Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on November 10, 2001
There's no question that when Ritchie Blackmore replaced Graham Bonnett with Joe Lynn Turner that Ritchie was seeking the breakthrough success in the U.S. market that had been eluding him. While the earliest Dio-era Rainbow albums were definitely hard rock and the one Bonnett-sung disc showed more commercial tendencies, this first Turner disc shows definite radio-friendly touches (dare one call it "pop-rock"?)
With that said, one thing that has always impressed me about Blackmore is his ability to craft great parts for the songs he plays on. While Ritchie isn't normally thought of as a great rhythm guitarist, his rhythm parts usually fit very nicely. And his solos? Well, Ritchie is definitely one of the best soloists in rock. Even if he only gets 8 bars for a solo, he'll make a memorable statement.
While a lot of knocks are made against this record for its pop leanings, some people seem to forget the two instrumentals contained on DTC. First is "Vielleicht Das Nachter Zeit" which is a superb piece featuring some great slide playing (for which Ritchie doesn't get enough credit). The melodies so perfectly fit the mood of the piece, given the title. When I first started playing guitar, I thought that this piece really demonstrated what "speaking through a guitar" really meant. The second instrumental is a take on Beethoven's 9th symphony called, "Difficult to Cure". It's really a great instrumental and would be a long-time feature of Rainbow's live shows. In fact, a version recorded with the Tokyo symphony appears on "Finyl Vinyl".
In all, it's a poppier Rainbow but Ritchie still shines. There's a lesson there, I believe.
on February 8, 2006
After Ronnie James Dio left the band, Rainbow started to make more radio-friendly music. When I heard 'Down To Earth' I was very disapointed by Rainbow. The album was so much weaker then the Rainbow albums with Dio. So when this album came out I didn't want to buy it. When I heard that Rainbow had another singer again I was very curious, so I bought the album and I liked it very much. Joe Lynn Turner is a great vocalist, much better then Graham Bonnet.

All the songs are great on this album. It starts off with 'I Surrender', that was a very popular hit and it's a great song. It isn't a rock song, it's a pop song, but that doesn't matter, I also like pop, but when I buy a Rainbow album I expect some rock. Well, the second song (Spotlight Kid) is a great hardrock song! The instrumental part is great! Great guitarsolo and keyboardsolo! The rest of the album is also fantastic. The guitarsolo of 'Midtown Tunnel Vision' is one of the best together with the guitarsolo of 'Spotlight Kid'. The instrumental song 'Difficult To Cure' is a great song to end the album. It is a cover of Beethovens 9th.

So if you like rock music, then you should buy this. It's a great album and surely the best rainbow album with Joe Lynn Turner. Not the best of all Rainbow albums, cause nothing tops the Dio years. So buy this if you like rock! I hope this review was helpful to you...
First Rainbow singer was Ronnie James Dio, which is just my favorite singer all time. Then Graham bennot came, an average singer. The songs on 'Down to Earth' are not bad, but I didn't liked his voice so very much. But after all that: 'Difficult to Cure'! I love that album! There are some poppish songs, but I don't mind. I love those songs. Joe Lynn Turner is a very good singer(better then Bennot). The guitar work is also very good. Ritchie Blackmore(best guitarist ever) plays as good as usualy. The keyboardplay is very good too, listen to 'Spotlight Kid' and you know why. My favorite songs on this album are: 'I Surrender', 'Spotlight Kid', 'No Release' and 'Can't Happen here'. the other songs are very good too. Except for 'Vielleicht Das Nachste Mal'. That song is a bit boring, listenable, bit a bit boring. I like the instrumental song 'Difficult to Cure'. That's a cover of beethovens 9th.

Well well, I hope I helped you with my review. I really recommend this album to anyone. If you know rainbow or if you dont know rainbow, it doesn't matter, just buy this album.
11 comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2006
This is my favorite Rainbow album of the Joe Lynn Turner era. It is more pop then the Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio, but is that a bad thing? NO! It ain't a bad thing if the songs are good. And it is still rock music, it ain't just pop. Joe Lynn Turner has a great voice and Ritchie Blackmore is the best guitarist ever. The other bandmembers are great too. SO buy this if you like some good rock music and ignore the one-star review beneath me.
on March 31, 2012
Rainbow "Difficult To Cure" #50 (1981)

