5.0 out of 5 stars This Aspie Approves
Published on December 21, 2012 by ReadChanges

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult witch
Published on January 8, 2013 by BarbaraC

5.0 out of 5 stars This Aspie Approves, December 21, 2012
This review is from: A Different Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
Debora Geary proves yet again that she is one of the best modern fantasy writers. Once again her community and characters feel like real people-- individuals with strengths, flaws, and believable dialogues. (And lots of really yummy sounding junk food!) In this installment of the Modern Witch series, Geary touches on a subject often shunned by writers-- an adult on the autism spectrum, specifically with Asperger's (high functioning autism). She doesn't sugar coat it, romanticize it, or condemn it-- she addresses it realistically and has a broad spectrum of reactions to this individual within this community. As an adult with Asperger's I felt she handled this subject matter well. Her character is not precisely like me, though we overlap on some things, but she also is careful to point out that no two cases are the same in regards to autism. I did at times feel like the character was almost falling into some of the stereotypes of people with autism, but she managed not quite to slip into that (such as the photographic memory for maps and OCD behaviors that are what most people recognize as autism, but is not always the case in real life.) The subject matter was handled beautifully, and the story itself is one about love, tolerance, seeing people's strengths, and learning to understand ones own weaknesses-- especially for those used to being strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story, December 22, 2012
I'm so glad Debora Geary wrote this book. She approaches the subject of Aspergers and autism in general in a very warm and caring way. But as interesting as it was to see Beth Landler (who we met in A Modern Witch) handle both her Aspergers and magic, I was so much more interested in watching Nell deal with a witch that was so very different from herself. Nell has been so much the backbone of these stories that it was fascinating to watch her unravel and then grow into a much stronger and understanding human being. Nell is a warrior and through Beth she learned a new way to champion those she loves. Beth learned of the joy of magic in a community and a reinforced belief that even though she is different she also has much to offer to the world and the community of witches in particular. This was a very satisfying read and one I was unable to put down until finished. My favorite line in this edition is not actually in the story itself, but in the page following where Ms. Geary states "I plan to write witchy books for years yet!" I certainly hope she does and I can hardly wait until March and the next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Master storyteller strikes fire again!, December 21, 2012
I have loved Debora's books and have always had high praise for the fact she is a master of her craft! This book gives me a new and deeper insight into her ability! I am not nor have I ever been a man who had sympathy for those who will not stand on their own feet. Last night I came to understand that there are those who's fight is not public or visible to most of the world. It does not make them less of a fighter nor when they break does it make it less of a tradigity! But for some fighters getting out of bed will be a major victory and for them I can only have respect!

Thanks for the insight into a world I rarely am in contact. It is however a real world and deserves our acknowledgment and respect! Oh, also thanks for a rollicking good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Socially Relevant, but too Short, December 21, 2012
Ms. Geary brings a few characters into the soul of this book that we have briefly met before. First is Jacob, a boy with Autism, and Tabitha, (a mind witch) who works with him. Also, Lauren, (a mind witch too with the added ability to "read" empathy). There is great progress being made with Jacob due to hard work as well as magic - something every one of us non-witches need to remember - we too can provide and help. Lauren and Tabitha just give it a bump.
Those of us, who wish we were a part of Witch Central, need to be be reminded that there is a place for us to make a difference in the world.
We re-visit Beth, Liriel, Mellie and Margaret, and a newcomer to their circle, Alyssa.Together they create a Coven of witches in Chicago, shocked to their core when Jamie showed up and knocked their world on it's rump. Fortunately, though difficult, The coven is struggling to make sense of their new roles- and thus comes the title: A Different Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 5).
Moira is he family Irish Crone/Matriarch who can't be entirely controlled and between her wishes and a software malfunction they use their 'fetching spell' again. The spell is created in the first of the series (A Modern Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 1)) and brings inadvertently, and uninvited, Beth, from Chicago, to Berkley for one of the Walker's famous parties. Of course chaos ensues as Beth tries to get her bearings. We get a surprise here (which I won't reveal) but it ultimately brings Tabitha into the mix. Also, Luckily, Lauren chooses Beth as "hers" to oversee and protect.
On the happy side, we get a visit from Lizard, Matt and Teo from the accompanying series (A Reckless Witch) and a few other, known, characters pop into the story line. Effectively tying all the books together. As Ms. Geary suggests; you will get the most out of the stories if you read both series in order: first, The Modern Witch Series then the Witch Light books. You can follow this story, but without the back story filled in (with the other 7 books) you will be lost at certain points.
Unlike earlier books, "A Different Witch" deals in ethics, both within the witching community and without. Witches must face up to their poor (if well intentioned) choices and see the havoc a spur-of-the-moment choice can make on an individual. Also. Ms. Geary deals sensitively and tenderly with the differences of people in our society. She reminds us that not all minds work the same. And that isn't detrimental. It makes a fuller, richer world. She also reminds us that non-witches have our duties, and place, in creating a world of change and acceptance for all.
I'm not going to give away anymore plot-line. Because you will get the most from reading it yourself, not just a summary here. There is the expected big circle on the solstice, with it's amazing magic and all the wonderful things we expect from Ms. Geary.
Overall, this might be one of the best, most socially relevant books she has written. The book feels to short but is probably the right length for the story. Nothing feels left out, or cropped. I just wish it could keep me in Witch Central longer.
This story ends with a circle in Nova Scotia, a dragon (real, but small) and the expansion of Witch Central from Berkeley and Nova Scotia to Chicago, at least in the warm summer months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully sad, December 25, 2012
Rated. 5 stars because it made me laugh and cry and I read the entire book in 1setting and now I'll have to wait for several months for the next book and I can't wait I'll probably pull out the old books and read them all again for the fourth or who knows how many times. I love the books

