Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Difference between Collector's and "regular" edition guides

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 8:00:14 AM PST
J. B. says:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two versions of this guide? The collector's edition appears to have 100 more pages than the "regular" edition, but Amazon does not yet list the collector's edition of the guide for preorder.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 4:17:51 PM PST
if you find out post it im still waiting to see if this is going to be in paperback since dont really care about the hardcover and would rather save a few bucks. dont tell me they're going to start omitting stuff in guides unless you get the "collectors edition"

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 6:38:03 PM PST
I don't get it where are you guys finding a "regular" edition because these are only guides on amazon that are by future press that I'm seeing.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 5:19:20 PM PST
J. B. says:
The listing for this guide - listed at 400 pages - is under ISBN-13 978-3869930572. There is another listing here on Amazon for a 500-page "collector's edition" guide under ISBN-13 978-3869930565. I would just like to know what the difference is between the two. Perhaps the latter is not showing up under the Future Press listing that you are looking at, because Amazon is not yet reflecting the collector's edition as available for preorder...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 8:38:12 PM PST
I remember the Dark Souls Guide had Collectors Edition in it's title as well now it doesn't. I'm guessing that's probably a unofficial second old link for the guide and this is the official one. I'm not sure though but I doubt Future Press would do two hardcover guides and just 100 pages more to the other one that'd be a first. I think if there were two Future Press would have said that earlier but we'll see.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 3:11:26 AM PST
J. B. says:
Thanks, D. Wright. Unfortunately, when I posed a similar question to Amazon, it was suggested to me that I contact Future Press instead. I wish that Amazon could clear up this situation with their own listings...

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 1:46:42 AM PST
Basically the guide has been set up and described differently on the US and UK Amazon sites. It is the same book ( both US and European ISBN'S are printed on the back) but page count is now likely to be nearer 500 pages which is reflected on the UK site.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 4:15:17 AM PST
J. B. says:
Matthew - I think you're probably right. FYI - Here is some information that was sent to me by Future Press to answer my question:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
We are still working hard on finishing the Kingdoms of Amalur guide and it's hard to say how many pages it will have, when it's finished.

There will be two versions of the guide. One for the US market and one for the UK market. Both will be identical and the only difference will be the cover.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 7:52:20 AM PST
So I guess this means that the other link is a unofficial or fake one and there is no special collector's edition guide. Just one book for the US.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 11:48:11 AM PST
carnage says:
no, that can't be it.

the Collector's edition guide (on amazon) is the one that the official reckoning facebook page linked on it's wall, weeks ago.

This "regular" edition was not even up at the time, but for whatever reason the "regular edition" got the go ahead to pre-order first.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 12:32:15 PM PST
The link for the supposed "regular edition" was posted by Future Press themselves on their facebook page as soon as they announced it was available for pre order and this was on Jan. 9. It also shows on their facebook page where they even said on Dec. 27 that the US guide would be available for pre order soon.

So I don't know exactly how many weeks that "collector's edition" link as been up. Either way Future Press as apparently already confirmed that there is only one guide the US is getting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 1:16:22 AM PST
Yes, there is only one book for the US and it is exactly the same as the one being printed in Europe. It has been called a Collector's Edition in Europe to help identify its quality and the fact it will only be printed once with no second print.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 6:21:45 AM PST
carnage says:
hmm, well only has the "CE" guide posted on there site (500 pages); with the same isbn as the CE on that isbn is different from the "regular" edition. So, all of this is rather confusing...

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 6:26:47 AM PST
carnage says:
the "CE" on has a isbn that matches the isbn for the "CE" on amazon canada and amazon US and they all show 500 pages.

The only odd ball here is this edition on amazon US that is NOT labeled as a "CE" has 400 pages and has a different isbn...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 6:34:22 AM PST is the definitive answer . I know as I am importing it into the UK
9783869930565 - is the version being sold in the UK

9783869930572 - is the version being sold in the US

They will have identical information , page count, hardback etc. . Just different isbns because of them being sold in different areas of the world .
It is being called a Collectors Edition in the UK to differentiate between a normal paperback guide and a hardback guide.

There is no paperback guide being sold for this game any where in the world

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 10:16:27 AM PST
Thank you matthew and people were actually thinking there was going two hardback copies for the US and the only difference between them was that one was going to have 100 pages more.

I've never know any guide company to do that so it didn't make much sense to me. You've basically just said what Future Press already confirmed but for some reason I guess people were still skeptical. Hope this finally ends the confusion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 1:16:59 AM PST
Sorry in addition , it is saying 500 pages on the European edition as the page count has increased . There is still no definitive final page count as the guide is still being worked on but it will be nearer 500 than 400. You will find this is replicated on the US edition when it is released .

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 5:22:51 PM PST
Z. Shuman says:
Actually, CE versions of guides regularly have higher page counts. The bonus content is what makes it a Collectors Edition. Artwork, interviews, developer strategies are just an example of the materials put in them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 6:14:58 PM PST
Some don't some do, it actually depends on how close the guide company works with the the developers when making the guide (which as been confirmed already that Future Press is doing this). Regular strategy guides though come with this stuff as well so it's not just always exclusive to Collector's Edition guides. This guide comes with all that though as it says in the product description.

"Explore Beyond
Get deep into the world of Amalur with our exclusive story timeline and selection of beautiful concept atwork and sketches, and an in-depth interview with the visionaries behind the game."

So like it's been said before we are getting all the stuff that the UK guide is getting, just because our official guide link doesn't have "Collector's Edition" in it's title doesn't mean that it isn't the same guide. Like I said before the Dark Souls guide was labeled as Collector's Edition before it's released but now it's not. Also imo Future Press really isn't greedy as often as prima, brady and even piggybank since they don't frequently try to charge 30 to 40 dollars for a hardcover guide and seem more willing just charge for one at a fair price.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 10:55:17 AM PST
is now 600pp but delayed

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 9:43:11 AM PST
Gamestop's website is saying that the guide will ship on the 16th.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 12:17:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012 12:21:00 AM PST
Earthbound_X says:
The version at The Book Depository says it's 500 pages, while the one here at Amazon says it's 600 pages.

Edit: I've removed the link, since I have a feeling Amazon wouldn't like that, since it's a competitor and all. Google it if you want.

The Book Depository version is also cheaper. I picked it up for less then 22 bucks with no tax and free shipping.
I ordered the Future Press guide for Dark Souls from them, and it's the same guide in both the US and the UK.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 6:15:09 AM PST
J. B. says:
Fascinating - Amazon recently increased their price on this item to $26.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 4:59:37 PM PST
JMAN311 says:
The price went up when the amount of content changed. It was originally showing 400 pages, but I'm sure that was just an early estimated count. Now it's looking to be a 600 page item. This may be due to the new House of Valor quests that are coming out on release day as DLC. There is a code included in the packaging of the game for it. It might also be the reason for the delay of the guides release.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:53:14 PM PST
Hey Jason! Thanks for the TIP!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning The Official Guide
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning The Official Guide by Future Press (Hardcover - February 24, 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars (86)