nutrition that I don't really need the guide, but for people just learning about what's healthy to eat and what's not, it's nice to have a side-by-side comparison saying "Buy this and not that.")

However, the reason I really like this book is that it has a bunch of easy, lean, filling recipes that I use over and over! These are very easy "guy" recipes requiring simple ingredients and not much time, and they are surprisingly delicious. I make mini-pizzas with whole wheat pita bread and nonfat ricotta cheese, tenderloin steaks cooked with raspberries and garlic, three-bean ground turkey chili (I just throw everything in a crock pot overnight), chicken wraps, "Alfredo" pasta (actually salmon and nonfat/lowfat ricotta cheese), and lots of other things from this book that I would never have thought of on my own. They are all high in lean protein and complex carbs, low in fat and sugar. The section on smoothies (great for breakfast or post-workout) is worth the price alone -- I never thought of all the things you can combine in a blender. (If you exercise heavily and need added protein, you can just use more protein powder than the recipes call for, and I reduce fat by using skim milk or nonfat yogurt instead of lowfat.)

This little book is a great, convenient size. I keep it in my kitchen all the time. The rest of the book is nice, but I bought it for the recipes and keep it around for that reason. (The cover is also made of thick heavy stock, which is nice since it resists damage from water and food splatters.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, January 27, 2005
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
I almost did not buy this book because the reviews I read said it didn't have much info in it. I totally disagree - it has more info on exactly what food to eat while doing this way of eating. I certainly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars a way to live, January 17, 2005
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
as a single person, i finally found recipes that i follow, that

make sense, and are simpple. i feel like i have a new life. no

need to pound down 3 burritos or 2 star burgers on the way home.

i did not read the first book and found this one to be all i need.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the book you need ..., January 14, 2005
Motor City Madman (Manhattan Beach, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
I loved this edition, as I want or need to read the origins of the diet, how dieting works, etc. etc. If you need that, might not be the book for you.

What I was REALLY after was more about the specifics on meal ideas, recipes, exercises, etc. Understanding the acronym of what ABS DIET stood for is nice (, but needed more practical ideas of how to apply them. That is typically what is lacking in the first releases of the main books on these subjects.

I travel a lot, and keep this in my briefcase as a quick reference of the foods you should eat at particular restaurants (even broken out by niche and name), or the "lesser of two evils".

I especially enjoyed the examples of how to survive the holiday dinners (what to eat, what not to eat), super bowl parties, etc.

p.s. Amazing way to approach eating, eating every two hours. Eat good food, and there is a lot of it. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABS Diet - Fantastic, May 11, 2005
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
This book is written in order for men to follow it --- Ladies...it is a breeze to follow in comparison to all the other marketing scams and endless recipes that are out there. This is not a diet but a way of life. It teaches you to cut through all of the junk at the grocery store and buy what your body really needs. I also recommend watching "Supersized" - you will think twice about what is going into your body from fast food joints.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide to change your life!, January 14, 2006
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)
I started by accident when I stumbled on this book about one year ago.

I had just decided it was time to do something about my health. I had just joined the gym at the time too.

I read the book and did everything he suggested/recommended and it worked like a charm.

My body fat melted away at the rate of 1-2 lbs per week. In 8 months I lost about 40 lbs of fat and brought my body fat down from a starting point of 24% to the current 9.5% !

I have never been this fit in my life. I am 52 yr old male. I do incorporate the activities at the gym 3 times per week , as I have for the last year.

I can eat like this for the rest of my life.

He gives quite a few basic nutrition facts and how-your-body-metabolizes food information presented in a very fun, and simple manner.

The best part- no calorie counting, no counting carbs, etc. Just food and portion awareness. I eat 5-6 times every day.

The hardest part for me was remembering to eat throughout the day in the beginning.

If you are serious about doing something good for your health and fitness, this book is a great way to go. It opened my eyes.

Boca Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars common sense food advice, August 13, 2005
selan (Jacksonville, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide (Paperback)

The few testimonials by women were by one who only had to lose 25lbs, and an aside mention of wives who happened to lose a little along with their hubbies (most of whom were all active already).

Some of the excercizes I cannot do at all(squat-thrust, push-ups, Superman, and others that require lying on one's stomach or back or jumping around). The excercizes are not complex, and would be easily performed by a smaller version of me... I realize this was written by a men's magazine editor, but I was anxious to get started and couldn't wait for the women's version from Rodale books to arrive. Hopefully the women's version will be more helpful, but in the meantime, at least the "diet" part is sensible.

This book seems like it would be good for those with less than 50lbs to lose and are somewhat active already. The food advice is good for anyone.

The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide
The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide by David Zinczenko (Paperback - January 5, 2005)
$8.99 $8.77