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult witch, January 8, 2013
Beth Landler was a minor character in the first book of this series, A Modern Witch. This time around, however, she has the starring role. While she may be a believable character to readers who are familiar with Asperger's (which I am not), I didn't find her to be very likeable throughout most of the book. Even though Witch Central laid out the usual welcome mat, Beth wasn't an easy or comfortable guest, and I would have been quite happy for her to go back to Chicago and stay there so the rest of Witch Central could get on with planning Aerwyn's and Kenna's birthday bash! As in previous books, however, interacting with the new witch on the block gave the regulars an opportunity for character development, and by the end of the book, Beth was also making an effort to increase her comfort zone with them. At that point, my own character as a reader had developed and I had greater respect and empathy for her. While this isn't my favorite book in the series, I appreciate that Debora is taking her characters and readers on a journey with twists and turns and bumps in the road, instead of churning out "cookie cutter" novels that recycle the same plot book after book.

4.0 out of 5 stars great price, but only a good not great book in a great series, January 5, 2013
I love the Modern Witch Series. Do not start with this book though. You must start with the first book to truly get engaged in witch central. I can see the author trying to create empathy and understanding for people like Beth Landler, with functional low level autism. But in so doing she lost the joy of life of the previous books. There were few moments where you wanted to laugh or cry. This story just never touched me.

The author owed a followup after Jamie crashed a group on low level witches trying to peformmagic in Chaicago . But the followup lacked empathy and did not bring in the characters we had all loved from previous novels enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet, December 28, 2012
All of the author's Witch series books focus on relationships - of family, friends and community, and this new entry into the series is no different. I look forward to visiting the quirky, charming and loving core characters that appear in each book, plus it was great to get a brief reintroduction to Lizard from Witches in Flight.

Our somewhat new witch in this book, Beth, has Aspergers. This book focuses on her journey of self discovery to get fire witch training. Beth is used to learning by herself, and the cozy group environment of witch central throws her into panic mode. It is also a journey of self discovery for the core characters of witch central as they learn work with and to love a witch very different from themselves.

Normally reading Debora's books are a joyful experience for me. This one was not. I found most of it to be very painful reading. Of course it is very well written, as all her books are, but I did miss being able to immerse myself in the pure escapism her books have always given me before. Thank goodness the ending had some happy moments.

This is not a standalone book. Please read the books of the Modern Witch series in order. I recommend that you sample a book first, so that you can make sure it is to your taste before purchasing. Reviews are subjective.

I received this book as a gift from the author. There was NO requirement to write a positive review as a condition of receiving the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even get me started about this author, unless....., December 26, 2012
Unless you have hours and hours to sit and listen while I rave about her books. Debora Geary is one of the best authors around today. Her witch stories are funny, serious, well tended, and insightful. Imagine having a child who can scorch the ceiling because they throw fire balls around (ones they've created in their tiny little hands) the way anyone else plays a game of catch. Cookies and ice cream and pasta rule in their world. I think I gain 5 pounds every time I read one of her books because they are always eating chocolate. Each story has a strong message about dealing with people and their talent or lack of talent. Each story has the guidance of another wiser and kind person with their own special talents. Run, don't walk to the bookstore to get anything you can by Debora Geary. It helps to start with her first book so you can understand how it is that Witch Central can zap a person into their living room from another state, or another country for that matter! This is one of the most imaginative authors alive right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will not disappoint!!, December 26, 2012
Once again Debora Geary took me into her wonderful world of modern day witches. I was so happy to meet Nell, Lauren, Jamie, Nat, Moira and even briefly Lizard again and be surrounded by the Sullivan/Walker clan. I loved Beth and seeing the world through her eyes as an Aspie. You once again brought a tear to my eye (twice actually) in this book. I do hope Lauren and Devon have a baby very soon and we get to read all about it!! There were a quite a few hints that this was on the cards. Thank you Debora for sharing your world again.