Difference between an Upgrade and "Full Version" Hello everyone, I have brand new VAIO and waiting for upgrade from MS after 10/22 and wondering if it will be possible to format/install from the upgrade cd of the upcoming OS7? Since I don't want to upgrade it from Vista.
asked by Pavel Proshin on October 12, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 answers
A
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 30, 2009 7:51:56 AM PST]

A
Sorry, maybe I was unclear previously. My Vaio is coming with preinstalled vista home premium and I have an opportunity to upgrade it to win7 when it comes out. So the thing is that I want to format the hard drive and install the upgrade CD with win7 as a brand new system. Not to upgrade but clean installation.
Pavel Proshin answered on October 12, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 30, 2009 7:51:56 AM PST]

A
you can do a clean installation with the upgrade cd, just choose the "custom" option instead of "upgrade" when you are asked during installation and choose to install it on the same driver your vista is installed on (drive C by default) this will allow a clean installation of win 7 replacing your vista and will also make a folder named "windows.old" containing all your vista settings and details. you can later delete this folder by just right clicking on the driver "C" then "properties" then "disk cleanup" and check the box next to "previous windows version" and now you have a clean installation.
Mohamed Gamea answered on October 12, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've never installed an Operating System before and when I saw the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for 119.99 I wondered Upgrade from what ?.... is that all I to install Windows 7 on my laptop now running Vista SP1 ? Or do I need the 199.00 Green box... I have movies I purchased from Amazon I'd like to save ....no documents, pictures, music etc. Should I uninstall Rhapsody and then re install Rhapsody after the upgrade ?
Kindle Customer answered on October 13, 2009

A
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 30, 2009 7:53:56 AM PST]

A
For people that buy a computer now and are getting a free upgrade to windows 7. Be advised that you will most likely get a disk with the same version and bit width as your Vista install. That means that if you have Vista Home Premium 32 bit pre-installed then you are most likely going to get Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Please confirm with the manufacturer about this.

Now for the process. You can upgrade your preinstalled version of Vista. All you need to do is start Vista. Insert the appropriate Windows 7 disk for what bit width you want when you are done (32 or 64). To perform a straight upgrade you need to use the same bit width and be going to the same or higher version of Windows 7. If you want to perform a clean install or you are changing from 32 bit to 64 bit or are going from a higher version of Vista (i.e. Ultimate) to a lower version of Windows 7 (i.e. Home Premum) select Custom install.

If performing a Custom install and after the first reboot you will have the option to work with your hard drives and partitions. If you do not format the drive (that vista is installed on) and chose to install Windows 7 on that drive setup will rename your current windows directory to (I don't remember the name of the folder but it puts Users, Program Files, Program Data and Windows into this dir). If you format the drive first you will be erasing your previous version of windows so use caution. If you choose to install to a different partion or drive you will create a dual-boot configuration and will be able to boot to either Windows 7 and the older OS (note: there is a license consideration here if you are using an upgrade disk).
BW answered on October 13, 2009
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sorry if just asking the same again - it surprised me:
Does that mean the full and the upgrade differs the license only? Whatever media you get, you have exactly same procedures/techniques to install?
Tarik Johnson answered on October 21, 2009

A
There may be other minor differences with the install process only. Like the Upgrade may require a previous version be installed and that you start the upgrade while logged into the previous OS.
BW answered on October 21, 2009

A
If you going from 32-bit Windows Vista to 64-bit Windows 7 you won't be able to run the 64-bit disk in 32-bit Windows. It will give you a error saying you have to boot from the DVD if you want to install it. Once you boot from the DVD then you can run the setup and choose custom. I did not format the drive because I was not sure if it would take the upgrade key. After Windows 7 64-bit was installed I just deleted the Windows.old folder and a couple of folders that were not archived but did not need. It is running fine.
Tony Ramirez answered on October 26, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product