After the "Down To Earth" tour , Rainbow would again make some line-up changes, Ritchie brought in drummer Bobby Rondinelli, keyboardist David Rosenthal and new vocalist Joe Lynn Turner. (Since Rainbow, Bobby has worked Quiet Riot, Black Sabbath, Sun Red Sun and Blue Oyster Cult.
David Rosenthal did session work with Yngwie Malmsteen , Cyndi Lauper and work with Billy Joel and is now keyboardist with Happy the Man. Joe Lynn, did a solo album and filled in for an album with Deep Purple in the 90's).
This album "Difficult To Cure", is Rainbow's 5th studio release, a lot of people find this a Rainbow sell out, but I find it to be one of Ritchie's strongest guitar albums. Fans of Dio's Rainbow really don't care for Joe Lynn Turner's "sing the phone book" vocals. On this album you get the Russ Ballard tune "I Surrender" #19 MSR, that Rainbow made their own. "Spotlight Kid", dazzling guitar rocker with great vocals by Turner. The instrumental "Vielleict Das Nasehste Mal (Maybe Next Time)", reminds me of Jeff Beck on this one. "Can't Happen Here", is as strong as it gets, solid. "Freedom Fighter", another strong song with a fine keyboard workout by Don Airey. "Midtown Tunnel Vision", brings to mind Jimi Hendrix on this one, Ritchie burning the threads. The album closes with the title track which used the beginnings of Beethoven's Ninth, great stuff! They would release an EP in mid-81 with a new song "Jealous Lover", #13 MSR, a very strong single. They would release the gold selling "Straight Between The Eyes", next.
33 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 1998
In the late 70's and early 80's, Ritchie Blackmore abandoned the "medieval" theme of earlier Rainbow incarnations and replaced it with unpretentious, straight-ahead rock and roll with commercial overtones and just enough melodious sprinklings to keep things interesting. Rainbow's two best and most consistent albums were the culmination of this effort. "Difficult to Cure (1981)", like its predecessor "Down to Earth (1979)", contains no weak songs; rather, many strong ones with some a bit stronger than others. The best song on the album is "Maybe Next Time", a dreamy instrumental highlighted by a brilliant climax of guitar notes bursting in melodic splendor, before Blackmore pulls back the reigns and takes us out slowly. "Can't Happen Here" opens with a jolting quick splattering of notes and then settles into a powerful, chord-driven rocker with a raw, live feel to it. "I Surrender" showcases the smooth-flowing, melodic style characteristic of some of Blackmore's solos of that period. "Spotlight Kid" features an unusual, Russian-folk-songish riff - certainly unexpected for a hard rock song but a refreshing touch nonetheless. "No Release" builds into a no-holds-barred finale with Blackmore going berserk. "Magic" sounds like a commercial FM radio hit with a short but soaring solo from Blackmore. "Difficult to Cure" is what Beethoven's Ninth Symphony would sound like if Beethoven played electric guitar - then again, maybe not, because nobody plays the guitar like Blackmore, which is precisely what this album is all about.
on March 17, 2003
When Joe Lynn Turned came onboard, Rainbow's approach really changed into a lighter and more commercial hard rock style (even `tho the previous "Down to earth" sure had some light moments). "Difficult to cure" is a very good album even `tho I prefer the Ronnie James Dio-era, and it's absolutely better than the following "Straight between the eyes". On this album you get to hear the amazing "Spotlight kid" (just listen to the excellent solo part), the radio friendly tracks "I surrender", "No magic", "Freedom fighter" and "Can't happen here". You are also in for some classical music, since the band is doing a cover (?) of Beethoven's nine symphony. All aspects included, this is a solid rock effort worth having!
on July 1, 2010
I love how people knock this album because it got airplay or its too commercial. Face it, this is the best they ever did. No kings or knights or dragons, give me a break. I really love the Dio years but come on JLT smokes Dio(RIP) in vocal ability. Cant Happen here is fantastic, I surrender is probably their best song(along with Stone cold). I could listen to this diverse album over and over and never tire of it. Give this a chance and it will become your favorite.
55 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2010
This album is rock and roll it's just not a harder edge type of hard rock. It's more rock with some heavy pop overtones. And on that level it excels. A band can make different types of rock and roll and do it well. So if you take this on that level and say: "is this great rock and roll of it's type? hard rock with a pop edge?" then yes! and I don't find fault with it all. I do like the earlier rainbow albums alot and they are really well done but they are a different type of hard rock generally. This disc had hit singles and they were all good rock and pop rock songs. The best of them is: "It can't happen here" which is in many ways a classic rock song that was a hit by any standard. The song could be the soundtrack for every disaster movie and real disaster facing mankind since the seventies. because 'were using up the future!" as it points out. Plus we still face possible nuclear war due to rogue states such as Iran although at the time of this ablum we faced the Soviet communist empire and total destruction. This song could fit well on any rainbow cd as far as I am concerned. I like every song on this disc as well; even the poppier ones. And The lead singer can really sing which is another benefit that some of todays hard rock just lacks sadly. So if you like survivor , night ranger and other bands then you will like this one. And although the earlier rainbow stuff is different it's well worth a good listen too as well.
on September 20, 2006
I absolutely love this CD. Its full of very memorable and well constructed songs. Ritchie's playing as always is masterful and Joe Lynn Turner is a great singer.