4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, Impressive
Great for learning. Poor for reference.

Published on July 10, 2007 by Leicester Dedlock

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and not quite worth it
Published on December 3, 2010 by TherinOak

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, Impressive, July 10, 2007
Leicester Dedlock (Ames, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
Great for learning. Poor for reference.

This book is unique. Most differential equations textbooks simply provide formulae for different types of problems, but you don't really see the big picture. This book lets you see the big picture, but omits many of the most useful formulae that you may need in your career. This for that. It would be nice to see a book with the best of both worlds, but if you simply want to learn and understand the topic, this book is the way to go. Also, there is a good emphasis on qualitative and numerical techniques. Students often feel like they get less out of a mathematics class when qualitative and numerical techniques are emphasised over more analytic approaches. However, those of us who have worked in the "real world" know that the qualitative and numerical techniques are probably even more important. I have worked as a research statistician and my research areas emphasise computing. When I'm presented with real problems and real data (which, in my career, usually comes in large, unmanageable quantities), do I usually pull out my notebook and tackle the problem in a very precise manner, working out an exact solution? No, quite often I cannot realistically do that. Now I'll admit that I don't use much from this particular field on the job, but it still applies. Moving on, I must also mention that the book does a very good job at explaining these qualitative and numerical techniques in addition to things that are more analytic, although it is sometimes a little too verbose.

Regarding applications, the book covers a lot of fields and does put a big emphasis on applications. Physics, biology (especially population growth models), and electrical/computer engineering receive the most treatment. Overall, I would say that the book does an excellent job at including plenty of applications and choosing meaningful ones.

I don't have much to say about the exercises. Most aren't too contrived and they mixed up the difficulty fairly well. However, I would have liked to see more "hard" problems.

In summary, I'd recommend that you pick up a different book if you need a reference for work or research, but pick this one up if you actually want to learn and UNDERSTAND the basics of differential equations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, June 17, 2013
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
I bought this book with its accompanying CD as a companion to the superb DVD presentation on DE by one of its authors. "The Great Courses" video taught me lot more about DE than the courses I'd taken in the 50s and 60s. Wow! There's been a lot of progress in computer-based teaching as well as in mathematics. I simply wanted a hard-copy coupled with the capability to generate similar graphics on my laptop. The book plus CD provides that. So I'm very happy with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very detailed book for explinations, September 1, 2009
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
This book was very good at explaining all the situations I needed to cover. It provided detailed analysis of various problems that are applicable in every day life. The additional problems at the back of each chapter covered a wide range of difficulty levels and skills.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and not quite worth it, December 3, 2010
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
If you're buying this textbook because you'd like to learn differential equations, don't. The textbook isn't big on step by step explanations and there are few example cases and there's a lot of magical "and then this complicated equation becomes this simple one and we're assuming you can work that out!". It's annoying. The answer section in the back also does not have an explanations at all, just the answer.

I have a special view on this book though, because my professor who taught me Differential Equations, Robert Devaney, is one of the authors. The man is quite humorous, and so are his fellow authors, who frequently crack jokes in the book and questions at the end of the chapter. Differential Equations will make you smile. The only other good thing about this book is the software - some of it is very helpful in understanding the concepts and it is very easy to use.

Overall, if you don't need this textbook, don't buy it. If you do need this textbook, I swear you will only be using it to see what the homework problems are, so see if your library has a copy, or split the cost with a friend.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book needs less talk, more examples, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
As a college student, I don't really have a choice, nor do I normally care, what textbook is assigned for a certain class. For my entire math sequence from Calc I - Multivariable calculus I have used Stewart's Early Transcendentals and until I got this book for Differential, I never realized how well set up Stewart's Calculus textbook was. This differential book does not have clearly outlined example problems within the chapter that you can look at without reading through the text carefully. It was difficult to do the chapter homework problems without these easy to find examples to take you through it step by step. The derivation and life story of each equation is mostly irrelevant when it comes to passing an exam. I just want to know how to handle each problem and unique situation. Perhaps one should buy the solutions manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped a lot, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
I had a relatively good experience with this book in the class that I used it for. Our professor was a real #%&$! and he wasn't that great at explaining the different concepts. I found myself coming back to this book countless times for clarification and help. Never let me down.

I'll admit that the format was a bit funky as far as introducing theorems and such, but overall, the problems were good for practicing and it was a life-saver for the final.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, February 4, 2014
It's a required book for my class. It is pretty helpful.

The seller said it had no marks in it and it had the CD. It had marks in it and did not have the cd.

Please like this comment if you found it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buttloads better than the official text for my course, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
Though it doesnt have everything, it is very readable and presents the material in an intuitive way.

the cd it comes with is bomb diggity also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to current approach to Differential Equations, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
Provides a very good introduction to a qualitative approach to Differential Equations. My only concern is that one needs to turn a lot of pages to learn what I wanted to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars reference, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)
I used part of this book in one of my classes. We only used the Linear Algebra part of it, and the book did a good job explaining it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Differential Equations (with CD-ROM)
Differential Equations (with CD-ROM) by Glen R. Hall (Hardcover - September 19, 2005)
Used & New from: $59.95